PBR front brake calipers stuck bolt - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By WickedSnake00
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old March 3rd, 2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 561
   
iTrader: 0 reviews
PBR front brake calipers stuck bolt

I need to replace the pads, just took off the wheels and looks like I have a set of dual piston, PBR brakes. Car's a 2001 GT.
I'm trying to get the 2 bolts off to get to the pads, but the bolts just spin and are not coming loose. They are not spinning freely, It's like there's a nut on the other side, but there isn't.
There is no pin to remove, both clipers are installed with upper and lower bolts.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
Infinite Monkeys is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old March 3rd, 2017, 01:20 PM
King Trashmouth
 
WickedSnake00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Freakin' cornfields
Posts: 21,882
                     
iTrader: 1 reviews
There should be some very small flats on the pins on the other side of the caliper you can get a wrench or even vise grips on. Usually some sort of fast shock load will loosen them though, either with an impact or a really hard fast turn of the ratchet. Doing it slowly will just spin them.

And in the all else fails category, new pins and boots are cheap, you can destroy them, get the caliper off and have better access/grip to them with it off the bracket.
Infinite Monkeys likes this.
WickedSnake00 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old March 3rd, 2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 561
   
iTrader: 0 reviews
Don't see any flat spots. Just tried to remove a bolt by using an impact. The bolt now spins freely and still isn't coming out. I haven't tried the impact on other bolts yet. Only thing I can think of is the stock bolts were used when installing the dual piston calipers and this is not correct?

Next thought is what if I cut the bolts, so I can remove the caliper. I would have to remove the bracket also and replace just the bracket, probably on both sides. Is the bracket on the twin caliper piston the same as a stock GT? I'd hate to loose the upgraded brakes and have to go back to stock.

EDIT:

OHHH, that flat spot!! Got it. Simple once you see it. Feel kind'a dumb right now.

Last edited by Infinite Monkeys; March 3rd, 2017 at 07:06 PM.
Infinite Monkeys is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old March 3rd, 2017, 11:02 PM
Enthusiast
 
Eric508's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 608
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Monkeys View Post
Don't see any flat spots. Just tried to remove a bolt by using an impact. The bolt now spins freely and still isn't coming out. I haven't tried the impact on other bolts yet. Only thing I can think of is the stock bolts were used when installing the dual piston calipers and this is not correct?

Next thought is what if I cut the bolts, so I can remove the caliper. I would have to remove the bracket also and replace just the bracket, probably on both sides. Is the bracket on the twin caliper piston the same as a stock GT? I'd hate to loose the upgraded brakes and have to go back to stock.

EDIT:

OHHH, that flat spot!! Got it. Simple once you see it. Feel kind'a dumb right now.

Just so you know, from what you described those are the stock Calipers on the GT.
PBR dual pistons are what came on both my 01 & 02 from the factory.

FrankenStang
| 2001 GT Automatic | Kenne Bell 2.1L Intercooled | Bullitt Brakes | Magnaflows & O/R H | Mach 1 Hood | Cobra Bumper and IRS | 2010 Gt500 Wheels | Tuned by DGR Performance |
393 rwhp ~ 412 ft/lbs @9psi

Eric508 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old March 3rd, 2017, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 561
   
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric508 View Post
Just so you know, from what you described those are the stock Calipers on the GT.
PBR dual pistons are what came on both my 01 & 02 from the factory.
Just did some quick checking. I see what you mean. So then what's all the talk about dual caliper pistons "upgrades"?
Just curious.
Thanks for the info.
Infinite Monkeys is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old March 4th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Canon Gang
 
Swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dicks!
Posts: 8,240
                     
Garage
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Monkeys View Post
Just did some quick checking. I see what you mean. So then what's all the talk about dual caliper pistons "upgrades"?
Just curious.
Thanks for the info.
Pre-99 cars were single piston. (excluding cobras)


Maximum Motorsports - Bilstein - Hypercoils - Aerocatch - UPR - Steeda - Hawk - Jegs - Eibach - SR Performance - Mishimoto - DDM - Bassani

Swift is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old March 4th, 2017, 10:33 PM
Enthusiast
 
Eric508's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 608
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Monkeys View Post
Just did some quick checking. I see what you mean. So then what's all the talk about dual caliper pistons "upgrades"?
Just curious.
Thanks for the info.

Like Swift said, pre 99 were single piston. Also, many people upgrade GT brakes to the cobra/mach 1/bullitt calipers. That's what I did. Thry are still dual piston, but require a larger rotor which results in more stopping force. They are far from the best brakes available, but they are a significant difference over the stockers.

FrankenStang
| 2001 GT Automatic | Kenne Bell 2.1L Intercooled | Bullitt Brakes | Magnaflows & O/R H | Mach 1 Hood | Cobra Bumper and IRS | 2010 Gt500 Wheels | Tuned by DGR Performance |
393 rwhp ~ 412 ft/lbs @9psi

Eric508 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome