MM Torque Arm Review - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old March 10th, 2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA

Garage
MM Torque Arm Review

So, I finally got a torque arm, and finished off my rear suspension setup. Coil overs go in tomorrow. Install was... time consuming, but mostly because I can't weld, so I needed to wait for a friend who can to do it for me. The rest of the install went smoothly enough, and he did a fantastic job putting it together. Even painted the subframes for me again. I owe him quite a few drinks for this one.

As for the review: A-fucking-plus, Maximum Motorsports. This piece of metal completely changed the way it feels to drive this car. Each time I add new suspension stuff, the car feels better, but this was next level. Go get one.

Normally, when you step on the gas, the nose of the car lifts up a bit, and the car squats. Not so, anymore. Now, you hit the gas, and your body gets planted back in the seat and the car moves the fuck out. Grip and go! Coming out of a corner, no tail happy traction loss, you just point and shoot and the car ends up where you want it. It's not a Mustang anymore, it's better. Even braking is improved. Instead of nosediving, the car stays flat and planted. In turns, the body roll is, if not eliminated completely, minimized as much as possible.

I can't imagine how much better it would be with a proper coil over setup with appropriate spring rates.

If you were thinking about it, stop, and just get one. I'll throw some pictures up when I get back to my office.

The pictures I took are bad, and I should feel bad, but here they are:

You can see that the subframe connectors had some rust in the first picture, but it got scraped and painted and looks way better now. No excuse for the exhaust though...

StangAddiction and macuser27 like this.

'01 GT Convertible
Maximum Motorsports TQA|PHB|FLSFC|LCA|Coilovers
D&D T56 Magnum; Cobra R Brakes; Sparco Seats
Tuned by Mustang Magic and so much other stuff

'16 Fiesta ST
Cobb FMIC, Turbo-back exhaust, RMM and Air Filter
Tuned by Stratified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old March 10th, 2016, 07:52 PM
MOAR BOOST

Garage
Did you have to modify the exhaust at all to get it to fit ?

Turbo Build Thread
post #3 of 33 Old March 10th, 2016, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSix View Post
Did you have to modify the exhaust at all to get it to fit ?
Not at all. The magnaflow x-pipe has plenty of space for the crossmember and grease joint to fit just after the x. The instructions specifically call out the bassani x-pipe as requiring modification, however, and provide detailed instructions.

'01 GT Convertible

'16 Fiesta ST
Tuned by Stratified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old March 10th, 2016, 10:00 PM
MOAR BOOST

Garage
I was more curious about tailpipes actually. I have a custom 3" Turbo back so that would probably need reworked anyways lol

Turbo Build Thread
post #5 of 33 Old March 10th, 2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSix View Post
I was more curious about tailpipes actually. I have a custom 3" Turbo back so that would probably need reworked anyways lol
I'm running stock cat back, and they were nowhere near the arm, really. The panhard rod that is a requirement for the torque arm would definitely get in the way of anything that didn't follow the exact routing of the stock exhaust though (bassani would be out again). Flow master, magnaflow and pypes should be fine, from my understanding. Not sure about borla.

'01 GT Convertible

'16 Fiesta ST
Tuned by Stratified
post #6 of 33 Old March 10th, 2016, 11:38 PM
Dat guy

are you able to get 60ft times from before and after the install by chance? or can you say its a definite improvement in a straight line performance? what did you have before as far as springs, shocks'struts and control arms go?

bolt ons
post #7 of 33 Old March 11th, 2016, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogone3 View Post
are you able to get 60ft times from before and after the install by chance? or can you say its a definite improvement in a straight line performance? what did you have before as far as springs, shocks'struts and control arms go?
Never drag raced it, sorry. It's my autocross car. I can confidently say that it is a definite improvement is straight line performance. It drastically increased my rear grip. I want to see what rpm I can drop the clutch at to break the tires loose, but I could only get about 15 minutes of play-time in before I realized I had installed the TOB too close to the pressure plate and could hear it tapping. First event this year is next weekend, so I'll get a real world test of the thing in action then.

I have maximum motorsports lower control arms, and the uppers get deleted with the torque arm, but I was using stock ones before. I'm using the Eibach Pro-Kit springs/shocks/struts (actually, the springs are only 5 months old, and I'm removing them tomorrow, so if someone wants them, PM me). I am putting the coilovers in tomorrow.

'01 GT Convertible

'16 Fiesta ST
Tuned by Stratified
post #8 of 33 Old March 11th, 2016, 01:42 AM
Corner Carvin

Garage
DUUUUDE!!!! Awesome!! Your car is going to handle like a raped ape with the rear C/O. I say ditch your tailpipes and put a watts link

The good thing is, your car will do better in every facet of motorsports with the torque arm. It makes the car plant and go, especially when paired with a PHB or watts link.

Congratulations on a fine suspension addition!!!

BTW, still kicking around buying the cobra R rack. I might sell the car for a penis enhancing c5 ZO6.
nileppezdel77! likes this.

99 cobra- Slow
post #9 of 33 Old March 11th, 2016, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCP281 View Post
BTW, still kicking around buying the cobra R rack. I might sell the car for a penis enhancing c5 ZO6.
Boooo! Boooo, JCP281!

After everything I've done to this car, I can't justify getting rid of it, so mostly I'm just jealous. Cobra R rack + MM shaft is the upgrade after next. First is a rebuilt rear end. I replaced the rear pinion seal and discovered sludgy black diff oil, which is not a good sign. T2 and 31 spline axles, it is!
JCP281 likes this.

'01 GT Convertible

'16 Fiesta ST
Tuned by Stratified
post #10 of 33 Old March 11th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to StangAddiction
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileppezdel77! View Post
Boooo! Boooo, JCP281!

After everything I've done to this car, I can't justify getting rid of it, so mostly I'm just jealous. Cobra R rack + MM shaft is the upgrade after next. First is a rebuilt rear end. I replaced the rear pinion seal and discovered sludgy black diff oil, which is not a good sign. T2 and 31 spline axles, it is!
IIRC, AGR Performance sells a Cobra R spec rack for $450-500 range. Where where you planning on sourcing your rack from if you dont mind me asking?

USN - E5
-------
1999 GT: 2 Spun Rod Bearings
2007 Cadillac CTS-V: Bone stock
post #11 of 33 Old March 11th, 2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangAddiction View Post
IIRC, AGR Performance sells a Cobra R spec rack for $450-500 range. Where where you planning on sourcing your rack from if you dont mind me asking?
That's the one. Summit sells them.
StangAddiction likes this.

'01 GT Convertible

'16 Fiesta ST
Tuned by Stratified
post #12 of 33 Old March 11th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Look Ma! My First Post!

Interested in your springs as my first auto cross is in a week.
post #13 of 33 Old March 11th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Regular

Congrats on the new mod! Suspension mods is one of those non-flashy things you do, but it makes a huge improvement every time you drive the car.
I feel like the torque arm is one of the most under rated mods that can be done to a Mustang. I know it takes a lot of work and money to get everything working together well, but it completely changes the car. If there is anything that improves the mustang as much as the torque arm, let me know. In the meantime I will go embarrass some more Porsche Boxster, Cayman and 996/7 Carrera owners on the road track. I got Hallett raceway in April, novice day with newb co-workers. It's gonna be a bloodbath.
nileppezdel77! likes this.

2003 GT
The Whole Maximum Motorsports Catalog | Cobra Brakes F&R | Brake ducts F&R | Much More | Built for Road Course
post #14 of 33 Old March 11th, 2016, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheelwhore View Post
Interested in your springs as my first auto cross is in a week.
Forgot to mention that I'm running a convertible, which means the spring rates are 502-570 lb/in. up front and
171-314 lb/in. in the rear. They won't drop the car as much and are a bit stiffer in the rear than the springs meant for the coupes. If that's OK with you, let me know.

'01 GT Convertible

'16 Fiesta ST
Tuned by Stratified
post #15 of 33 Old March 11th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Regular

How much did the entire kit cost you with the panhard bar.
post #16 of 33 Old March 11th, 2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou94stang View Post
How much did the entire kit cost you with the panhard bar.
I bought the parts during the weekend deals MM has towards the end of each year. The only thing I paid full price for was the coilover kit, which was very pricey. Something close to $1500. The Torque arm was $404.00 and the panhard rod was $359.95 (back in 2011 when I bought it... can't believe it's been so long!). The subframe connectors I got back in '09 when I bought the car, and I don't have an email confirmation, which means I bought them at the speed shop I got my tune from (Mustang Magic) and I have no idea what I paid.

To be clear though, you don't *need* coilovers for the kit, but it does seem to make sense to change your spring rate. I could have lived with just the eibach springs and the torque arm.

'01 GT Convertible

'16 Fiesta ST
Tuned by Stratified
post #17 of 33 Old March 11th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileppezdel77! View Post
I bought the parts during the weekend deals MM has towards the end of each year. The only thing I paid full price for was the coilover kit, which was very pricey. Something close to $1500. The Torque arm was $404.00 and the panhard rod was $359.95 (back in 2011 when I bought it... can't believe it's been so long!). The subframe connectors I got back in '09 when I bought the car, and I don't have an email confirmation, which means I bought them at the speed shop I got my tune from (Mustang Magic) and I have no idea what I paid.

To be clear though, you don't *need* coilovers for the kit, but it does seem to make sense to change your spring rate. I could have lived with just the eibach springs and the torque arm.

Are you happy with mustang magic. I live in long island and building a turbo 2v convertible right now and was undecided on Reslspeed or Mustang Magic for the tune. What did they charge you for your tune?

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

And actually originally from Brooklyn.
post #18 of 33 Old March 11th, 2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Are you happy with mustang magic. I live in long island and building a turbo 2v convertible right now and was undecided on Reslspeed or Mustang Magic for the tune. What did they charge you for your tune?
I was and still am happy with work they had done. Haven't been in a while, but Joe helps me out with questions over the phone still, which is nice since I haven't had his shop do anything for me in 4 years ha-ha. I got the tune way back in 2010, and I honestly can't remember and don't want to guess what they charged me. They are not a cheap option though. I fully plan to go back to them for a tune on my new engine once it's done, regardless of their pricing, if that says anything.

'01 GT Convertible

'16 Fiesta ST
Tuned by Stratified
post #19 of 33 Old March 11th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Regular

Ok thanks if you need someone local in Brooklyn I have a friend that used mustang Mike on 65th st
post #20 of 33 Old March 11th, 2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Ok thanks if you need someone local in Brooklyn I have a friend that used mustang Mike on 65th st
No shit? My buddy Tommy's shop is where I get most stuff done, it's on 75th and 3rd and he lets me use a lift and whatever tools I need when I want to work on it myself. My office is only a couple blocks up from there on 75th and 5th, so it's super convenient. Are we seriously 10 blocks away from each other? You in Bay Ridge?

Edit: Errr... I read that wrong, your friend is in Brooklyn. haha. Oh well.

'01 GT Convertible

'16 Fiesta ST
Tuned by Stratified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page