1Likes
  • 1 Post By marxummers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old November 16th, 2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
2003 Sonic Money Pit

Garage
Say bar end link torq specs

Hello all!
Need to know (more so verify) what the torque spec is for the end link nuts on a 94-04 GT. I have had some trouble finding consistent answers from the web and when asking other mustang friends. What I have found it they should be torqued to 14ftlbs (168inch lbs). Is this the correct spec? Lastly I was under the assumption that this should be done with the suspension unloaded (sitting on stands) but I have had people tell me that I should do the final torque with suspension loaded (had another say half loaded) and it just doesn't sound right to me. Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old November 16th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Another slow GT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundleojoy View Post
Hello all!
Need to know (more so verify) what the torque spec is for the end link nuts on a 94-04 GT. I have had some trouble finding consistent answers from the web and when asking other mustang friends. What I have found it they should be torqued to 14ftlbs (168inch lbs). Is this the correct spec? Lastly I was under the assumption that this should be done with the suspension unloaded (sitting on stands) but I have had people tell me that I should do the final torque with suspension loaded (had another say half loaded) and it just doesn't sound right to me. Any help would be appreciated!
14 ft-lb sounds familiar to me. It's been awhile since I did my front endlinks. When I did mine, I did not torque them to spec. Rather, I made them tight as I felt comfortable (I estimated 14 lbs of force with a 12 in socket wrench) and 20k+ miles later they're still there working.

To answer your question again, yes, 14 ft lbs seems to me to be the correct torque spec for the front swaybar endlinks.

Full Twisty's Build In Progress.

View my lack of mods here: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...=view&id=55228
post #3 of 12 Old November 16th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I way overtightened mine I used a freaking impact (on a low setting) and ran that thing up until it stopped....took like 3 seconds rather than sitting with a rachet...im too lazy.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Cammed / Geared / 440wh 400wt

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old November 16th, 2017, 12:12 PM
Regular

I've got the Ford Dealer service manual and the 14ft-lbs of torque as well as having the suspension unloaded is correct.

The ultimate daily driver project

post #5 of 12 Old November 16th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Another slow GT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPackerFan View Post
I way overtightened mine I used a freaking impact (on a low setting) and ran that thing up until it stopped....took like 3 seconds rather than sitting with a rachet...im too lazy.
The only argument I can see against this method is premature bushing damage. Overloading a bushing too much will cause it to deform and possibly split under high loading conditions.

View my lack of mods here: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...=view&id=55228
post #6 of 12 Old November 16th, 2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
2003 Sonic Money Pit

Garage
Thank you all! Dexdiman, do you have a link to the service manual?

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxummers View Post
The only argument I can see against this method is premature bushing damage. Overloading a bushing too much will cause it to deform and possibly split under high loading conditions.

This is the reason why this post exists because I had a failure on my suspension and feared it was from over torque the end links. I have a combo of MM and Eibach stuff and the MM sway bar bushing bracket sheered apart when it was struck by a piece of asphalt that got kicked up when I was driving to work. My fear was I had placed too much strain on the component leading to it just needing to be whacked really good to push it over the edge.
post #7 of 12 Old November 16th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Mine have been fine for 2+ years driving 80 miles a day for my commute in the rain, snow, salt, etc...I'm not going to lose sleep over it

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Cammed / Geared / 440wh 400wt

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
post #8 of 12 Old November 16th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Another slow GT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPackerFan View Post
Mine have been fine for 2+ years driving 80 miles a day for my commute in the rain, snow, salt, etc...I'm not going to lose sleep over it
Hey, I don't blame you! I wasn't too worried about torque spec either... typically I'm not, but I just got done swapping a new motor in the car because I blew a plug after... you guessed it, not torquing the plugs down properly.
GBPackerFan likes this.

post #9 of 12 Old November 16th, 2017, 04:30 PM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Torque wrenches are you friend!

I did mine at 14 ft lbs while in the air on stands. Swapped moogs in. No issues

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
post #10 of 12 Old November 17th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundleojoy View Post
Thank you all! Dexdiman, do you have a link to the service manual?
No, sorry I don't. It's a program I bought a few years ago when I got my car. I do know people have found a way to unlock it, so there are free downloads available now or you can pick them up on eBay for under $20.

The ultimate daily driver project

post #11 of 12 Old November 18th, 2017, 12:28 PM
Still slow.

Honestly I know I'll get some back lash for this. But it really doesnt matter. Once you see it start to compress its fine. I road course race mine, it gets the piss beaten out of it. As long as its not loose it will preform the same.
post #12 of 12 Old November 18th, 2017, 01:57 PM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 GT View Post
Honestly I know I'll get some back lash for this. But it really doesnt matter. Once you see it start to compress its fine. I road course race mine, it gets the piss beaten out of it. As long as its not loose it will preform the same.
I've done this in the past and while true, to gain the maximum amount of life from a bushing you want to follow tq specs so the bushing isn't overloaded. But to each their own. It's pretty cheap to replace these even going with Moog parts.

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page