Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MineralGreyGT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old April 7th, 2016, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Stainless Steel Brake Lines

So lately under hard breaking my car pulls to the left leading me to believe I have a stuck caliper. I was going to replace both front calipers and was looking at stainless steel brake lines and it seems most places only sell kits for the front. My brakes are spongy plus the stock lines are 15+ years old now.

Is it really worth upgrading the rears to stainless or should I just go stock with them?

Thanks!

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old April 7th, 2016, 07:59 AM

Yes it is worth upgrading the SS lines will not swell like a rubber line which means instead of getting a line buldge under hard braking youll get constant pressure at the caliper.

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #3 of 19 Old April 7th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA

Garage
Let me know if you find a rear kit, looking to do the same. I only upgraded the fronts so far.

'01 GT Convertible
Maximum Motorsports TQA|PHB|FLSFC|LCA|Coilovers
D&D T56 Magnum; Cobra R Brakes; Sparco Seats
Tuned by Mustang Magic and so much other stuff

'16 Fiesta ST
Cobb FMIC, Turbo-back exhaust, RMM and Air Filter
Tuned by Stratified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old April 7th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast

SS lines are definitely nice and all, but you'll see a bigger difference by simply flushing the fluid. I changed the fluid in mine last year (for the first time in at least the 10 years that I've owned it), and the improvement was incredible.

-Will

post #5 of 19 Old April 7th, 2016, 09:58 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Stock replacement lines. You wont notice any difference under normal driving conditions. If you do excessive road course braking then get the SS. I think AM carries rears. Might be made by J&M.
post #6 of 19 Old April 7th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Regular

Unless you're doing any autocross or open track events, just get stock rubber lines if yours are brittle or you think they need to be replaced. You could get a caliper rebuild kit. Stock V6/GT calipers are probably pretty cheap though. To cure the spongy feeling you most likely just need to flush the fluid.

2003 GT
The Whole Maximum Motorsports Catalog | Cobra Brakes F&R | Brake ducts F&R | Much More | Built for Road Course
post #7 of 19 Old April 7th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Regular

I just used the maximum motorsports cobra rear kit on my Bullitt. There is an extra little bracket it comes with on the line, but it works.
post #8 of 19 Old April 7th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast

When i did the Mach1/Cobra front brake swap on my 99GT i bought replacement rear calipers and rear SS lines all around. when i get home i can give you a part # that i used for my rears.
post #9 of 19 Old April 7th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Carving corners

post #10 of 19 Old April 7th, 2016, 01:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurma View Post
When i did the Mach1/Cobra front brake swap on my 99GT i bought replacement rear calipers and rear SS lines all around. when i get home i can give you a part # that i used for my rears.
Thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky98gt View Post
SS lines are definitely nice and all, but you'll see a bigger difference by simply flushing the fluid. I changed the fluid in mine last year (for the first time in at least the 10 years that I've owned it), and the improvement was incredible.
When I got my front Brembos, they came with SS lines. I didn't have time to replace them, but did put the rotors/calipers on. So, for a week, I drove, all city, with the stock rubber which was still in good shape. Felt good, the brakes were pretty obviously much, much better than stock. When I replaced the lines with SS though, the pedal feel went from good to holy shit these are amazing. Pedal was nice and tight and held firm through the travel, none of the mushy 3 inches of travel before you feel the brakes bullshit like the stock brakes have. SS lines, in my humble opinion, are awesome and I've since put them on my W123 Mercedes as well, and had the same positive result.

'01 GT Convertible

'16 Fiesta ST
Tuned by Stratified
post #11 of 19 Old April 7th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast

Stainless steel brake line Part numbers

Front Mach1/Cobra calipers are - MMBK2F

Rear GT calipers - JM-22522

Love me a W123 by the way, one day i want a 220D with a 4 speed
post #12 of 19 Old April 7th, 2016, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Since I drive the car so minimally, and it's street driven, and the cost difference is insane, I will probably stick with stock rubber.

I appreciate all the feedback!

post #13 of 19 Old April 7th, 2016, 09:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurma View Post

Love me a W123 by the way, one day i want a 220D with a 4 speed
Thanks for the part #s !

Just got the 300d repainted. I set up a "garage" for it on the site, actually.

'01 GT Convertible

'16 Fiesta ST
Tuned by Stratified
post #14 of 19 Old April 8th, 2016, 01:42 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky98gt View Post
This. I don't get why people ignore it. It makes a world of difference. Properly flushing and bleeding is likely better maintenance than to put unnecessary replacement parts on.
post #15 of 19 Old April 8th, 2016, 02:41 AM
Regular

Most local hydraulic shops in your town can so custom brake lines. The last car i had them done on (96GT), i just took the original rubbee lines in and had them make up stainless ones. Cost about $125-150 for all of them. Replacement stock lines were about the same price
post #16 of 19 Old April 8th, 2016, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahomeless View Post
This. I don't get why people ignore it. It makes a world of difference. Properly flushing and bleeding is likely better maintenance than to put unnecessary replacement parts on.
I should have elaborated I apologize. I'm always on the go and keep my posts short when on the phone.

I'm going to replace the front calipers and all 4 brake lines since the system will be open anyway. 15 year old car and they are so cheap why not. After I bleed it I'm going to get the fluid flushed. The PO service records show it was never done so that means 15 year old fluid. I'm usually good about flushing fluids. Brakes just slip my mind until I get some sort of reminder to do it

---------- Post added at 05:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_W View Post
Most local hydraulic shops in your town can so custom brake lines. The last car i had them done on (96GT), i just took the original rubbee lines in and had them make up stainless ones. Cost about $125-150 for all of them. Replacement stock lines were about the same price
Replacement stock lines run about 45 bucks shipped off rockauto for either Dorman or raybestos brand. Granted I'm still doing homework but that's a good price for a shop to make compared to what lmr and am is charging. EBay sells kits a bit cheaper for SS lines but not by much

post #17 of 19 Old April 8th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
I should have elaborated I apologize. I'm always on the go and keep my posts short when on the phone.

I'm going to replace the front calipers and all 4 brake lines since the system will be open anyway. 15 year old car and they are so cheap why not. After I bleed it I'm going to get the fluid flushed. The PO service records show it was never done so that means 15 year old fluid. I'm usually good about flushing fluids. Brakes just slip my mind until I get some sort of reminder to do it

---------- Post added at 05:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 AM ----------

Replacement stock lines run about 45 bucks shipped off rockauto for either Dorman or raybestos brand. Granted I'm still doing homework but that's a good price for a shop to make compared to what lmr and am is charging. EBay sells kits a bit cheaper for SS lines but not by much
Yea rock auto wasnt around when I did those.

I believe you can buy the parts and materials from jegs/summit to make your own as well.
post #18 of 19 Old April 9th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Regular

Quote:

No worries, that was not directed at you. More of a general rant. If you do both, you should have a nice improvement in braking.
post #19 of 19 Old April 13th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileppezdel77! View Post
When I got my front Brembos, they came with SS lines. I didn't have time to replace them, but did put the rotors/calipers on. So, for a week, I drove, all city, with the stock rubber which was still in good shape. Felt good, the brakes were pretty obviously much, much better than stock. When I replaced the lines with SS though, the pedal feel went from good to holy shit these are amazing. Pedal was nice and tight and held firm through the travel, none of the mushy 3 inches of travel before you feel the brakes bullshit like the stock brakes have. SS lines, in my humble opinion, are awesome and I've since put them on my W123 Mercedes as well, and had the same positive result.
Don't get me wrong, SS lines are absolutely an improvement. I've got several close family members with Cobras, Mach 1s, and Bullitts, so I'm well aware of how nice their brakes feel.

All I was saying was that you will notice a larger difference by flushing the fluid (and thus fully bleeding everything), than you will by putting SS lines on with old fluid. Doing both is, by far, the best solution for a really solid pedal feel, but one of those is virtually free, and the other costs quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahomeless View Post
Yup, 100% agreed. After I did it in my Mustang and saw the results, I immediately bled and flushed the fluid in my '01 Civic. Same thing there, too: HUGE improvement.

Quote:
I'm usually good about flushing fluids. Brakes just slip my mind until I get some sort of reminder to do it
I think that's the case for just about everyone. Most people don't see it as a maintenance item (and technically it isn't), so they don't worry about it. But for $5 worth of new fluid and maybe an hour of time for such a huge improvement, I'd say it's something that needs to be done every couple of years for sure. At least every time you put new pads on it.

-Will

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page