Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   96 - 04 (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/)
-   -   Mmr 4.75 (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/624386-mmr-4-75-a.html)

Lou94stang July 18th, 2017 07:34 PM

Mmr 4.75

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 4.75 with coyote crank. Where do I install the spacer ?

Between block and flexplate or between bolts and flexplate

y2k02 July 18th, 2017 08:12 PM

If you put it between the bolts and flexplate it would not be "spacing" anything.

Lou94stang July 18th, 2017 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2k02 (Post 11876242)
If you put it between the bolts and flexplate it would not be "spacing" anything.

Ya that's what I figured just making sure don't wanna have to pull it all out again... Thanx

y2k02 July 18th, 2017 08:27 PM

I know nothing about the 4.75 except I wouldnt run it.

Snorky July 18th, 2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2k02 (Post 11876266)

why's that?

SSG Pate July 18th, 2017 09:57 PM

You put it in between the flex plate and the crank... Ive had a 4.75 for about 5 years I think.

bodyshot July 24th, 2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2k02 (Post 11876266)

Honestly, hearing how many people are having issues with the thrust bearing I wouldn't want one either.

Apparently MMR used to have a contract with Manley to make 4.75 cranks and they never renewed the contract when Manley wanted more cash for the cranks so MMR started milling a piece to use the Coyote crank in the 4.6. This is a $250 crank they now sell for $600, there is a fix for the Coyote crank to work well but not many know it and its not cheap. I will most likely be waiting for the Coyote to come down in price and swap. It wont be much longer.

evil02gt July 24th, 2017 02:26 PM

I have. MMR 4.75 that's getting ready to go in my car. MMR did not assemble the engine. I was also Leary of the 4.75. I talked to several people who are actually running them without issue. It seems the big problem is that a lot of people install the thrust bearing wrong.

EDDIEDOVER April 8th, 2019 09:16 PM

I Know this is an old thread but just to add 2 cents worth dont assume the spacing is correct with the spacer as my installer did apparently when tightened torque converter up it pulled converter out of front pump just enough to destroy UCC converter and front pump

SSG Pate April 8th, 2019 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDDIEDOVER (Post 12037173)
I Know this is an old thread but just to add 2 cents worth dont assume the spacing is correct with the spacer as my installer did apparently when tightened torque converter up it pulled converter out of front pump just enough to destroy UCC converter and front pump

impossible even if the shim is left out it isn not enough to pull the converter out of the pump.. the only thing that cause cause that is not getting the converter fully engaged in the pump before pulling it back to the flexplate.

EDDIEDOVER April 9th, 2019 02:04 PM

think im gonna agree with y2k02 in future mines been pain in butt i did not and can not physically bolt it in but i did watch the converter slide in be turned slide in more couple times appeared to be as far back as could go once bolted up the mechanic was easily able to turn the converter so definitely no binding when bolts went in it pulled converter back out some didnt think much of it at time did not think was that critical but when transmission failed to shift and all electrical checked out was pulled had ground metal in converter and pump just a thought that maybe there is a lot closer tolerance than mmr suggest with this 4.75 kit . if i had know was coyote/boss 302 crank modified to fit in our blocks i would never have bought it for the minimal gain in cubes and power just hope others can learn from my misfortune .ive learned nothing is "impossible" when dealing with cars no disrespect meant to anyone