anyone in Wisconsin know a good tuner? - Forums at Modded Mustangs
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old January 14th, 2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
stang_me1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 15
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
anyone in Wisconsin know a good tuner?

I picked up a 01 with a vortech that was last done by kurgan motorsports a few years ago before they moved and just rebuilt the motor and added a fmic and some long tubes and would like to have it tuned again. I'm about a hour west of Madison so some travel is gonna happen but looking for some that does sct. Thanks, mike
stang_me1990 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old January 14th, 2016, 06:54 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,970
                 
iTrader: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_me1990 View Post
I picked up a 01 with a vortech that was last done by kurgan motorsports a few years ago before they moved and just rebuilt the motor and added a fmic and some long tubes and would like to have it tuned again. I'm about a hour west of Madison so some travel is gonna happen but looking for some that does sct. Thanks, mike
Tim Barth at Modular Powerhouse in Rockford, IL would be the closest. Think his website and facebook page are up. BarthTuning.com

Second choice would be Mike Post of DynotuneMP in Hampshire, IL.

You can get it tuned by Kurgan again if you want as he tunes out of Deans Performance in St. Charles, IL but choosing one of the two local guys would be better imo.
blownstang is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old January 14th, 2016, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast
 
PRODUCTIONMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 634
   
iTrader: 1 reviews
I agree with Blownstang. Mike is more user friendly but both are good tuners
PRODUCTIONMAN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 26 Old January 15th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Regular
 
99SilverGTVert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orland Park, IL
Posts: 232
 
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
I have used both Tim and Mike and I would choose Mike.

Vortech V3, Treadstone TR10, Magnapacks/Catted XPipe,Stack 70mm TB/Plenum, 3.73s, 377 RWHP, 370 RWTQ
99SilverGTVert is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old January 15th, 2016, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
stang_me1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 15
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Thanks I will check them out...two hour drive is way better than the four all the way to Chicago but either way would like to get as many parts on as possible before the tune. It will be fine to add the fmic and headers and hopefully a tb/plenum to make the drive to the tuner correct? Probably should add a lil more fuel pump to beforehand.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Do either prefer draw thru or should I make the switch to blow thru. ..it currently is draw thru and the throttle and drive ability is fine. Hoping the intercooler only drops it down to around 13# boost so not much should change
stang_me1990 is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old January 15th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Regular
 
99SilverGTVert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orland Park, IL
Posts: 232
 
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_me1990 View Post
Thanks I will check them out...two hour drive is way better than the four all the way to Chicago but either way would like to get as many parts on as possible before the tune. It will be fine to add the fmic and headers and hopefully a tb/plenum to make the drive to the tuner correct? Probably should add a lil more fuel pump to beforehand.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Do either prefer draw thru or should I make the switch to blow thru. ..it currently is draw thru and the throttle and drive ability is fine. Hoping the intercooler only drops it down to around 13# boost so not much should change
I did the switch from Draw Through to Blow Through and I definitely prefer Blow Through. It drives much better now. Also, the reason I would choose Mike is because Tim had my car for 3 months and could not get the Draw Through to Blow Through conversion to work correctly. Mike had the car a couple of days and had it working perfectly.

Vortech V3, Treadstone TR10, Magnapacks/Catted XPipe,Stack 70mm TB/Plenum, 3.73s, 377 RWHP, 370 RWTQ
99SilverGTVert is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old January 15th, 2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
stang_me1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 15
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
I just checked out Mikes site and read some reviews and looks like that is the place to go. Can I just weld a bung in to accept my maf and mafia? Would it still be safe to drive to tuner?
stang_me1990 is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old January 15th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Regular
 
99SilverGTVert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orland Park, IL
Posts: 232
 
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
anyone in Wisconsin know a good tuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_me1990 View Post
I just checked out Mikes site and read some reviews and looks like that is the place to go. Can I just weld a bung in to accept my maf and mafia? Would it still be safe to drive to tuner?

Call him and ask what he prefers. He should then send you a "start up tune" to get you there.

Vortech V3, Treadstone TR10, Magnapacks/Catted XPipe,Stack 70mm TB/Plenum, 3.73s, 377 RWHP, 370 RWTQ

Last edited by 99SilverGTVert; January 15th, 2016 at 09:23 PM.
99SilverGTVert is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old January 15th, 2016, 11:08 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,970
                 
iTrader: 2 reviews
Either can send you a start up tune so the car is driveable. Tim tuned mine when it was draw thru non intercooled and then when i converted to blow thru with an intercooler. Didnt notice any difference in driveability between the different mafs. Mike seems much more helpful when it comes to sharing information and trouble shooting. Even though i havent spent any money with him yet he was very helpful and prompt in answering all my questions and even calling Tim to discuss my car. Tim never charged for any minor tune tweaks and used to have a returning customer 50% off special for when you needed to come back for a tune with new mods or a new car, but that has gone away over the last year.
blownstang is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old January 15th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,970
                 
iTrader: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SilverGTVert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_me1990 View Post
Thanks I will check them out...two hour drive is way better than the four all the way to Chicago but either way would like to get as many parts on as possible before the tune. It will be fine to add the fmic and headers and hopefully a tb/plenum to make the drive to the tuner correct? Probably should add a lil more fuel pump to beforehand.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Do either prefer draw thru or should I make the switch to blow thru. ..it currently is draw thru and the throttle and drive ability is fine. Hoping the intercooler only drops it down to around 13# boost so not much should change
I did the switch from Draw Through to Blow Through and I definitely prefer Blow Through. It drives much better now. Also, the reason I would choose Mike is because Tim had my car for 3 months and could not get the Draw Through to Blow Through conversion to work correctly. Mike had the car a couple of days and had it working perfectly.
Im still shocked by this. He builds race cars from like the ground up from his home garage now and couldnt figure out your blow thru issue and he used to own Modular Powerhouse in Georgia, one of the most well known Mustang shops in the country pre 2010.
blownstang is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old January 15th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,970
                 
iTrader: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_me1990 View Post
I just checked out Mikes site and read some reviews and looks like that is the place to go. Can I just weld a bung in to accept my maf and mafia? Would it still be safe to drive to tuner?
Be sure to report back on your numbers and experience.
blownstang is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old January 15th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Regular
 
99SilverGTVert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orland Park, IL
Posts: 232
 
Garage
iTrader: 0 reviews
anyone in Wisconsin know a good tuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
Im still shocked by this. He builds race cars from like the ground up from his home garage now and couldnt figure out your blow thru issue and he used to own Modular Powerhouse in Georgia, one of the most well known Mustang shops in the country pre 2010.

Me too! It was a horrible experience.

Vortech V3, Treadstone TR10, Magnapacks/Catted XPipe,Stack 70mm TB/Plenum, 3.73s, 377 RWHP, 370 RWTQ
99SilverGTVert is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old January 15th, 2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
stang_me1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 15
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
Be sure to report back on your numbers and experience.
I will be getting it out of storage as soon as the weather gets better so can get the parts bolted on. Dam buggy and powder oven take up to much room in my garage. The po said it made 455 when they were around 20# but then backed it down to 15# and sprayed a 50 shot so will like to know for sure after getting a few more parts on. Want to be around 500
stang_me1990 is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old January 15th, 2016, 01:21 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,970
                 
iTrader: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_me1990 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
Be sure to report back on your numbers and experience.
I will be getting it out of storage as soon as the weather gets better so can get the parts bolted on. Dam buggy and powder oven take up to much room in my garage. The po said it made 455 when they were around 20# but then backed it down to 15# and sprayed a 50 shot so will like to know for sure after getting a few more parts on. Want to be around 500
This is a GT? What trim is the blower? 20lbs of boost and only 455rwhp? Something is wrong. My stock motor 03 GT made 411rwhp on 12psi with a Vortech V1 S trim.
blownstang is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old January 15th, 2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
stang_me1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 15
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
This is a GT? What trim is the blower? 20lbs of boost and only 455rwhp? Something is wrong. My stock motor 03 GT made 411rwhp on 12psi with a Vortech V1 S trim.
Yea it's a gt, my guess they didn't have enough fuel pump to turn it up more...only has a 255 in it and through the stock tb/plenum and factory manifolds. It is a v1 t-trim with a 2.87 pulley on it, it's still around 15#
stang_me1990 is offline  
post #16 of 26 Old January 15th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast
 
BigJohnson03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 700
   
iTrader: 0 reviews
I used Mike and was very happy with him. He is very helpful and his turn around is fast too

2003 Sonic Blue GT

The day I took it home
BigJohnson03 is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old January 15th, 2016, 04:49 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,970
                 
iTrader: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_me1990 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
This is a GT? What trim is the blower? 20lbs of boost and only 455rwhp? Something is wrong. My stock motor 03 GT made 411rwhp on 12psi with a Vortech V1 S trim.
Yea it's a gt, my guess they didn't have enough fuel pump to turn it up more...only has a 255 in it and through the stock tb/plenum and factory manifolds. It is a v1 t-trim with a 2.87 pulley on it, it's still around 15#
Mike will take care of you. A single 255 pump usually maxes in the 380-420rwhp range. Few make it past that. No intercooler and 2.87 pulley on a T trim would be at least 20psi and even with stock manifolds and plenum would push much much further than mid 400's and a single 255 pump would never keep up. Longtubes dont show huge gains on these motors if you already have a supercharger. You have a forged shortblock? What intercooler and longtubes did you go with? Did you add a bigger pump or bap?
blownstang is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old January 16th, 2016, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
stang_me1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 15
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
Mike will take care of you. A single 255 pump usually maxes in the 380-420rwhp range. Few make it past that. No intercooler and 2.87 pulley on a T trim would be at least 20psi and even with stock manifolds and plenum would push much much further than mid 400's and a single 255 pump would never keep up. Longtubes dont show huge gains on these motors if you already have a supercharger. You have a forged shortblock? What intercooler and longtubes did you go with? Did you add a bigger pump or bap?
It has a bap and meth...yea the internals are forged With heads and cams. Bought the cx intercooler kit. Was thinking dropping cobra pumps in my stock tank?
stang_me1990 is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old January 17th, 2016, 11:02 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
blownstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,970
                 
iTrader: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_me1990 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
Mike will take care of you. A single 255 pump usually maxes in the 380-420rwhp range. Few make it past that. No intercooler and 2.87 pulley on a T trim would be at least 20psi and even with stock manifolds and plenum would push much much further than mid 400's and a single 255 pump would never keep up. Longtubes dont show huge gains on these motors if you already have a supercharger. You have a forged shortblock? What intercooler and longtubes did you go with? Did you add a bigger pump or bap?
It has a bap and meth...yea the internals are forged With heads and cams. Bought the cx intercooler kit. Was thinking dropping cobra pumps in my stock tank?
You have a setup for 600rwhp but the fuel for 475rwhp at best. Definitely need dual pumps. One guy on here made like 410rwhp with Comp 270 cams, stock heads, an intercooled T trim at 7psi, and very conservative tune. What kind of cams? You should be breaking 500rwhp if your car makes anything more than 12psi.
blownstang is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old January 18th, 2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
stang_me1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 15
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
You have a setup for 600rwhp but the fuel for 475rwhp at best. Definitely need dual pumps. One guy on here made like 410rwhp with Comp 270 cams, stock heads, an intercooled T trim at 7psi, and very conservative tune. What kind of cams? You should be breaking 500rwhp if your car makes anything more than 12psi.
I'm not sure what cams are in it, the po said it had a mild blower cam, I am pretty sure I took a pic of the numbers on them when we put in the new pistons so I'll look there or through the receipts. I didn't think it had enough fuel pump even with the bap. Will look into the dual cobra into stock gt tank option. Guess will be getting pumps/hat instead of tb/plenum. According to the boost guage the meth starts spraying at 8#...thing pulls hard...but it does just have a cheaper a/f not a wide band with its own sensor
stang_me1990 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome