3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dans02GT
  • 1 Post By Tang Stang
  • 1 Post By limited

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old April 7th, 2016, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Modded guys running 91 octane...

I've been reading up on Kenne Bell's site and they claim that the most you should run on 91 octane is 8psi (if intercooled). I really wanted to run 9-11psi and I'm sure I've seen some people doing the same, making around making 400ish whp on 91 octane, but can't find them anymore. I've searched here / svt / corral / etc

SO to restore my confidence, anyone here running (preferably Kenne Bell) superchargers on 91 octane? Post up your numbers. Extra points if you're on the stock block

edit: custom tunes are expected, I doubt it'd be smart to run 91 10psi on KB's tune..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old April 7th, 2016, 01:49 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Its all in the tune man. The reason people run higher octane is because it burns at a higher rate decreasing knock. You can prevent knock by running more timing. Or by running a meth kit.

2000 Mustang GT vert - Gone
2002 Mustang GT coupe - Sold on 12/20/17
2007 BMW 335i
1994 BMW 328i - Foxbody 5.0 Swap
post #3 of 16 Old April 7th, 2016, 02:06 PM
_

Might need meth to get there safely. What cams are you running?

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old April 7th, 2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgst View Post
Its all in the tune man. The reason people run higher octane is because it burns at a higher rate decreasing knock. You can prevent knock by running more timing. Or by running a meth kit.
That's what I've read, but I don't know how much running more timing = less HP, and how much I can expect. I was hoping to find a decent dyno graph for 91 but I can't find one anywhere. I did find this guy on reddit running 91 octane, he claims 400whp but I'm sure he's just quoting KB's numbers. He had a pinging issue but it seems like it was fuel pump related:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MustangTech...i_fuel_issues/

sage: stock cams

I want to bolt on the KB 2.1 kit with the big tube kit and hit 400whp with a tune from Eric Brooks. If I can't get there on 91 octane then its not worth it for me and I'll look elsewhere.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

Found calboy's thread here, running 91 octane on 12psi running 7.7 in the 1/8th, which according to some converter I found off google should be approx low 12s in the 1/4th, which is right in line with most people running 400whp on 93ish

https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-pump-gas.html
post #5 of 16 Old April 7th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Regular

Im at 350hp to the wheels with 1.7 kenne bell, 8# non intercooled. I run 91 because that's the highest octane i can get around me. Not really sure if thats exactly safe, definitely not ideal, but i plan to get it dyno tuned either this weekend or next.
post #6 of 16 Old April 7th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Regular

I don't have hp numbers for you at the rear wheels...but I am running 91 octane..at 9psi on a 2.1L Kenne Bell. It is my belief, and their documentation states, that their bjg tube kit and fenderwell CAI increase the boost slightly, as my kit was probably pullied for 8psi as I indicated to them that 91 octane is all I can get.

My boost gauge, an Autometer unit, reads 9psi when it goes into boost.
post #7 of 16 Old April 7th, 2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001MineralGreyGt View Post
I don't have hp numbers for you at the rear wheels...but I am running 91 octane..at 9psi on a 2.1L Kenne Bell. It is my belief, and their documentation states, that their bjg tube kit and fenderwell CAI increase the boost slightly, as my kit was probably pullied for 8psi as I indicated to them that 91 octane is all I can get.

Thats good news. Drives well? Feels much quicker? No pinging? On KBs standard chip? Ever been to the track?

sorry for the barrage of questions
post #8 of 16 Old April 7th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Regular

Drives great! Have not been to the track..but, I did race a 2016 GT, with an exhaust and intake...he was no match from both a dig and roll. Of course, said race took place in Mexico and on a closed course. (ahem)

I am running the KB tune, and I bought the "switch chip" which, I think, is all you would need. This is why: Am I to expect that KB does not know how to tune their kits for maximum *safe* power, after having designed the kits themselves?

According to KB, adding race gas, flipping the switch, and I get 20 more rwhp. No pulley changes, safe on my stock block. Then, when done, just flip the switch back...fill it with 91 octane..and enjoy my A/C and stereo!
post #9 of 16 Old April 7th, 2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
different octane rated fuels don't burn at significantly different rates on that basis alone.

octane ratings are a comparison to allow you to determine the resistance to detonation.

too much heat and pressure will cause a fuel to ignite without a spark. This murders engines, as it creates an extreme pressure pulse.

Higher octane ratings have a higher threshold for detonation and preignition.
2001MineralGreyGt likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old April 8th, 2016, 09:53 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans02GT View Post
different octane rated fuels don't burn at significantly different rates on that basis alone.

octane ratings are a comparison to allow you to determine the resistance to detonation.

too much heat and pressure will cause a fuel to ignite without a spark. This murders engines, as it creates an extreme pressure pulse.

and what is the threshold? Heat? so they burn at higher temperatures. Which is what I said no?

I dont mean that when they burn they produce more heat, I mean that they start burning at higher temperatures.

2000 Mustang GT vert - Gone
2002 Mustang GT coupe - Sold on 12/20/17
2007 BMW 335i
1994 BMW 328i - Foxbody 5.0 Swap
post #11 of 16 Old April 8th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Still slow.

Meth will help you out huge dude. I would highly recommend it. It will make your 91 be comparable to running similar to if you were to use a higher octane.
post #12 of 16 Old April 8th, 2016, 05:33 PM
a.k.a. Racecougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans02GT View Post
Quote:

Correct. Also you want to reduce ignition advance to prevent detonation, not increase it.
maxgst likes this.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars

2004 Ford Mustang GT-The Driver-BBK CAI, PP TB & Inlet, Steeda UD's, SLP LM1, & 3.73's.
1990 Mercury Cougar XR7-The Meth Addict-5.0L DOHC Stroker w/2.1L KB SC.
1995 Ford F150-Mud Toy-5.0L, 4x4, 33's, & Warn 8274 Winch
post #13 of 16 Old April 8th, 2016, 08:07 PM
MM Fanatic

not 91, but on 92 I run 11 psi and am at 446rwhp and on stock long block

KB'd 446rwhp/451rwtq, Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZDpQ0EEm1M
Tuned by Joe at http://www.tricktuners.com

Last edited by limited; April 9th, 2016 at 12:01 AM.
post #14 of 16 Old April 8th, 2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Regular

nvm saw your sig. Thanks for the input!
post #15 of 16 Old April 8th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Eaton Powered

I make 416whp with a junky hEaton blower tuned on 93 octane and 10lbs of boost. If I can do that, i'd say your dreams are possible lol

2002 Mustang GT .... Tork Tech M112 w/ 3.1 pulley .... 416hp/427tq
post #16 of 16 Old April 9th, 2016, 01:53 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001MineralGreyGt View Post

I run a 9 psi pulley, gained 1 psi with the cai and another with the blower cams
2001MineralGreyGt likes this.

KB'd 446rwhp/451rwtq, Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZDpQ0EEm1M
Tuned by Joe at http://www.tricktuners.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page