Long overdue, my build thread - Page 5 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 101 Old October 29th, 2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Any thoughts?

Mmr900 4.75 striker. Stock heads, CMS stage 2 turbo cams, on3 67mm ball bwaring billet wheel turbo kit @12.7 psi
539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 101 Old October 29th, 2018, 06:34 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I have a 12 an drain on my turbo ran into simular problems. I found it easier to mount the turbo and work from the turbo to the drain on oil pan. If you can clock the center section of
your turbo you may find some better angles. If you have to use 90 degrees elbows make sure they are full flow. I would only use full flow fittings on the drain

02 roush turbo forged and built
mhs stage 3 heads cms 2.5 turbo cams
CG T6 hot side billet BW S478 with race cover
Dyno numbers coming
post #83 of 101 Old November 7th, 2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 02 View Post
I have a 12 an drain on my turbo ran into simular problems. I found it easier to mount the turbo and work from the turbo to the drain on oil pan. If you can clock the center section of
your turbo you may find some better angles. If you have to use 90 degrees elbows make sure they are full flow. I would only use full flow fittings on the drain
Thank you for the input Sonic, this drain line is gicing me a headache, i only get an 2-3 hrs a week to look at it at times.

Mmr900 4.75 striker. Stock heads, CMS stage 2 turbo cams, on3 67mm ball bwaring billet wheel turbo kit @12.7 psi
539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 101 Old November 7th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Hans Sprungfeld

Yeah I've got to agree on the fittings. In flow sensitive applications (like this), the automotive world recommends the use of the tube type elbow versus the machined type. The type you have looks to be machined where they drill one end, then the other, and the drillings meet. It can make a huge difference in restriction. The better kind would be where it's more of a tube with flanges/nuts on each end.

...or if you're in a real bind, pipe fittings. Yes it's ugly as sin, but may offer more flexibility than traditional fittings. The only thing you have to watch out for is they can be fairly heavy, so be careful in where you use them and what they're attached to.

That said it looks like you might be able to get away with just a tubular 45 deg fitting and run the hose right to the turbo. -12 of course.

When clocking the center bearing housing, most suppliers say not to exceed 15 deg from horizontal, so that's a fairly narrow limit.
post #85 of 101 Old November 8th, 2018, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Got my turbo back from the coater, the CHRA had too much oil pouring out to have it coated. At least the turbine housing turned out well.

539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

post #86 of 101 Old March 10th, 2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Update time. So that massive on3 turbo had some defects that i didnt like. So i went into a 2 month credit card dispute with them and finally got my money back, i swallowed the cost for the ceramic coating. So anyway.. we move on. Looking at vsracing turbos and bullseye. Currently working out a deal on a 66/73 bullseye street billet turbo. Ironically vsracing also suggested the same size turbo for me. These are the only 2 manufacturers who went down into the science a out why they picked the smaller compressor with the larger turbine. All of the other companies just recommended the opposite large compressor witb a smaller turbine. Which will choke out up top. So we will see what this bullseye turbo will do when i get to it.

I am also having my first child in 4-6 weeks. So i am working my hardest to grt this project finished real fast, and also to repaint the bumper and grill on my daily. Blehhh.

So here i am. I gave up trying to run the -10an line where the port was on my oil pan. So i bought a new oil pan and welded a -10 an bung to a better spot. Now i should be able to run the line and clear the on3 hot side turbo pipes.

The center bung pan will be laying around. It would be great for someone who wants to run a proper drain on a supercharged car.

Last sunday i cleaned the garage up a bit, got my cherry picker back from a friend, cleaned it. And prepped the motor for the cherry picker, off with the alternator, passenger half of the hot side piping disconnected lines and electrical connectors. Oil filter relocation clutch cable. Etc.

Staged the lift. And went to minneapolis for the week to reassemble and indicate
A CNC wheel dresser and linear incremental encoders, wiring and interpolator boxes. This machine makes guide wires for angioplasties. Then i went to a second customer to install another machine and teach them how to make deep brain stimulation leads. What a week.got home 1 a.m. sat. Morning.

So now im here suday afternoon swapping pans. The old one is out and draining. The new one is looking pretty while i go clean the block and old gasket up.

539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

Last edited by Snorky; March 10th, 2019 at 05:09 PM.
post #87 of 101 Old March 10th, 2019, 05:23 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I almost went with bullseye. Bill really took the time going over specs with me. What AR did they spec for you on the turbo. Your experience like yours is why I ditched my on3 kit.

Dyno numbers coming
post #88 of 101 Old March 10th, 2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic 02 View Post
I almost went with bullseye. Bill really took the time going over specs with me. What AR did they spec for you on the turbo. Your experience like yours is why I ditched my on3 kit.
I believe it was a 1.0 AR. My brains got oil pan on my mind. Just got it permatexed and hanging there finger tight, TQ wrench dialed to 15#ft, then the 60 extra after that. Going to use this opportunity to get to the drivers side header nuts to double check the tension in the 2 semi impossible ones to get to.

I am going to use this opportunity in a positive light. I plan to call up on3, cchat with them, make peace and show them pictures of the oil pan so they can hopefully provide instructions to future customers. I will also communicate with them about the shitty flange warp from welding. See if they can fix these issues for future customers. Dont get me wrong. Its a crappy kit when ot comes down to it. But it has so much potential. Especially after seeing Pate experiencing that leaky CG fab header collector. That thing was pissing water out of it.

Hopefully on3 will take it seriously and make changes and or change the instructions to suggest checking for flatmess on the flanges, saying it may require a belt sander to fix irregularities and the proper position for a -10 drain om the pan.

539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

post #89 of 101 Old March 11th, 2019, 08:19 AM
Regular

Awesome build! Looks great!!!!
post #90 of 101 Old March 11th, 2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Oil pan is in, drain line looks like its in a good position from the bottom

Confirmed from the top!! 😄

Got the suspension, starter cables, brakes, 02 sensors all back together, engine squared up and torqued down. Alternator back in, belt on, coldside piping from intercooler to throttle body back on. When i was in there i was able to tighten up "next to impossible" header bolt another half turn. Drivers side bottom front..

Now i just need to wait for the turbo.

539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

post #91 of 101 Old March 12th, 2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Decided to start on the turbo drain line

Looks like this will be perfect.😁

While i was in there with the SS braided line, I decided to change my oil filter relocation lines from nylon braided to SS.

539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

post #92 of 101 Old March 13th, 2019, 03:26 PM

Garage
Very cool build, and nice write up! That p51 intake manifold and the hood are my favorite parts. Also I thought it was cool on the older pictures where you ran without wipers, it makes the car look MUCH cleaner somehow. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread...

Best of luck getting it running right, and congrats on the kid on the way!

@porterhousestk #piinkiesout
post #93 of 101 Old March 14th, 2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhousestk View Post
Very cool build, and nice write up! That p51 intake manifold and the hood are my favorite parts. Also I thought it was cool on the older pictures where you ran without wipers, it makes the car look MUCH cleaner somehow. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread...

Best of luck getting it running right, and congrats on the kid on the way!
I have a love hate relationship with both of those parts, the p-51 is difficult to run things behind, especially around the heater hose area. The hoof i adore, but the vents drop water right on the airfilter of my turbo setup, so i get creative with water shields.

Yeah, i actually had them off because when i had the motor out of the car i sprayed my engine bay and replaced the cowl. Only the clip holing the wiper mechanism to the motor popped off so i just took them off. Recently when i had my intake off to powdercoat i used the opportunity to remove the cowl again and fixed it.

Thanks a lot! Super excited to be a daddy! 😄

539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

post #94 of 101 Old April 5th, 2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Well after all of the advice and phone calls with turbo companies, i was down to either
vsr billet ball bearing 6766
vsr billet 6873 journal
Bullseye bmstreet billet 6873 journal
Tnetics 7568 journal
Tnetics billet 7575 ball bearing

Turns out i would have to change my entire exhaust setup down pipe back which has already been ceramic coated and had sockets and everything welded to fit right to run the bullseye turbos and the vsr 6873 due to them having a 4"downpipe flange. Facckk

The vsr 6766 reminded me of the on3 6765 ball bearing i had when i first builtthe car which was very aggressive on the street but choked out qhen running high rpm, ie racing. Would fall on its face. So it was down to the turbonetics options. Either another 7268, 7668 or the billet 7575 bb. Wife told me to get the good one, lol so.

Presenting turbonetics billet 7575 bal bearing. Hopefully it won't be a turd on the street. Looks gorgeous with the 6 by 6 split wheel

539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

post #95 of 101 Old April 5th, 2019, 12:25 PM
Regular

Garage
Great looking build, Looks like your getting close. Cant wait to see what type of numbers you put down.
post #96 of 101 Old April 5th, 2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Turbo in position

The drain line didnt turn out well withthe straight out of the turbo to the 45 in the pan, so i will change the straight to a 45 coming out of the turbo come tuesday. Primed the turbo and feed line. Started the car no down pipr, watched for oil to come out of the seals. The only thing to come out were tears from the gas raw emissions smell. Lol almost knocked me over. Turbo looks good.

https://youtu.be/JPmR3tWCB-I

So we installed the ceramic coated down pipe and 2 mid pipes/catbacks. Added the tial 44mm wastegate, i found oil in my intercooler so i cleaned out my pipes and stood my intercooler on its side for an hr. Was able to get just about all of the oil out of it.

Reattached the cold side and fired it up again. It is amaxing how cool the pipes are with a ceramic coating. I am very impressed with them.

https://youtu.be/KNMtDeoH6zk

539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

Last edited by Snorky; April 5th, 2019 at 07:12 PM.
post #97 of 101 Old April 5th, 2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
Turbo in position

The drain line didnt turn out well withthe straight out of the turbo to the 45 in the pan, so i will change the straight to a 45 coming out of the turbo come tuesday. Primed the turbo and feed line. Started the car no down pipr, watched for oil to come out of the seals. The only thing to come out were tears from the gas raw emissions smell. Lol almost knocked me over. Turbo looks good.

So we installed the ceramic coated down pipe and 2 mid pipes/catbacks. Added the tial 44mm wastegate, i found oil in my intercooler so i cleaned out my pipes and stood my intercooler on its side for an hr. Was able to get just about all of the oil out of it.

Reattached the cold side and fired it up again. It is amaxing how cool the pipes are with a ceramic coating. I am very impressed with them.

Did you put some MAF cleaner on your MAF and clean it off as well?

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #98 of 101 Old April 5th, 2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG Pate View Post
Quote:
Turbo in position

Did you put some MAF cleaner on your MAF and clean it off as well?
Not yet, i will be sure to do that on the morrow! Thank you for the reminder. I still have the car on stands. I will also give the intercooler another round of standing on end to see if anymore oil comes out of it. Had about a cup in there the first shot. Wiped the piping out thoroughly. Hopefully this will clear everything up.

539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

post #99 of 101 Old April 7th, 2019, 02:28 PM

So you already had issues with the turbonetics turbo as well?

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #100 of 101 Old April 7th, 2019, 03:30 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Well after all of the advice and phone calls with turbo companies, i was down to either
vsr billet ball bearing 6766
vsr billet 6873 journal
Bullseye bmstreet billet 6873 journal
Tnetics 7568 journal
Tnetics billet 7575 ball bearing

Turns out i would have to change my entire exhaust setup down pipe back which has already been ceramic coated and had sockets and everything welded to fit right to run the bullseye turbos and the vsr 6873 due to them having a 4"downpipe flange. Facckk

The vsr 6766 reminded me of the on3 6765 ball bearing i had when i first builtthe car which was very aggressive on the street but choked out qhen running high rpm, ie racing. Would fall on its face. So it was down to the turbonetics options. Either another 7268, 7668 or the billet 7575 bb. Wife told me to get the good one, lol so.

Presenting turbonetics billet 7575 bal bearing. Hopefully it won't be a turd on the street. Looks gorgeous with the 6 by 6 split wheel

All you have to do is weld in the the 4 inch to 3 inch v band reducing flange I think they are like 20 bucks . Mine goes from 5 inch out of turbo to a 4 inch down pipe. As Pate mentioned make sure to clean your MAF out good. I hadn't realized my old on3 turbo was pushing oil and it caused me a bunch of problems trying to dial in start up tune.

Dyno numbers coming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page