Paint Scheme Opinions and Question - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old June 26th, 2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Paint Scheme Opinions and Question

Hello all! I'm new here to the forums. I guess I'll introduce myself a bit. I've owned my 1999 Mustang GT convertible for about 10 months now. Its my first car I have purchased on my own and I am loving it!

It came with a few mods including: Lowered springs, chassis brace, upgraded coils and plugs, magnaflow x pipe exhaust, and also a cold air intake. It currently has 109k on the odometer

Since then I have completely stripped the interior and layed down sound deader. While I was at it I cleaned the carpet and all interior pieces before reassembling. It's looking pretty sharp now.

Now onto my question:
When I first got the car there were a few small bubbles in the paint on the hood. They have been increasing quite a bit now and I probably have about 50 to 75 of them! I decided I'll take it to the body shop and have it professionally repainted. Until then I have been trying a few color schemes with spray paint, and want some opinions.
Do you guys like the way the hood looks now and should I get it painted this way or back to stock? I really like it but I just want to see what other people think. Let me know and thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old June 26th, 2016, 02:17 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

No pictures?

"Happiness is being blown and stroked at the same time"
V6 => Teksid 302 stroker
Caitlyn Jenner swapped
My Build Thread click link
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html
post #3 of 16 Old June 26th, 2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froush View Post
No pictures?

Haha sorry! It said I had to have at least 1 post before I could use pictures. They should be up now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old June 26th, 2016, 09:11 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
Those look more like bubbles in a decal than paint. Is your hood plastic wrapped?
such as this:https://www.signs.com/vehicle-decals/
or this: Don't paint your car: Wrap it | jacksonville.com
or this: http://dreamstreetgraphics.com/cars/

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #5 of 16 Old June 26th, 2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
Those look more like bubbles in a decal than paint. Is your hood plastic wrapped?
such as this:https://www.signs.com/vehicle-decals/
or this: Don't paint your car: Wrap it | jacksonville.com
or this: http://dreamstreetgraphics.com/cars/

That was actually something I haven't thought about. Looking at it closely and reading about car wraps I'm sure it's paint and not wrap.

What's anyone thought on the color combo?
post #6 of 16 Old June 26th, 2016, 10:08 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

I like it but honestly if it had black wheels i think it would look better. The wheels and the scheme dont jive IMO.

Procharged 2000 5 Speed BAB GT, built motor, blower cams, 10 lbs, lee blankenship tune 430/405

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
post #7 of 16 Old June 26th, 2016, 10:59 PM
Enthusiast

Heres my thoughts. I would get it painted entirely the stock color. And then use vinyl to create that hood stripe. That way, if you get tired of it, you can remove. If it's painted you are stuck with it forever.
And yes I agree those bubbles look like air bubbles under vinyl. I've never seen that happen to paint. If you're taking it to get painted anyway, try scratching at one of those bubbles. See if it flakes off like paint, or peels off like wrap.

Also
Imo upcoming mods should be black wheels, a grille delete, and fog lights. It'll look like a whole new car.

FrankenStang
| 2001 GT Automatic | Kenne Bell 2.1L Intercooled | Bullitt Brakes | Magnaflows & O/R H | Mach 1 Hood | Cobra Bumper and IRS | 2010 Gt500 Wheels | Tuned by DGR Performance |
393 rwhp ~ 412 ft/lbs @9psi

post #8 of 16 Old June 27th, 2016, 01:01 AM
New time's coming soon!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric508 View Post
Heres my thoughts. I would get it painted entirely the stock color. And then use vinyl to create that hood stripe. That way, if you get tired of it, you can remove. If it's painted you are stuck with it forever.
And yes I agree those bubbles look like air bubbles under vinyl. I've never seen that happen to paint. If you're taking it to get painted anyway, try scratching at one of those bubbles. See if it flakes off like paint, or peels off like wrap.

Also
Imo upcoming mods should be black wheels, a grille delete, and fog lights. It'll look like a whole new car.
That what old paint looks like. It will Begin to bubble and the clear will start peeling. Although his looks like the BC is lifting. The clear is pretty dead on that car so a few months it'll all he blowing off.

My Build Thread : https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-gt-build.html

D1SC 12-13psi 391rwhp 411rwtq
post #9 of 16 Old June 27th, 2016, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys, yes I have confirmed its the paint and not a vinyl wrap. Scraping off the bubbles the paint just cracks and falls apart.
Going along with future mods, yes black wheels will definitely be a must! Also I like the idea of the grille delete and new, fog lights! Also I'd like to get some halo headlights and a smooth line cobra hard top

Anyone have any experience with the smooth line hard tops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 16 Old June 27th, 2016, 09:46 AM
King Trashmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradenwardle View Post
Anyone have any experience with the smooth line hard tops?

There was a user in the v6 section who had one. It looked amazing. He since moved on to a newer car and I don't think I've seen him post much lately.

I would also advise against the halo headlights. No Bueno. I replaced the ones that came with my car.
post #11 of 16 Old June 28th, 2016, 12:54 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
I would also advise against the halo headlights. No Bueno. I replaced the ones that came with my car.
This. Halo headlights just don't look right on this car. Stick with stockers, or clear corner stockers.

FrankenStang
| 2001 GT Automatic | Kenne Bell 2.1L Intercooled | Bullitt Brakes | Magnaflows & O/R H | Mach 1 Hood | Cobra Bumper and IRS | 2010 Gt500 Wheels | Tuned by DGR Performance |
393 rwhp ~ 412 ft/lbs @9psi

post #12 of 16 Old June 28th, 2016, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Okay! Thanks for the input! Glad to here other people's opinions!
What do you guys think about adding a hood scoop? Is it difficult? I've been looking around a bit and seem some aftermarket ones such as xenon

post #13 of 16 Old June 28th, 2016, 07:43 AM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

+1 on saying no to the halo headlights -wayyyy too ricey.

I'd also add that you should throw in a chin spoiler since it's dropped. Instead of a getting a full grill delete, I'm a fan of the Mach 1 Grille delete. See here: Mach 1 Mustang Grille Delete Kit - 2pc (99-04 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

As far as a hoodscoop goes, I'd only go OEM style or aftermarket hood entirely.

Mustang GT Style Hood Scoop - Unpainted (99-04 GT; 99-02 V6; 01 Bullitt) - Free Shipping

As for the paint scheme, I like cars that are all one color so I can't really comment on it. Good luck!!

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
post #14 of 16 Old June 28th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Regular

I would definitely throw on a OEM hood scoop. I did that to my first Mustang (V6) and it wasn't that difficult at all. The hardest part is just getting it lined up just right and getting over the fear of drilling into the hood lol

I second the mach 1 grill and OEM headlights.

But I am sure whatever you go with will look great! Good luck!
post #15 of 16 Old July 6th, 2016, 01:23 AM
Regular

+1 on no halos. I thought they looked cool at one point until I saw them in person. No bueno for sure.

As for the paint, I'd let the body shop know you sprayed it with spray paint before taking it in. They will want to sand it off completely. Also, if you're adding a hood scoop - install it before repainting. That way you're not drilling through fresh paint. I think that would be the best way to go about it.
post #16 of 16 Old July 7th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Regular

Remember that it's your car. Getting opinions is fine but do it the way u want. That's how u make it yours. No matter what you do to your car there will be some that like it and some that don't. If everyone liked the same thing then we would only need one kind of car in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page