• 1 Post By Snorky
  • 1 Post By dexdiman
  • 1 Post By PULMEOVR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old November 8th, 2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Question Cobra Brakes Are Driving me Crazy

Hey guys,

I have the SVE 13Ē Cobra brakes installed on the front of my GT (https://lmr.com/item/SVE-2300K/1994-...tyle-Brake-Kit).

The pads rattle like crazy within the caliper. Iíve replaced the pad mounting hardware (C-clips), but the noise remains. Itís a common problem with these brakes, but most seem to rectify the issue with the mentioned C-clips. No luck in my case, however.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might go about fixing this? Perhaps itís the brake pads that are somewhat out of spec or something? I believe they are Stop Techs, but I could be wrong. They might even be generic pads .... whatever came with the above kit at the time, is what I am using.

The car is stored for winter right now, but Iím looking to tackle this problem in the spring. The noise drives me crazy and Iím prepared to fix this or suck it up and by new calipers (which also brings me to my next question).

Where can I find brake calipers for sale, that will fit these 13Ē rotors? Iíve heard Brembos are an option? Will these fit and if so, where can I buy just the calipers?

Thanks guys.

Matt

'02 GT

Black - 5 Speed

Accufab 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC catted Prochamber, Flowmaster 40 weld-ins, Magnaflow 3.5" tips, H&R SS springs, Steeda CC plates, Tokico Blues, '03 Cobra Brakes, MACH 1 grill delete, 18" staggered Saleens, SCT Tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old November 8th, 2017, 03:35 PM
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA

Garage
Have you contacted LMR about the issue? Their customer service/ tech support has been helpful to me in the past. You may just have a defective set or a problem that can be readily fixed.

Throw some pics up or video if the rattling is bad enough you can see it that way. Maybe we can help better if we see how you're putting the stuff together just in case it's installation error. It probably isn't, but hey, might as well look at everything before junking a few hundred bucks worth of brakes!
GBPackerFan likes this.

'01 GT Convertible
Maximum Motorsports TQA|PHB|FLSFC|LCA|Coilovers
D&D T56 Magnum; Cobra R Brakes; Sparco Seats
Tuned by Mustang Magic and so much other stuff

'16 Fiesta ST
Cobb FMIC, Turbo-back exhaust, RMM and Air Filter
Tuned by Stratified
post #3 of 16 Old November 8th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Regular

+1 on LMR's customer service. I have the Steeda X2 balljoints and one went bad after a few months. They refunded me for the whole purchase way outside of the return policy.

Pictures and/or a video would be really helpful. I am not 100% following were the issue is. When I installed mine everything was really tight. I had to use a rubber mallet to get the pin, that hold the caliper on, in place.

The ultimate daily driver project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old November 8th, 2017, 05:56 PM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

I wonder if LMR will take back a painted and rtved solid steering shaft I no longer need

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
post #5 of 16 Old November 8th, 2017, 06:05 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Call LMR...they will take care of you.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Cammed / Geared / 440wh 400wt

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
post #6 of 16 Old November 8th, 2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Thanks guys.

I've fired off an email to LMR - hopefully they can help me out.

I had these professionally installed, later looked at by several techs, and I've even installed aftermarket (Doorman) retaining clips myself. The pads (mostly on the driver's side) still make a clunking sound within the caliper, over every little bump in the road. The only time the brakes are quiet, is when I press on the brakes while driving over bumps. That quiets everything down 100%. So, I'm kind of led to believe that the pads are the issue. I've taken the pads out, and they appear to be installed correctly. Perhaps the pads are defective or something? They seem snug, and look good to me?

I could always order another set of pads and see if that helps, but I don't want to waste my money if somebody has a better idea.

I'd take a pic or video but my car is now in storage.

EDIT: I found a Youtube video of a guy with the same brakes, and the same problem/sound.

Also, the pin on the brake caliper is very tight on my passenger side (had to use a mallet to get it in, to attach the "e-clip"), but the driver's side I could push it in very easily. Perhaps the pin is defective or damaged??

'02 GT

Black - 5 Speed

Accufab 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC catted Prochamber, Flowmaster 40 weld-ins, Magnaflow 3.5" tips, H&R SS springs, Steeda CC plates, Tokico Blues, '03 Cobra Brakes, MACH 1 grill delete, 18" staggered Saleens, SCT Tuning
post #7 of 16 Old November 9th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Regular

That seems like a pad issue or at least where the pad and caliper bracket meet. I would go to Autozone and buy their cheapest pad. If everything is still loose then I would say the caliper bracket is defective. If the new pads snug everything up then the pads LMR gave you are bad. Then I would return the Autozone pads. You'll have a better understanding of the problem and it won't "cost" you anything, in the end.

post #8 of 16 Old November 9th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
before you do that, measure the retaining pins to check if they're the same diameter
dexdiman likes this.

Mmr900 4.75 striker. Stock heads, CMS stage 2 turbo cams, on3 67mm ball bwaring billet wheel turbo kit @12.7 psi
539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

post #9 of 16 Old November 9th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Regular

It's got to be either the springs on the one end of the pads or the retaining pin. The spring should face towards the bottom of the cradle that the caliper bracket creates. You should have to push down on the caliper in order for the retaining pin to slide in. It's really shouldn't slide in too easily. Sometimes when I clean everything good it slides in without much trouble but usually I have to slightly tap it in with the end of my pliers or something if I'm not pushing down on the caliper.

2003 GT
The Whole Maximum Motorsports Catalog | Cobra Brakes F&R | Brake ducts F&R | Much More | Built for Road Course
post #10 of 16 Old November 9th, 2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Here's what LMR had to say;

"First thing to check would be the pad retention springs that go into the holes on the caliper and the pistons. I've had a car with 13" Cobra style brakes before that had the weak springs that caused this slight rattle. You may also double check the caliper pin to make sure it does not have any wear spots causing slop as well."

It's too bad I didn't think to post this before I put the car away, but I'll take a look at this in the spring. I'll check the pins & pads. I see LMR told me where to find the springs, but what do they look like? I don't think I noticed any springs the last time I took out my pads, and inspected stuff.

'02 GT

Black - 5 Speed

post #11 of 16 Old November 9th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Regular

Garage
I had this annoying problem myself at one point. In my case, replacing the retaining clips, slide pins and c-clips did not resolve the issue. I had to replace the cheap (Raybestos??) pads with Hawk ones.

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
post #12 of 16 Old November 9th, 2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser27 View Post
I had this annoying problem myself at one point. In my case, replacing the retaining clips, slide pins and c-clips did not resolve the issue. I had to replace the cheap (Raybestos??) pads with Hawk ones.
I’m leaning towards the problem being the pin, or the cheap brake pads. Maybe I’ll just swap both.

Which Hawk pads did you go with?

'02 GT

Black - 5 Speed

post #13 of 16 Old November 11th, 2017, 02:32 AM
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULMEOVR View Post
Iím leaning towards the problem being the pin, or the cheap brake pads. Maybe Iíll just swap both.

HP plus. Not recommended for a daily. They squeal a lot.

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
post #14 of 16 Old November 11th, 2017, 03:22 AM
Regular

Word of advice OP, I am a die hard LMR customer but I will never purchase SVE products. They are not engineered to the same quality as a more reputable brand product. As other's have mentioned, LMR will take care of you as their reputation for assisting their customers is stellar.

2001 Mustang GT Conv. - JLT CAI - SLP LM1 Mufflers - Catted X-Pipe - 4.10's (Trac-Lock) - Steeda Underdrive Pulleys - BAMA 91 tune - Steeda Tri-Ax SS - Eibach Pro-Kit - Koni STRs - Saleen Rep Wheels - 265-35-18 F - 315-30-18 R
post #15 of 16 Old November 11th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULMEOVR View Post
Iím leaning towards the problem being the pin, or the cheap brake pads. Maybe Iíll just swap both.

I personally install the HPS pads and they are incredible. https://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Performa.../dp/B000COAZL8
macuser27 likes this.

post #16 of 16 Old January 31st, 2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Regular

For anyone searching this thread to fix this same issue;

The problem turned out to be the brake pads. Whatever pads the SVE kit shipped with at the time were not to spec. I installed a set of OEM Motorcraft ‘03 Cobra pads, and that fixed the noise almost completely. Every now and then I’ll hear a few small clanging noises, but I attribute that to poor build quality on these SVE calipers.

I hope this helps someone else, because this drove me crazy for years!
macuser27 likes this.

'02 GT

Black - 5 Speed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page