SCT PRP? - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sc9tt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old January 2nd, 2016, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Regular

SCT PRP?

I am getting ready to make the leap into purchasing some tuning software. I would like feed back on what guys are using?pros and cons .........
I already have an sct x3 tuner for my car and have done a lot of datalogging using live wire.
My question is the SCT Prp or Advantage lll tuning software worth the money?
Thank you in Advance.

1999 MUSTANG GT COUPE DARK SATIN GREEN,
VORTECH V2 TREADSTONE FMIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:06 AM
Hot rod Stang

Garage
Ask TJ who is a dealer with SCT Motorvation | Custom Performance Tuning

"Roanstang" 3.7 DOHC Candy Red Metallic 2012 {RIP}
2014 DIB 3.7 w/ select shift/Sold
2016 Coyote Red/Airaid/AEM/SVE X-pipe/UPR catch/BMR cradle lock-out/J&M subframe bushings/
post #3 of 17 Old January 2nd, 2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
Ask TJ who is a dealer with SCT Motorvation | Custom Performance Tuning
will do ,
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old January 2nd, 2016, 12:30 PM
Hooo Ha Ha

Send a message via AIM to sharkbait
I had the PRP for my car for a while.

Gives you full access to everything to do what you need to

853rwhp @ 23psi
75mm Turbo 5.4 swap E85
#turbo2v

10.11 @ 138mph STOCK LONGBLOCK
9.11 @ 149mph - New Longblock /w Powerglide

www.JPCracing.com 410-729-0005 ext. 11

PM me if you need any parts or advice!
post #5 of 17 Old January 2nd, 2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
I had the PRP for my car for a while.

Gives you full access to everything to do what you need to
I really want to dial in my supercharger set up.
My 4r70w trans needs a little tweaking too.
Did you end up goung with another software?

post #6 of 17 Old January 2nd, 2016, 02:04 PM
Hooo Ha Ha

Send a message via AIM to sharkbait
I just bought a Holley EFI system for my car.

You should be able to do what your trying to do with the SCT PRP

853rwhp @ 23psi
75mm Turbo 5.4 swap E85
#turbo2v

10.11 @ 138mph STOCK LONGBLOCK
9.11 @ 149mph - New Longblock /w Powerglide

www.JPCracing.com 410-729-0005 ext. 11

PM me if you need any parts or advice!
post #7 of 17 Old January 2nd, 2016, 02:47 PM
Regular

Best decision I ever made was buying the PRP, learning to tune yourself is not as scary as some tuners make it seem. Having full control over my tune and being able to make changes on the fly is great. You also get the added benefit of learning how your car's PCM operates.

I highly recommend you buy SCT Pro Racer Packages PRP He will give you a base tune to begin with, making it a little easier. You also should get the book, it is very comprehensive and covers quite a lot of information.

I also recommend looking at EFIDynoTuning / Index, they have a lot of neat tricks and tips in tuning that I like to use.

And just to let you know advantage III and PRP are the same.
chicoman likes this.

2007 Mustang GT/CS - Bolt-Ons, 4.10s
2000 Mustang GT - Built Longblock & a big turbo (SOLD)
post #8 of 17 Old January 2nd, 2016, 03:05 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Most guys doing tuning on this forum either use the SCT PRP package or the Binary Editor (BE) system from Popsracing.com .

Both systems work and have their pluses and minuses, the SCT system has broader support as most pro tuners use it so there are more options to have a pro work with you on the tune.

The BE system has better datalogging, broader hardware support and some additional features not available with the SCT system.

With the BE system if you already have a pro tune in the car you can read it in and use it as your starting point.

I believe the BE system also lets you access portions of the tune you can't access with the SCT system but I could be wrong about that.

The BE system also allows you to either tune via flashing your EEC, like the SCT system does, or you can use a hardware system called QuarterHorse that actually allows you to make tune adjustments in real time while the motor is running, which is pretty slick.

The BE system isn't perfect but its pretty reliable once you get it set up.

On my 02 GT I could never get data logging to work reliably with my SCT X3, even after many calls to their tech line and multiple reflashes of the SCT unit, it would never datalog reliably.

Unfortunately this is an issue with the SCT devices on our year cars but it seems to be hit or miss, it works fine for some guys but others like me just can never get it to work.

In contrast once I got it settled down the BE system has been pretty reliable.

If you are interested in BE call Adam at popsracing, if you buy the system he'll log in to your PC and get it set up and get you to the point where you can write your first tune.

He's also a well respected tuner and for addition cost will also do remote tuning.

Whichever direction you decide to go, definitely get Don Lasota's book on tuning from: LaSota Racing Ford Tuning & Training

Also the forums and sites below have useful tuning information and you can get help and suggestions from other tuners:

EECTuning.org ? View forum - Tuning the EEC....

EFIDynoTuning ? Index page

EFIDynoTuning / Index

2002 GT/Auto/Vert
2.1 KB 12psi/2600 MAF/75mm Accufab TB
BE Tuner/PopsRacing
Silverfox VB/Circle D 3400 CV/Steeda LCA's+Subs
Control Boost from ControlBoost.com
post #9 of 17 Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:26 PM
MM Fanatic

I personally use Sniper Tuning/Delta Force Tuning on my own personal car. Its very similar to SCT. I like it alot. Its what I initially learned on.

I use SCT to tune other peoples cars... because its common. Its very similar to Delta Force and very easy to use. Tons of support out there.

Quarter Horse/Binary Editor - I use it on some peoples cars that want to be different. It has the best features of all the tuning software out there. Nothing like being able to make tune changes on the fly without a reflash. I can tune a car with BE in about 1/4 of the time that it takes to do it with SCT. The data logging is also significantly faster.

My advice for a beginner - If you know nothing about tuning or motors then buy PRP.

If you have played with motors and tunign before then buy BE.

The only reason i say that is because if you get stuck with BE there is alot less support out there for it than there is for PRP. If you buy PRP and cant tune your car you can take it to any tuner in the country and they are familiar with it.

1999 GT 630rwhp on pump, TFS Heads, MMR 4.75L, Highly Modified Kenne Bell 2.1 @ 20lbs, Custom Intercooler, JLT High Boost CAI, CMS Custom TFS Specific Cams, 3.55s, MGW, T56
post #10 of 17 Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBoy101 View Post
Most guys doing tuning on this forum either use the SCT PRP package or the Binary Editor (BE) system from Popsracing.com .

Both systems work and have their pluses and minuses, the SCT system has broader support as most pro tuners use it so there are more options to8 have a pro work with you on the tune.

The BE system has better datalogging, broader hardware support and some additional features not available with the SCT system.

With the BE system if you already have a pro tune in the car you can read it in and use it as your starting point.

I believe the BE system also lets you access portions of the tune you can't access with the SCT system but I could be wrong about that.

The BE system also allows you to either tune via flashing your EEC, like the SCT system does, or you can use a hardware system called QuarterHorse that actually allows you to make tune adjustments in real time while the motor is running, which is pretty slick.

The BE system isn't perfect but its pretty reliable once you get it set up.

On my 02 GT I could never get data logging to work reliably with my SCT X3, even after many calls to their tech line and multiple reflashes of the SCT unit, it would never datalog reliably.

Unfortunately this is an issue with the SCT devices on our year cars but it seems to be hit or miss, it works fine for some guys but others like me just can never get it to work.

In contrast once I got it settled down the BE system has been pretty reliable.

If you are interested in BE call Adam at popsracing, if you buy the system he'll log in to your PC and get it set up and get you to the point where you can write your first tune.

He's also a well respected tuner and for addition cost will also do remote tuning.

Whichever direction you decide to go, definitely get Don Lasota's book on tuning from: LaSota Racing Ford Tuning & Training

Also the forums and sites below have useful tuning information and you can get help and suggestions from other tuners:

EECTuning.org ? View forum - Tuning the EEC....

EFIDynoTuning ? Index page

EFIDynoTuning / Index
Great info.!
I have purchased Dons DVD and have been watching it.
Thanks

post #11 of 17 Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:29 PM
BYAHHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
I just bought a Holley EFI system for my car.

You should be able to do what your trying to do with the SCT PRP
Jelly.
post #12 of 17 Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitmare67 View Post
I personally use Sniper Tuning/Delta Force Tuning on my own personal car. Its very similar to SCT. I like it alot. Its what I initially learned on.

I use SCT to tune other peoples cars... because its common. Its very similar to Delta Force and very easy to use. Tons of support out there.

Quarter Horse/Binary Editor - I use it on some peoples cars that want to be different. It has the best features of all the tuning software out there. Nothing like being able to make tune changes on the fly without a reflash. I can tune a car with BE in about 1/4 of the time that it takes to do it with SCT. The data logging is also significantly faster.

My advice for a beginner - If you know nothing about tuning or motors then buy PRP.

If you have played with motors and tunign before then buy BE.

The only reason i say that is because if you get stuck with BE there is alot less support out there for it than there is for PRP. If you buy PRP and cant tune your car you can take it to any tuner in the country and they are familiar with it.
Thanks for your input!

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Thanks everyone for the pros and cons.
I appreciate the input and will consider your opinions. I will get back when and what I purchase.
More positive experience and input is always welcome.
Cheers

post #13 of 17 Old January 4th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast

PRP is the bomb, Don LaSota is awesome, and Greg Banish's book Calibrated Success is also very helpful. Tuning your own car is nowhere near as difficult as many would have you believe, and you'll almost always wind up with a MUCH better tune than if you paid someone to do it.

-Will

post #14 of 17 Old January 4th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky98gt View Post
Tuning your own car is nowhere near as difficult as many would have you believe, and you'll almost always wind up with a MUCH better tune than if you paid someone to do it.
I definitely agree with the above and think more guys in this hobby should make the jump and take over the tunes on their cars.

The most dangerous part of a custom tune is WOT but fortunately that's also the easiest part of the tune to do as long as you go slow and be careful.

At WOT there are only 2 parameters you are adjusting, your AFR and your spark so as long as your fuel system is solid and you have good datalogging its not hard to do.

Following the suggestion of some tuners on here (thanks fellas) I backed my spark down 5 degrees while working on the AFR to give room against detonation.

Then when the AFR is good over the full WOT RPM range, sneak your spark back up and boom, you are done (ok, bad choice of words).

2002 GT/Auto/Vert
BE Tuner/PopsRacing
post #15 of 17 Old January 4th, 2016, 03:00 PM
New time's coming soon!!!

Garage
Quote:
I definitely agree with the above and think more guys in this hobby should make the jump and take over the tunes on their cars.

The most dangerous part of a custom tune is WOT but fortunately that's also the easiest part of the tune to do as long as you go slow and be careful.

At WOT there are only 2 parameters you are adjusting, your AFR and your spark so as long as your fuel system is solid and you have good datalogging its not hard to do.

Following the suggestion of some tuners on here (thanks fellas) I backed my spark down 5 degrees while working on the AFR to give room against detonation.

Then when the AFR is good over the full WOT RPM range, sneak your spark back up and boom, you are done (ok, bad choice of words).
Have you had any problems with the global spark adder scalar? I used it and it didn't pull any spark so I had to go into my spark table and so it that way. Of course I didn't notice this until the pull was over with and started looking at the logs.

My Build Thread : https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-gt-build.html

D1SC 12-13psi 391rwhp 411rwtq
post #16 of 17 Old January 4th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

CJ, I didn't want to pull spark from the non-WOT loads so I just subtracted 4 degrees from the top load row of my spark tables.

Strange that the global spark val didn't work.

One other thing I'll be adding to my tune that I didn't know you can do that Nitemare told me about-

There are params that let you add or remove global spark from each individual cylinder.

Nitemare uses this to pull 1 degree from the back 2 cylinders that run a little hotter, ie number 4 and 8.

Somebody skilled at reading spark plugs could go further with this an optimize the WOT timing for each cylinder.

2002 GT/Auto/Vert
BE Tuner/PopsRacing
post #17 of 17 Old January 4th, 2016, 06:52 PM
New time's coming soon!!!

Garage
Quote:
CJ, I didn't want to pull spark from the non-WOT loads so I just subtracted 4 degrees from the top load row of my spark tables.

Strange that the global spark val didn't work.

One other thing I'll be adding to my tune that I didn't know you can do that Nitemare told me about-

There are params that let you add or remove global spark from each individual cylinder.

Nitemare uses this to pull 1 degree from the back 2 cylinders that run a little hotter, ie number 4 and 8.

Somebody skilled at reading spark plugs could go further with this an optimize the WOT timing for each cylinder.
I'll have to look into those parameters for sure once the cams and fuel system is finished.

My Build Thread : https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-gt-build.html

D1SC 12-13psi 391rwhp 411rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page