Trans Rebuild and Replace (Bonus OT Pics) - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 03FR500

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old May 23rd, 2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Trans Rebuild and Replace (Bonus OT Pics)

Guys,

About two weeks after my last open track day in April, 4th gear began to grind when I down shifted from 5th to 4th. Then it started to grind shifting from 3rd to 4th also, then acting like it was in neutral when in 4th or popping out of gear. Sound like synchros? Guesses welcome.

I plan to replace my trans with another, then rebuild mine, upgrade it just a little, then put it back in and sale the donor. I just want to replace all the synchros, bearings, bronze shift fork pads. I've never rebuilt one but I'm trying to research it before.

Is there anything else I should look at doing at the same time?

macuser27 likes this.

2003 GT
The Whole Maximum Motorsports Catalog | Cobra Brakes F&R | Brake ducts F&R | Much More | Built for Road Course
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 23rd, 2016, 08:27 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Are you sure you want to attempt this when you couldn't replace the clutch yourself?

2002 Sonic Blue GT - Full bolt ons - Sold

DD: 2005 Ford F250 Powerstroke. Leveled, 35x12.50's. 4 inch exhaust, EGR delete, S&B intake, ZF-6 swapped, Southbend clutch.

Toy: '06 CBR1000rr - Hauls the mail.

1987 5.0 5 speed TTOP.
post #3 of 13 Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast

Assuming you have a 3650, your bearings are most likely fine.i would look more into putting my billet Shift forks in it and brnze pads. It sounds like you have a bent fork already to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old May 24th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Still slow.

I've rebuilt a t45 once. Next time I need a transmission built I'll leave it to a pro though.
post #5 of 13 Old May 24th, 2016, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason4.6GT View Post
Are you sure you want to attempt this when you couldn't replace the clutch yourself?
The only reason I couldn't replace the clutch is because the trans was seized to the block. Working from my back on jack stands I couldn't get enough room for a large enough pry bar to get enough leverage to break it loose. I had a professional mechanic friend come over to my house and try to get it out and he couldn't either. The transmission had literally never been removed since the car was built in 2003.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottledgt View Post
Assuming you have a 3650, your bearings are most likely fine.i would look more into putting my billet Shift forks in it and brnze pads. It sounds like you have a bent fork already to me.
I figured if I was going to take it apart it would be common practice to replace the bearings. I didn't think about the shift forks. I don't grad race or shift hard often in my opinion so I didn't think about those being bent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 GT View Post
I've rebuilt a t45 once. Next time I need a transmission built I'll leave it to a pro though.
What part of it made you never want to do it again?

2003 GT
The Whole Maximum Motorsports Catalog | Cobra Brakes F&R | Brake ducts F&R | Much More | Built for Road Course
post #6 of 13 Old May 24th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Still slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03FR500 View Post
The only reason I couldn't replace the clutch is because the trans was seized to the block. Working from my back on jack stands I couldn't get enough room for a large enough pry bar to get enough leverage to break it loose. I had a professional mechanic friend come over to my house and try to get it out and he couldn't either. The transmission had literally never been removed since the car was built in 2003.

I figured if I was going to take it apart it would be common practice to replace the bearings. I didn't think about the shift forks. I don't grad race or shift hard often in my opinion so I didn't think about those being bent.

What part of it made you never want to do it again?
Tons of snap rings, you'll need modified gear pullers to remove parts of the gears and if you make one simple mistake the whole transmission has to be dropped and gone over again.

For what it costs I would gladly pay someone like Bottledgt (I know he sells forks and other parts, not sure if he rebuilds for customers) or Zak from the t45source or the tr3640source (Which I believe promotion just bought out)

That way you don't have to deal with any issues.
post #7 of 13 Old May 24th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Enthusiast

I do everything
post #8 of 13 Old May 24th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottledgt View Post
I do everything
Good for you man, that's the right attitude!!

I rebuilt my T45, it was absolutely the most frustrating thing I've ever done, but I got it done and it works great.
There's no way in hell I could have done it without help from Zak at the T45sourse, but he's not around anymore. I couldn't find his web site, looks like someone bought him out?

During the process of my rebuild, I asked him about a TR3650 rebuild kit, he said that the TR3650 was a lot easier to rebuild than the T45. He said that the bearings in a 3650 are not pressed in, so it'll be lot easier to take it apart.

Main thing to do is to keep everything in order it came out. Take a million pictures, don't take anything for granted as to how it goes back together, pay attention to ever little detail. This will make reassembly much easier.
Sorry, but I can't be any help in the rebuild itself, but if you feel you're up to it, than do it.

Here's a pic of how I kept things in order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04657.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	185057  
post #9 of 13 Old May 24th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Guys,

About two weeks after my last open track day in April, 4th gear began to grind when I down shifted from 5th to 4th. Then it started to grind shifting from 3rd to 4th also, then acting like it was in neutral when in 4th or popping out of gear. Sound like synchros? Guesses welcome.
Did you check the shifter or lower shift boot?

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
post #10 of 13 Old May 24th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Monkeys View Post
Good for you man, that's the right attitude!!

I rebuilt my T45, it was absolutely the most frustrating thing I've ever done, but I got it done and it works great.
There's no way in hell I could have done it without help from Zak at the T45sourse, but he's not around anymore. I couldn't find his web site, looks like someone bought him out?

During the process of my rebuild, I asked him about a TR3650 rebuild kit, he said that the TR3650 was a lot easier to rebuild than the T45. He said that the bearings in a 3650 are not pressed in, so it'll be lot easier to take it apart.

Main thing to do is to keep everything in order it came out. Take a million pictures, don't take anything for granted as to how it goes back together, pay attention to ever little detail. This will make reassembly much easier.
Sorry, but I can't be any help in the rebuild itself, but if you feel you're up to it, than do it.

Here's a pic of how I kept things in order.
Ive done all of em,and bearing setup is virtually identical
post #11 of 13 Old May 24th, 2016, 07:36 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser27 View Post
X 2, I don't think everything inside the trany would have fell apart back to back and caused the problems you describe. It's most likely something else. Shifter is the best place to start.

Also, with the shifter removed is a great time to do a fluid change. Easy to put fluid in from the top.

Last edited by Infinite Monkeys; May 25th, 2016 at 08:46 AM.
post #12 of 13 Old May 25th, 2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Monkeys View Post
X 2, I don't think everything inside the trany would have fell apart back to back and caused the problems you describe. It's most likely something else. Shifter is the best place to start.

Also, with the shifter removed is a great time to do a fluid change. Easy to put fluid in from the top.
I haven't checked anything yet. It's an MGW shifter. Any ideas of what I would specifically check beside obvious fit and function? When I was dealing with changing my clutch last winter I did take the whole damn thing apart and mess with the shift stop screws. I am under the impression the the TR3650 has internal shift stops so I adjusted them so that they would not contact the shift lever unless I really pulled on it. Perhaps something has come undone.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably not get around to taking anything apart until next week.

2003 GT
post #13 of 13 Old May 25th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Regular

Garage
Quote:
I haven't checked anything yet. It's an MGW shifter. Any ideas of what I would specifically check beside obvious fit and function? When I was dealing with changing my clutch last winter I did take the whole damn thing apart and mess with the shift stop screws. I am under the impression the the TR3650 has internal shift stops so I adjusted them so that they would not contact the shift lever unless I really pulled on it. Perhaps something has come undone.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably not get around to taking anything apart until next week.
I believe MGW recommends not using the shift stops with a TR3650, but I know some Mustang owners don't trust the internal stops and will still use them. I would go with what MGW recommends with their product. If you decide to leave them in, just check that they are properly adjusted.

Also, the lower shift boot may have a tear in it that might contribute to the shifts not properly engaging and causing it to pop out of gear. I had an issue with mine where I installed a brand new lower shift boot but forgot to enlarge the hole in the middle to fit over the MGW dust boot. I didn't have a problem during regular driving until I was doing a track day coincidentally. It would pop out of 4th gear on the 3-4 shift at a higher revs because the boot was pulling on the shifter back towards neutral (if that makes sense).

Anyway, it's worth checking before pulling the trans completely. FWIW, I have a T45 with the older MGW shifter design.

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page