What shocks and struts? I know it's been discussed a lot but... - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old February 9th, 2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

What shocks and struts? I know it's been discussed a lot but...

...I can't decide. I haven't found anyone with my set up with opinions. I have a convertible with Steeda sport springs. What stinks is advertised drop is 1.25 and I got a total of 1.5" drop. I'm guessing due to the added weight of the vert. I'm glad it didn't go any lower then that. I didn't want to slam it because of ride quality and bump steer issues. Also I barely clear some curbs with the chin spoiler.

I have Monroe sensatrac shocks and struts that have maybe 2k miles on them...maybe. I did them back when I was stock. Basically the ride is so...bouncy? I drive my focus and I barely notice a bump in the road. This car if I hit a bump, ess on the highway, I get bumped I feel like my car got air. It's that rough. The focus I notice zilch on the highway.

I want something that won't break the bank. Was looking at the Koni STR.T but read some say it's so soft which sounds like what I have now. Any thoughts? I want the ride of stock height back. I can't afford top of line and def not coil overs.

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old February 9th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Enthusiast

Garage
I did the eibach pro kit shocks and struts with my UPR springs on my 03. Drop was about 1.5" front and rear with those springs, and my ride can be stiff, and some bumps jaring, but it never feels floaty.

IDK the spring rate on the steeda sports, but I know they are a fixed spring rate, meaning they are much stiffer feeling than the stock progressive rate. Did you keep the spring isolators front and rear? If not that explains the difference in height. If you did keep the isos, than the extra drop is likely due to extra weight, like you said, but also may mean that the steeda springs don't have the proper rate for your setup.

You will never have a smooth, cushy ride, with lowering springs. The more you do to suspension to get better handling feel, etc, the more NVH and the stiffer the ride will be.

That said, I really like the Eibach shocks and struts, and they have a very nice warranty as well. Any aftermarket shock/strut combo will be better than an OE spec replacement, since the OE spec shocks/struts (like your monroes) are just not properly specced/setup to deal with lowering springs.

Have you called steeda yet to ask their recommendation? That is a good option as well.

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

1992 5.0 Auto Hatchback...needs wiring, interior, ...basically everything

RIP: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile
post #3 of 20 Old February 9th, 2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post
I did the eibach pro kit shocks and struts with my UPR springs on my 03. Drop was about 1.5" front and rear with those springs, and my ride can be stiff, and some bumps jaring, but it never feels floaty.

IDK the spring rate on the steeda sports, but I know they are a fixed spring rate, meaning they are much stiffer feeling than the stock progressive rate. Did you keep the spring isolators front and rear? If not that explains the difference in height. If you did keep the isos, than the extra drop is likely due to extra weight, like you said, but also may mean that the steeda springs don't have the proper rate for your setup.

You will never have a smooth, cushy ride, with lowering springs. The more you do to suspension to get better handling feel, etc, the more NVH and the stiffer the ride will be.

That said, I really like the Eibach shocks and struts, and they have a very nice warranty as well. Any aftermarket shock/strut combo will be better than an OE spec replacement, since the OE spec shocks/struts (like your monroes) are just not properly specced/setup to deal with lowering springs.

Have you called steeda yet to ask their recommendation? That is a good option as well.
Good ideas thank you. I actually installed new poly isolators when the springs were put in both front and back. I didn't want a 1.5 inch drop but that's what I was given.

Yes some bumps are jarring. It's not floaty but....stiff. reminds me of when I see a slammed Honda. While it doesn't bounce around and recovers extremely quick the initial jarring sometimes can rack your brain. It feels like I might get air or something. It's very stiff where I feel every bump and knick in the road.

I clinch my ass cheeks when I see a road to bridge transition on the highway going 80 because I know what's coming. I'd like to be able to go over it without the feeling of I'm about to fly. After that it goes back to smooth sailing.

Good idea on calling Steeda as that's what I did when I bought the springs. I was going to get cheap sr performance spring but AM advised against it on my car due to the weight. Plus I didn't want it too low because I have long tubes and didn't want speed bumps to destroy them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old February 9th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

Garage
Take a look at linear rate vs. progressive rate springs as well. heres one link with a little high level explanation.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resource...essive-springs

It may be worth looking into a different lowering spring. Also depending on your tire size/wear, you could look into a different tire size, with more sidewall, the next time you get tires. That may absorb some of the bumpiness.

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

post #5 of 20 Old February 9th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I am not impressed with my Koni STR.T...

I will be going with Bilsteins next time. I was going to the first time but cheapened out...I won't do that again.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Cammed / Geared / 440wh 400wt

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
post #6 of 20 Old February 9th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPackerFan View Post
I am not impressed with my Koni STR.T...

I will be going with Bilsteins next time. I was going to the first time but cheapened out...I won't do that again.
Are they worse than stock? I was thinking of getting Koni STR.T's since I really don't want to shell out so much for the Bilsteins :/
post #7 of 20 Old February 9th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Regular

I went straight to Bilstein and I don't regret it at all. They are expensive but totally worth the price. You can also convert them to coilovers with a kit from MM, which I'll eventually be doing. I have H&R race springs which is a 1.5ish inch drop but they are progressive and they ride extremely well. It's not smooth as butter but I have yet to find a harsh bump. Before that I had Eibach Sportline springs and stock struts and the thing rode like garbage. I had to dodge even the smallest holes or uneven ground otherwise I'd feel it in my spine. Now I don't care because it's so much better.

I have heard Tokico HPs are the aftermarket version of the Mach 1 struts which you can usually find pretty inexpensively. I know Tokico made the struts for the Mach 1 but don't make the OEM versions anymore. Also you can get second hand low mileage Bilsteins from Cobras for pretty cheap. They had normal ones and aren't quite as stiff as Bilsein HDs (which is the one everyone carries), but are only compatible with the front.

I'd focus on your spring rate and find a strut that is compatible with that. You could buy the best struts and springs on the market but if they are compatible with each other it will ride like crap. That's why the car is so bumpy, your struts can't keep up with the springs.

The ultimate daily driver project

post #8 of 20 Old February 9th, 2018, 07:26 PM
All Homo All The Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post

Was this sold as a kit? If so, where did you buy it from?
post #9 of 20 Old February 9th, 2018, 08:17 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
I found those springs at American Muscle. They are standard (not progressive) springs, 650 front and 250 rear (stock is 450 front and 210 rear). That means it will ride like an empty log truck. Just kidding. But it is going to ride rough. One guy in the comments section said he used Tokico HP struts and shocks and that it didn't ride too harsh but remember that is a subjective rating. Not too harsh to one is way to harsh to another. I also saw in the comments on the Steeda website that a two people were using Tokico HP struts and shocks.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/steed...ings-7904.html
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustan...-555-8200.html

That's all I found and I know nothing about Tokico HP except what they say in this video. In it he talks about a bouncy ride with stock shocks and struts.

But post on the Miata forum say they suck.
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=328974

That is all I could find. I guess I wasn't any help at all. I run Koni STR.T and I like them. Even though my car isn't lowered Maximum Motorsports recommends them with all of their progressive lowering spring packages.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #10 of 20 Old February 9th, 2018, 10:01 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare69 View Post
Was this sold as a kit? If so, where did you buy it from?

The shocks and struts came as a kit, I got them from AM, but I got them to price match to some obscure website. It doesnt look like that website exists anymore. This is the link. https://www.americanmuscle.com/eibac...oBDg&gclsrc=ds

I got the springs from UPR, 79-04 Mustang 4cyl V6 UPR Lowering Spring Kit by Eibach

I have a V6 so i got the v6 springs, but ive heard good things about their v8 springs as well.

The rest of my suspension came from UPR as well, or used take-off parts that I got off of corral/svtp.

If I were to go with Tokicos, I would go for the ilumina.

https://lmr.com/item/TOK-BB3140/94-0...na-Front-Strut
https://lmr.com/item/TOK-BE3723/94-0...ina-Rear-Shock

They are 5 way adjustable, IIRC, which would allow for adjustments to get a softer ride, etc.

post #11 of 20 Old February 10th, 2018, 02:05 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbydd21 View Post
Are they worse than stock? I was thinking of getting Koni STR.T's since I really don't want to shell out so much for the Bilsteins :/
It's much harsher than the Excel GR-2s I was running. I don't think they match my spring rates very well (FRPP C Springs...which are stiff...too stiff). I think Bilsteins are probably a better damper for my springs.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Cammed / Geared / 440wh 400wt

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
post #12 of 20 Old February 10th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Regular

Garage
As an owner of Koni STR.Ts all around, I suggest not wasting your money on them and step up to Bilsteins.

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
post #13 of 20 Old February 10th, 2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Those bilsteins are a hard pill to swallow. Looking at $650 neighborhood. Whewww

post #14 of 20 Old February 10th, 2018, 08:49 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser27 View Post
As an owner of Koni STR.Ts all around, I suggest not wasting your money on them and step up to Bilsteins.
I have them and have not experienced any problems. I like them. They gave me a firmer ride without being too rough (subjective opinion).

What is the problem I should look for?

Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
post #15 of 20 Old February 10th, 2018, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser27 View Post
I have them and have not experienced any problems. I like them. They gave me a firmer ride without being too rough (subjective opinion).

What is the problem I should look for?
You ride stock height tho right? He may be lowered.

post #16 of 20 Old February 10th, 2018, 10:18 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
You ride stock height tho right? He may be lowered.
No. It is probably spring tension. Maximum Motorsport recommend those exact shocks and struts for all of their progressive lowering springs. Check it out for yourself.
Koni Package, STR.T Struts & Shocks, 1994-04, solid axle

post #17 of 20 Old February 13th, 2018, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
No. It is probably spring tension. Maximum Motorsport recommend those exact shocks and struts for all of their progressive lowering springs. Check it out for yourself.
Koni Package, STR.T Struts & Shocks, 1994-04, solid axle
I need to find out what shock is best suited for a standard rate then. I'll call steeda today and see what comes of it. I appreciate your help!

post #18 of 20 Old February 17th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast

I am lowered on stock springs and use KYB adjustables and am happy with them
post #19 of 20 Old February 22nd, 2018, 09:58 AM
Regular

Eibach is the best way to go with that 96-04 platform.
post #20 of 20 Old February 25th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Hardcore Devotee

I have the Koni's but am at stock ride height still because of my driveway. I think they are decent for the money. My stockers were pretty worn out. They def were an improvement from stock. I would've gone with the bilsteins if I could have afforded it at the time.

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page