Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   96 - 04 (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/)
-   -   Headlights for our cars (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/630842-headlights-our-cars.html)

cl0udedth0ught February 25th, 2018 06:36 PM

Headlights for our cars

Has anyone found a set of headlights besides the OEM ones that the clear coat actually last more then a year or so? I've had two sets of the AM ones and one ebay set and the clear coat on all of them craps out right after the finish warranty expires. I can't be the only one that has had this issue... This isn't with HIDS or anything either. Just the regular bulbs on my daily driven car that gets garaged when I'm not at work/going somewhere.

I have a decent OEM set that were on my car but they are the ugly 99-00 ones.

Any suggestions?

TheOdessa February 25th, 2018 07:38 PM

25 Attachment(s)
Honestly it's all in the maintenance of them sadly. Aftermarket headlights are so cheap they require lots of maintenance versus the OEMs which can be restored and stay OEM quality again with maintenance.

I use 2 products to protect and keep my headlights like new mind you in the Florida sun. This trick has worked in both oem and aftermarket applications. I have eBay headlights last well over 5 years and counting with HIDs.

First polish them with Maguires plastix. Every Time you wash the car use it. I wash mine once a week. That means once a week it gets a coat of this stuff. It buffs the plastic to make it look new and protects.

Second use a headlight protectant. I apply it once every two months. Again Maguires makes this stuff. It has uv protectants.

That's my 2 cents. I use this stuff on all my exterior plastics. Raxiom 13 14 tails and LED third brake light. Also the side mirror housings and windshield wiper cowl. Even the plastic around the antenna. It all is prone to UV damage. Don't forget your fogs.

MG2V February 25th, 2018 08:28 PM

OEM will always be your best bet. The Ford lights can be had for less than what LMR and other vendors charge.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...PWxheWVyXzE%3D

Some people are having problems with the Ford lights, though. Apparently they are being shipped with a defect that affects how the bulb attaches. There's a thread on SVTP outlining it all. Still, a little over $200 shipped for OEM lights is a good price compared to aftermarket.

T-Lee. 30 February 25th, 2018 08:50 PM

Sub’d!

TheOdessa February 25th, 2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG2V (Post 11971050)
OEM will always be your best bet. The Ford lights can be had for less than what LMR and other vendors charge.

Some people are having problems with the Ford lights, though. Apparently they are being shipped with a defect that affects how the bulb attaches. There's a thread on SVTP outlining it all. Still, a little over $200 shipped for OEM lights is a good price compared to aftermarket.

Interesting. I have eBay specials. I had a run with eBay projector specials that left a lot to be desired so I returned them.

Eventually I'll be doing a hid retro. I have all the parts and morimoto h1 7.0 mini projectors but haven't had the will power to do it yet.

I still have the stickers. I'd retro those but they are held together by glue handed down by God himself.

Nightmare69 February 25th, 2018 10:38 PM

I bought a headlight restore kit from Walmart that attached to a drill. Worked great.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleu...&wl13=&veh=sem

HalNutt February 25th, 2018 11:45 PM

True the stock headlights last longer and good ole Harbor Freight has a resto kit for less than $15. Its not a “professional” go feature in a car show but worth the green for the result/time. Now its on the subject but I am not trying to take over or anything but I got a great deal on the Raxiom “angel eyes” has anyone installed these? Whats the blue wire for? Where does it hook up? How do I hook em up? Please if anyone has the time its well appreciated. Please I am sorry if I offend not anticipated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derfdog15 February 26th, 2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalNutt (Post 11971194)
True the stock headlights last longer and good ole Harbor Freight has a resto kit for less than $15. Its not a “professional” go feature in a car show but worth the green for the result/time. Now its on the subject but I am not trying to take over or anything but I got a great deal on the Raxiom “angel eyes” has anyone installed these? Whats the blue wire for? Where does it hook up? How do I hook em up? Please if anyone has the time its well appreciated. Please I am sorry if I offend not anticipated.

Likely the extra wire is for the halo portion ("angel eye") to get power to those LEDs. That would be my assumption. If that is the case, it is up to you how you want to install. If you want the angle eye on anytime the car is on, then find a source that is switched with the ignition. If you want them on when any lights are on (parking lights and headlights) then tap the parking light source. if you only want with headlights, then find a source that is only 'Hot' when the low beam/high beam is on.

You may be better off starting your own thread for this though, as I know others have installed them. Also pics/part numbers will help when you do so.

TheOdessa February 26th, 2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightmare69 (Post 11971138)
I bought a headlight restore kit from Walmart that attached to a drill. Worked great.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleu...&wl13=&veh=sem

Anything with a drill attachment versus hand kits are better imo. I got a similar kit from 3m. The cheapo turtle was kit sucks.

Now to keep them clear....protection and polish. It's the uv rays that do a number on paint and plastics. My 18 year old paint is well kept. It looks good for being 18 years old. Problem is the previous owner didn't think this way so there is swirl marks and cat claw marks and all kind of stuff in the paint. I got it as good as I can but I'm OCD and want to just get it redone.

TheOdessa February 26th, 2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derfdog15 (Post 11971234)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HalNutt (Post 11971194)

Likely the extra wire is for the halo portion ("angel eye") to get power to those LEDs. That would be my assumption. If that is the case, it is up to you how you want to install. If you want the angle eye on anytime the car is on, then find a source that is switched with the ignition. If you want them on when any lights are on (parking lights and headlights) then tap the parking light source. if you only want with headlights, then find a source that is only 'Hot' when the low beam/high beam is on.

You may be better off starting your own thread for this though, as I know others have installed them. Also pics/part numbers will help when you do so.

Agreed. I am not a fan of these headlights so I never looked into it. Oem or retrofit only....but that's just me.

ZEN357 February 26th, 2018 02:56 PM

Try LMR Restoration for new headlights.

TheOdessa February 26th, 2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEN357 (Post 11971418)
Try LMR Restoration for new headlights.

They sell the same aftermarket lights as AM or eBay or amazon.

dexdiman February 26th, 2018 04:52 PM

I have purchased a brand called Eagle that I used to retrofit my headlights with and they have lasted really well almost a year later. Depo is also a pretty good aftermarket brand. When my car was hit and a headlight needed to be replaced the body shop recommend that brand. I've also gotten OEM Ford headlights for under $100 a pair from Ebay. I had to buy to individual headlights from two different sellers but they were in really good condition.

cl0udedth0ught February 26th, 2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dexdiman (Post 11971482)
I have purchased a brand called Eagle that I used to retrofit my headlights with and they have lasted really well almost a year later. Depo is also a pretty good aftermarket brand. When my car was hit and a headlight needed to be replaced the body shop recommend that brand. I've also gotten OEM Ford headlights for under $100 a pair from Ebay. I had to buy to individual headlights from two different sellers but they were in really good condition.

This is a good idea. I may go with this or the ones that MG2V posted. Thanks for the help guys. Also, some folks posted about buffing them with one of those drill attachments but that won't help me because the clear coat is actually peeling off the light. I did clean up the stockers using my DA and buffing pads that way but I really don't like the look of the 99-00 lights.

TheOdessa February 26th, 2018 07:42 PM

Eagle eye headlights on Amazon are the best for retros because they are horizontal and vertical aiming. Depo used to be this way but they are now vertical only.

Something to keep in mind

HalNutt February 26th, 2018 08:51 PM

If anyone is interested for a hundred bucks plus shipping I will send a set of headlights or tail lights from a 04 and a resurfacing kit. The tail lights are nice but the headlights are yellowing hence The resurfacing kit inclusion OEM 2004 head lights or tail lights or both $100/pair & kit

TheOdessa February 27th, 2018 09:56 AM

This Thread inspired me to finish my hid retrofit. Depending on if the sealant comes in by The weekend I will tackle it this weekend. Separate thread to come

cl0udedth0ught February 27th, 2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOdessa (Post 11971746)
This Thread inspired me to finish my hid retrofit. Depending on if the sealant comes in by The weekend I will tackle it this weekend. Separate thread to come

Haha glad I could motivate you.

maxgst February 27th, 2018 06:22 PM

after you buy the headlights, spray them with some good clearcoat. They will last a LOT longer

PULMEOVR March 3rd, 2018 02:06 AM

To me, the OEM Ford headlights are worth the extra money.

They just last longer and are of better quality than the aftermarket offerings.