Alternative big brake kits? - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old March 9th, 2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Alternative big brake kits?

I'm curious if big brake from other cars fit on our cars. The common upgrade is the Cobra and GT500 calipers, but Ford really only offered Brembo upgrades as options so they are more difficult to find and more expensive, where Chevy, Lexus, Cadillac, etc pretty much made them standard so big calipers are easier to find and cheaper. Cobra calipers are like $300 and they are basically GT brakes but with larger rotors. Camaro SS calipers are bigger and more powerful but similarly priced.

I know with fabrication you could get any caliper to fit pretty much any car but I am wondering if there are other big calipers that fit ours with minimal modification or even if there are kits available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old March 9th, 2017, 10:20 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Take a look at this

Wilwood Street Performance Superlite 6-piston kit, 1994-04 Mustang, 13", Black, Front

Unless you are running road courses, the stock GT brakes are probably enough for anything you're going to do.

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
post #3 of 30 Old March 9th, 2017, 10:41 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
This kit is a whole lot less expensive than $1500. It's basically the old Cobra kit that Ford discontinued.
https://lmr.com/item/SVE-2300K-S/199...ront-Brake-Kit

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old March 10th, 2017, 02:35 AM
Cletus Emmett Wheelwelker

Garage
I recall someone attempting to mount 6-piston CTS-V calipers on their cobra. That was a couple years ago, though, so I have no idea if they succeeded. The swap required custom mounting adapters.
post #5 of 30 Old March 10th, 2017, 07:59 AM
NVR Done

Garage
I did the Bear T4 kit from AM. It is almost $1500, but I will say HOLLY CRAP.... What a difference in braking power. Looking back, I am so glad I made the investment. Hey, why spend the money to go fast but not be able to stop worth a crap. Just my $0.02 It is a very good and complete kite. Easy to install although I do ALL my own work, minus the tune(for now) But yes a very expansive kit and well worth the investment. I got about 40,000 out of the front pads and rotors are still perfect.

96 Real-Roush/5.0 Stroker/Full build/D1-SC/Water,Meth/HD600/Splinned&locked
post #6 of 30 Old March 10th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Regular

If you have access to milling or CNC where you can make your own mounting brackets, then you can make a lot of different calipers work. Takes work though. One thing worth looking at is Fully Torqued Racing's S550 brake kit. You use a bracket that they make and you can put the big 4-piston brake calipers from the 2015+ mustang on an SN95. Those calipers are bigger than the GT500 calipers and are made by Brembo even though they don't have the powder coating that says so. Factory parts, so big supply too.

2003 GT
The Whole Maximum Motorsports Catalog | Cobra Brakes F&R | Brake ducts F&R | Much More | Built for Road Course
post #7 of 30 Old March 10th, 2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver GT View Post
Take a look at this

Wilwood Street Performance Superlite 6-piston kit, 1994-04 Mustang, 13", Black, Front

Unless you are running road courses, the stock GT brakes are probably enough for anything you're going to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ROUSH View Post
I did the Bear T4 kit from AM. It is almost $1500, but I will say HOLLY CRAP.... What a difference in braking power. Looking back, I am so glad I made the investment. Hey, why spend the money to go fast but not be able to stop worth a crap. Just my $0.02 It is a very good and complete kite. Easy to install although I do ALL my own work, minus the tune(for now) But yes a very expansive kit and well worth the investment. I got about 40,000 out of the front pads and rotors are still perfect.
I know there are these big brake kits and that they are amazingly good, but they are way over kill for my plans. I'm going for the ultimate daily car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG2V View Post
I recall someone attempting to mount 6-piston CTS-V calipers on their cobra. That was a couple years ago, though, so I have no idea if they succeeded. The swap required custom mounting adapters.
I have a friend that has a 99 Firebird and he is going to put those on his car. These calipers are everywhere and you can get a pair for like $600-700 and they are easily on par with the big brake kits from Bear and Wilwood, but half the price. That's more what I was aiming for in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
This kit is a whole lot less expensive than $1500. It's basically the old Cobra kit that Ford discontinued.
I have seen this kit but I would probably build my own Cobra brake kit if I was going this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03FR500 View Post
If you have access to milling or CNC where you can make your own mounting brackets, then you can make a lot of different calipers work. Takes work though. One thing worth looking at is Fully Torqued Racing's S550 brake kit. You use a bracket that they make and you can put the big 4-piston brake calipers from the 2015+ mustang on an SN95. Those calipers are bigger than the GT500 calipers and are made by Brembo even though they don't have the powder coating that says so. Factory parts, so big supply too.
I have seen there GT500 kit but I can't seem to find their S550 brake kit. Do you have a link?

Thanks for all your suggestions. I was hoping someone might know of a 4/6 piston caliper from another car that fits our cars that wasn't a $1500+ specific built kit from Wilwood/Baer/etc. Like, "these awesome big brakes from a Camaro SS fit our cars perfectly, and are only $300 a pair." Lol Long shot, but I thought I would ask.
post #8 of 30 Old March 10th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
I put together my cobra fronts for less than that.

steel lines: 140 (but for entire car)

Front calipers: 80 and they're powdercoated (for both, from powerstop)

13" slotted/drilled powerstop rotors: 136

Powerstop pads: 30

It could be done for even less with solid rotors. front only lines are 80 vs 140 for the whole kit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWR-S4766C
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWR-AR-8145XPR
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPH-950-61001
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWR-Z23-412

i'm still not sure if doing the rears are worth it or not.
post #9 of 30 Old March 10th, 2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Found it: S550 14? Brakes on SN95 2001 Mustang GT | Fully Torqued Racing Blog

It would be nice to find some clearance specs so I would know if my wheels can support these calipers.
post #10 of 30 Old March 10th, 2017, 04:01 PM
I like boobs!!!

When it comes to brakes I put absolutely ZERO brainpower into them. If I think I need to make a change with my braking, I call my brother. He's been working for Brembo as a design engineer/rep for probably around 15 years now and he knows more about brakes than I ever care to hear. I've had these conversations with him. He abruptly pulls pitch and goes way over my head way too fast. Invariably I'll end up getting a box in the mail with the parts I need to make it work.

A perfect example of this is my Model T. I tried to ask him for a little advice in regard to what brake setup I want to, or should go with, if I could use this caliper with this rotor even though they are from different vehicles, etc. To this day I'm still not sure if I got a "yes" or a "no". What I am sure of is that I'm just going to buy a complete kit from Speedway for hot rods.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there is a LOT more to effective braking than big calipers and rotors. You have to take into account the composition of the rotor, the pads, the caliper size and effectiveness of bleeding off heat, etc. You can over-caliper your system and end up in big trouble if you don't know what you're doing. My .02 is to stick with a kit that is designed to work in unison with all of its components. That way, if something does ever get screwed up and you break shit, you can turn around and point the finger at the company you brought it from and hopefully get your stuff replaced/fixed for no additional cost.
dexdiman likes this.

'00 V6 being gutted for real fun! Fixing where I went wrong with my last 2000
'04 V6 for my stepson
'27 Ford T Sedan, sold
'12 GT, Roush Exh, Steeda 101mm CAI, SCT Tune, MGW, 388 WHP 375 WTQ, Sold
'00 GT Vert, Built, Sold
post #11 of 30 Old March 10th, 2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickPohlAandP View Post
When it comes to brakes I put absolutely ZERO brainpower into them. If I think I need to make a change with my braking, I call my brother. He's been working for Brembo as a design engineer/rep for probably around 15 years now and he knows more about brakes than I ever care to hear. I've had these conversations with him. He abruptly pulls pitch and goes way over my head way too fast. Invariably I'll end up getting a box in the mail with the parts I need to make it work.

A perfect example of this is my Model T. I tried to ask him for a little advice in regard to what brake setup I want to, or should go with, if I could use this caliper with this rotor even though they are from different vehicles, etc. To this day I'm still not sure if I got a "yes" or a "no". What I am sure of is that I'm just going to buy a complete kit from Speedway for hot rods.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there is a LOT more to effective braking than big calipers and rotors. You have to take into account the composition of the rotor, the pads, the caliper size and effectiveness of bleeding off heat, etc. You can over-caliper your system and end up in big trouble if you don't know what you're doing. My .02 is to stick with a kit that is designed to work in unison with all of its components. That way, if something does ever get screwed up and you break shit, you can turn around and point the finger at the company you brought it from and hopefully get your stuff replaced/fixed for no additional cost.
I'm starting to look now because this summer I want to do the upgrade, but you are correct in going to big. That's why for me the big 6 pistol brakes from Baer and Wilwood are out, because they are just way overkill for my setup/plans. I'll end up settling on the Cobra or GT500 calipers, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something potentially better that wasn't that much more expensive or even cheaper. I am getting my car ready for a supercharger so I am working on making it handle, ride, and brake better first, and I'm sure the Cobra brakes are more than capable of handling that.
post #12 of 30 Old March 10th, 2017, 05:53 PM
I like boobs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexdiman View Post
I'm starting to look now because this summer I want to do the upgrade, but you are correct in going to big. That's why for me the big 6 pistol brakes from Baer and Wilwood are out, because they are just way overkill for my setup/plans. I'll end up settling on the Cobra or GT500 calipers, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something potentially better that wasn't that much more expensive or even cheaper. I am getting my car ready for a supercharger so I am working on making it handle, ride, and brake better first, and I'm sure the Cobra brakes are more than capable of handling that.
I would say that's a safe assumption to make. If the car (or at least some version of the car) came with the brakes, then they should be fine to run. I know when I got my '12 I got a box in the mail shortly after with rotors, lines, and calipers that looked just like the GT500 brakes. It all looked like Brembo stuff, but wherever it would've said Brembo had been ground off. Worked great either way.

'00 V6 being gutted for real fun! Fixing where I went wrong with my last 2000
'04 V6 for my stepson
'27 Ford T Sedan, sold
'12 GT, Roush Exh, Steeda 101mm CAI, SCT Tune, MGW, 388 WHP 375 WTQ, Sold
'00 GT Vert, Built, Sold
post #13 of 30 Old March 12th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I've locked up my front tires at 130mph with stock GT brakes and Wagner pads (I don't have ABS). I don't really see how more braking power would help me. I guess overheating would be my only concern.

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
post #14 of 30 Old March 12th, 2017, 12:48 PM

I think big brake kits are more for looks to be honest. The performance is there but big brakes just look more aggressive and fill out the wheel better. I think its a personal preference like everything else.
post #15 of 30 Old March 13th, 2017, 05:15 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexdiman View Post
Found it: S550 14? Brakes on SN95 2001 Mustang GT | Fully Torqued Racing Blog

It would be nice to find some clearance specs so I would know if my wheels can support these calipers.
The guys that run Fully Torqued Racing are active on SN95Forums. Not sure how hard they are to get a hold of but I know that they were working on test fitting some FR500 rims and such.

2003 GT
The Whole Maximum Motorsports Catalog | Cobra Brakes F&R | Brake ducts F&R | Much More | Built for Road Course
post #16 of 30 Old March 15th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Regular

https://www.steeda.com/baer-13-musta...2262011ds.html

That's interesting for the rear...
post #17 of 30 Old March 15th, 2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
I have heard of this kit before but never seen it. That is interesting. I wonder how difficult it would be to find replacement rotors for it.

Almost like this kit: Ford Performance Mustang Rear Caliper Bracket Kit with Rotors (Rear Pair) M-2300-M (94-04 GT, V6) - Free Shipping but the Baer kit seams way easier to install, and better performance - 13" rotor vs 11".

I have been considering this setup for the front - https://www.fullytorquedracing.com/m...brake-kit.html. Not that much more than the cobra kits but much better stopping power, and would be easier and cheaper to find replacement parts in the future.
post #18 of 30 Old March 15th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Regular

I personally would not waste my money on the Steeda 13" rear brake kit unless you want it for appearance. I have the 12" vented Cobra rear kit and it is way more than enough on the track. Since the Steeda kit is still a non-vented disk and uses the stock caliper, the only benefit you get is a slightly longer leverage arm (larger rotor). If you need more rear brake, get more aggressive pads. It's nearly impossible to overheat the rear brakes on our cars. I run Hawk HT10 pads in the front and my street HPS pads in the rear and they do fine with the 12" vented rotors. I do have cooling ducts in the rear though. I'll be running Hawk DTC-70 pads this season so I might need to upgrade my rear pads.

2003 GT
post #19 of 30 Old March 15th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Regular

Quote:
I personally would not waste my money on the Steeda 13" rear brake kit unless you want it for appearance. I have the 12" vented Cobra rear kit and it is way more than enough on the track. Since the Steeda kit is still a non-vented disk and uses the stock caliper, the only benefit you get is a slightly longer leverage arm (larger rotor). If you need more rear brake, get more aggressive pads. It's nearly impossible to overheat the rear brakes on our cars. I run Hawk HT10 pads in the front and my street HPS pads in the rear and they do fine with the 12" vented rotors. I do have cooling ducts in the rear though. I'll be running Hawk DTC-70 pads this season so I might need to upgrade my rear pads.
It's just very similar $ to the cobra/mach1 rear kit $ wise.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

There's actually a guy selling that rear brake kit for 175... i'm debating on it. has 4000 miles on it... i usually don't buy used brake stuff.
post #20 of 30 Old March 15th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
It's just very similar $ to the cobra/mach1 rear kit $ wise.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

There's actually a guy selling that rear brake kit for 175... i'm debating on it. has 4000 miles on it... i usually don't buy used brake stuff.
I buy used brake stuff, and track them too so I wouldn't sweat that part. Even if the rotors are hard to find or expensive, rear rotors last forever. I got some used Stoptech slotted rotors that I'm going to use this season for HPDE.

2003 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page