Head Gasket help - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 131 Old June 15th, 2016, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
1C2
Regular

I ended up just buying the tool, and its to small. But I just moved the fuel rails off to the side and I still have plenty of room to work. So my next question is how hard is it to get the egr valve off or out of the way. Im about to remove the intake manifold and its in the way.

91 GMC Syclone
95 Taurus SHO mtx
99 Mustang GT-Sold
94 Probe GT
03 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 131 Old June 15th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast

Depends on rust

Pm me for billet T45/3650/T56 forks. Usually in stock.
post #23 of 131 Old June 15th, 2016, 10:47 PM
Still slow.

I was always able to get my intake off without removing the egr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 131 Old June 15th, 2016, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
1C2
Regular

I got it off without removing it. Next up is exhaust manifolds!

91 GMC Syclone
95 Taurus SHO mtx
99 Mustang GT-Sold
94 Probe GT
03 Mustang GT
post #25 of 131 Old June 15th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Didn't read the whole post but if your removing the engine leave the manifolds on
post #26 of 131 Old June 16th, 2016, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
1C2
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootang View Post
Didn't read the whole post but if your removing the engine leave the manifolds on
Haha im changing the head gaskets. Engine is staying in.

91 GMC Syclone
95 Taurus SHO mtx
99 Mustang GT-Sold
94 Probe GT
03 Mustang GT
post #27 of 131 Old June 16th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Ah gotcha lol. I knew you were doing head gaskets but I thought you were pulling the engine to do them
post #28 of 131 Old June 16th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
You don't have to remove the exhaust manifolds to remove the heads. That's the way I did it and it was pretty easy as long as you have another set of hands to help with the extra weight.

1999 Mustang GT 5 Speed Vert
Procharger P1SC @ 9 psi
382/382 STD
Tuned by Chicken Hawk Motorsports

Supercharger Build Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ld-thread.html
post #29 of 131 Old June 16th, 2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
1C2
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46L281GT View Post
You don't have to remove the exhaust manifolds to remove the heads. That's the way I did it and it was pretty easy as long as you have another set of hands to help with the extra weight.
Im just unbolting them from the head. I have new gaskets so I might as well replace them.
post #30 of 131 Old June 27th, 2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
1C2
Regular

Sorry for the lack of updates I haven't been able to find the time to work on it but I think I can finally start working on it again. Anyways, today I noticed that the part of the heads that connects to the intake manifold and goes down to the valves is lumpy. Its hard to describe but it looks wrinkly. It gets a little lumpy around the same area on each tube. If I were to say, get a dremel and grind it flat and smooth would I gain any power or would I just damage it? Seems easy enough to do if it will work. If you don't know what I mean I think I can post pics.

91 GMC Syclone
95 Taurus SHO mtx
99 Mustang GT-Sold
94 Probe GT
03 Mustang GT
post #31 of 131 Old June 28th, 2016, 06:42 AM

Take a picture and post it up also don't start grinding on anything yet or you might end up wrecking your head.

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #32 of 131 Old June 28th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Hans Sprungfeld

Are you talking about the intake runners in the cylinder head? They're wrinkly both as part of the casting process as well as partially helping promote turbulence and fuel atomization.

There's definitely benefits to porting a cylinder head. However based on your description here, I'm going to guess porting is probably a little over your head, no offense.
post #33 of 131 Old June 28th, 2016, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
1C2
Regular

Here's a pic:

If you look in the intake runner, you can see the lumps. Think if were to grind them down it would do any good? It seems that this head has it worse than the other one. A few on the other side don't have any at all.

91 GMC Syclone
95 Taurus SHO mtx
99 Mustang GT-Sold
94 Probe GT
03 Mustang GT
post #34 of 131 Old June 29th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Hans Sprungfeld

Hard to tell with that small picture and lighting, but can you clean those away or scrape them? I'm wondering if those are some sort of deposit since they don't look like typical casting surface.

Note: Obviously don't scrape them with the heads on the engine or with the intake valve open.
post #35 of 131 Old June 29th, 2016, 08:21 AM

You've got some pretty serious oil/carbon deposits going on there in your intake. Look at how black it is. Those are not supposed to be there what wicked was referring to was the dimpling in the metal not protruding oil aliens hanging out catching some wind.

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #36 of 131 Old June 29th, 2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
1C2
Regular

Yea I know.. The 2 you see are the worse, others aren't as bad for some reason. Is that all from the EGR valve? Also it's not carbon build up, its metal, can't scrape them off. But do you think I should grind them down?

91 GMC Syclone
95 Taurus SHO mtx
99 Mustang GT-Sold
94 Probe GT
03 Mustang GT
post #37 of 131 Old June 30th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Still slow.

My heads had that when I bought them, not as much as yours, but a little. I left it, I'm sure you can shave it but I dont think you'll notice any gain, and I just didnt want to risk having metal shavings stuck near the valves.
post #38 of 131 Old August 30th, 2016, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
1C2
Regular

So I head to stop working on the head gaskets for quite awhile due to me moving. I've finally got all my stuff in one place and got my mustang moved over. So over the weekend I was able to start working on it again. I've managed to get one of the heads completely off, and the other one is completely un-bolted except a few things mounted to it that need to be removed before I can take it all the way off. Now for the big issue. Rust. It is obvious that there was puddles of coolant in 2 of the cylinders, and the other 2 have a little bit of rust. I managed to get most of it off using the rough side of a sponge and brake cleaner, but there is still some being stubborn and not wanting to come off. Obviously the best thing to do would be to pull the engine, hone the cylinders and get some rings, but I don't have the time or resources to do that, so I have to work with what I've got. Now I was able to pull the other cylinder head up far enough to get a peek on how its cylinders are, and I can already see that they are going to be no better than the other side. I can see that its wet and rusty on the small bits of the cylinders i can see.
I can't imagine that this is simply my head gaskets anymore. Some how both head gasket blew and allowed water to get into ALL my cylinders? I have no idea what it could be. Something broke that allowed a ton of water to get into all of my cylinders. I figured the problem was my head gaskets because it had been overheated due to my absolutely beyond trash original water pump that was rotting away, badly corroded, and started to leak. Water began getting into the oil, and I sea foamed my mustang and was able to see exhaust flowing out of my coolant reservoir with the cap off. Also A little bit of coolant was getting on the exhaust manifold on one side. And it began to ping really, really badly.
Another thing that I thought pointed to head gasket was the fact that after I found my water pump was leaking, I filled it back up with water when I got home, and when I filled it it began to misfire! I figured it was due to water getting into one of the cylinders, and after that I stopped driving it and began to work on it. All of these things I can see being caused by the head gasket, but now i'm not sure.
Sorry about the disorganization, should've gathered my thoughts before starting this haha..

If all else fails, I have a freshly rebuilt 460 big block that will go into it. But I'd rather not get 9 miles to the gallon. And it's stock so not a ton of hp. Lots of potential though.

Anyways, help ;n;

91 GMC Syclone
95 Taurus SHO mtx
99 Mustang GT-Sold
94 Probe GT
03 Mustang GT
post #39 of 131 Old August 30th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Hans Sprungfeld

When you unbolt the head and lift it, it's pretty common for a bunch of the coolant that was in the head to end up in the cylinders. That could very well be your issue.

You mention overheating in the past. That could easily cause some cylinder head warping or even cracks, which could in turn cause a blown head gasket and/or the symptoms you're describing.

Honestly if you're that worried about it, it may be cheaper in the long run to get a junkyard motor. When all is said and done, it might be the same price for one as having to get your heads milled/magnaglowed, plus new head bolts and gaskets. Plus then you don't have to worry about rust in the bore or any other lingering problems in your current motor.
post #40 of 131 Old August 30th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
When you unbolt the head and lift it, it's pretty common for a bunch of the coolant that was in the head to end up in the cylinders. That could very well be your issue.
+1 My cylinders and walls looked like that after a couple of days with the head removed and I even covered them best i could.

OP, take pics of the rust you're talking about.

1999 Mustang GT 5 Speed Vert
Procharger P1SC @ 9 psi
382/382 STD
Tuned by Chicken Hawk Motorsports

Supercharger Build Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ld-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page