The Infamous Ticking Noise - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old March 25th, 2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Regular

The Infamous Ticking Noise

I've been on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what this ticking noise is, and I don't know what else it could be without just taking it apart and looking around. The ticking is constant at any temp, and increases with engine speed. I've checked for intake/exhaust leaks, and I've flushed the motor and replaced the oil, but no change in the tick.

After reading around on a bunch of other forums, I'm seeing this issue is pretty common, but none of the other threads are giving me enough info to pinpoint my own issue. Most people's issue seems to be either excessive lash, or a worn timing chain tensioner, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the same noise and could help me out

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

https://youtu.be/M9NG4GHyvkI
Here is a video, it's a little hard to hear over my exhaust, it seems to be louder in the wheel well, I'll try and post a better video later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old March 25th, 2016, 02:23 PM
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredpony69 View Post
I've been on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what this ticking noise is, and I don't know what else it could be without just taking it apart and looking around. The ticking is constant at any temp, and increases with engine speed. I've checked for intake/exhaust leaks, and I've flushed the motor and replaced the oil, but no change in the tick.

After reading around on a bunch of other forums, I'm seeing this issue is pretty common, but none of the other threads are giving me enough info to pinpoint my own issue. Most people's issue seems to be either excessive lash, or a worn timing chain tensioner, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the same noise and could help me out

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

https://youtu.be/M9NG4GHyvkI
Here is a video, it's a little hard to hear over my exhaust, it seems to be louder in the wheel well, I'll try and post a better video later

Mine makes that noise, but I never thought much about it. I just assumed it was loud injectors or something similarly innocuous. All my timing stuff was changed relatively recently and it made no difference, so I don't think it's that.

'01 GT Convertible
Maximum Motorsports TQA|PHB|FLSFC|LCA|Coilovers
D&D T56 Magnum; Cobra R Brakes; Sparco Seats
Tuned by Mustang Magic and so much other stuff

'16 Fiesta ST
Cobb FMIC, Turbo-back exhaust, RMM and Air Filter
Tuned by Stratified
post #3 of 12 Old March 25th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Regular

To me it sounds like an exhaust leak by the driver side header. Have you used a screw driver/stethoscope to listen to certain parts directly? could help you pin point the area. I also went through the same ticking issue and listened around and tested, after a while I decided it was coming from the valve cover and decided to replace the lash adjusters. Turns out it was actually the header leaking creating a really loud metal to metal ticking noise.

2007 Mustang GT/CS - Bolt-Ons, 4.10s
2000 Mustang GT - Built Longblock & a big turbo (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old March 25th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Regular

X2 on the exhaust leak. They can be tricky to track down
post #5 of 12 Old March 25th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA

Garage
Huh. I've had that noise for years. I was looking for an excuse to get some kooks long tubes, and now I think you folks just gave me one! Thanks!

'01 GT Convertible
Maximum Motorsports TQA|PHB|FLSFC|LCA|Coilovers
D&D T56 Magnum; Cobra R Brakes; Sparco Seats
Tuned by Mustang Magic and so much other stuff

'16 Fiesta ST
Cobb FMIC, Turbo-back exhaust, RMM and Air Filter
Tuned by Stratified
post #6 of 12 Old March 25th, 2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Regular

I'll check the header gaskets, the mid pipe and headers are tightened up and no leaks along any of the exhaust piping. when I have a chance I'll try to use a screwdriver to figure out exactly where the noise is coming from.
post #7 of 12 Old March 26th, 2016, 12:48 AM
Regular

My car has the same sound. It's had it since I bought it. I thought it was a problem, someone said "I can hear a small exhaust leak" etc. After quite a bit of asking around and reading online, I found out that it's the lifters. They are noisy and it's very common. I had a buddy sell his truck because he though the engine was shot.

Not as pronounced but you can definitely hear the same clicking sound. This is a crown vic I believe. You can hear it starting around 1minute.
post #8 of 12 Old March 26th, 2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahomeless View Post
My car has the same sound. It's had it since I bought it. I thought it was a problem, someone said "I can hear a small exhaust leak" etc. After quite a bit of asking around and reading online, I found out that it's the lifters. They are noisy and it's very common. I had a buddy sell his truck because he though the engine was shot.

Not as pronounced but you can definitely hear the same clicking sound. This is a crown vic I believe. You can hear it starting around 1minute.
Noisy lifters / rocker arms on cold 4.6L Modular 2v engine - YouTube
That video is spot on with the sound I'm having, and after listening around with a shot glass on my car, I'm pretty sure it's coming from the drivers side valve cover. I'm gonna take the valve covers off Tuesday and check it out, and that gives me an excuse to paint the valve covers while I'm at it.
post #9 of 12 Old March 27th, 2016, 04:27 AM

If it is a lifter I've heard that the mod motor lifters can be renewed by removing them and soaking them in oil for a while.

You don't hire smart people and tell them what to do. You hire smart people so they can tell YOU what to do -Steve Jobs
post #10 of 12 Old March 27th, 2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.will View Post
If it is a lifter I've heard that the mod motor lifters can be renewed by removing them and soaking them in oil for a while.

I will have to try that out, hopefully none of them are damaged and just need to be cleaned and tightened up.
post #11 of 12 Old March 29th, 2016, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Regular

I've been noticing another noise, a squeaking sound that can only be heard while sitting in the drivers seat, it's almost impossible to hear with the windows down or under the hood.

It's annoying the piss out of me while I'm sitting at a light or parking spot with the windows up, especially a since my radio isn't working right now either.

Anyone else ever had this noise?

2003 Mustang GT
K&N Cold Air/BBK 78mm Throttle intake/BBK long tubes/BBK cat less X-pipe/Flowmaster 40s
post #12 of 12 Old April 2nd, 2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Regular

No update on the ticking, haven't had a chance to pull it apart yet, but I found a couple TSBs that pertain to my car, one about the ticking noise in engines built before 9/30/03, and mine was in April of the same year.

I didn't see a service copy of the TSB so I don't know what the recommended service was, does anyone know where I can look them up?

Update on the noise I'm hearing inside the cabin, it was beginning to sound worse, and I believe it's the belt tensioner, I'm going to replace that tomorrow afternoon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page