Our cars are getting old... - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dexdiman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old February 28th, 2018, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Devotee

Our cars are getting old...

I've owned my 00' GT since 2011 and little problems are finally starting to crop up. Nothing that has really made the car unreliable per-say but just annoying problems. My seats belts are fraying slightly, my door cups had tabs that were broken and would pull out when you open/close the door, my trunk struts have given out essentially turning my trunk into a guillotine, and my e-brake handle rattles slightly while I'm driving down the road which has become a huge irritation unless I lift up on it slightly and set it back down.

Granted I've replaced the door cups and I'm doing the trunk struts soon once I order them but I'm just curious if the same parts are wearing out on other people cars?

I really have no complaints as the car has been super reliable and has never left me totally stranded. The only time close was when my clutch cable snapped and I had to drive it without the clutch to get it home but still not too bad for a car that is 18ish years old and has close to 130k on it.

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old February 28th, 2018, 08:28 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Send a message via Yahoo to T-Lee. 30
I have owned mine since 2005 I’m not having any of those issues at all. I had a small coolant leak where one of the tranny lines go into the radiator late last year so I spent about an hour replacing that. Trans temp sensor back in 2009, axle seals back in 2012. No interior parts are really wearing out on mine though even after having it since 2005 but I have always had another vehicle on the side along with it it’s at 100,000 miles and change now it was at around 7000 or so if I remember correctly when I got it.

-03 GT V1S trim 5psi, 3xxhp/3xxtq
-06 TBSS LS3H,cam,f.exhaust 4xxrwhp/4xxrwtq
-03 Dakota SLT Quad cab 2wd stock

Iraq and Afghanistan War Vet . Convoys and convoy security. My Wife is also a Army and Afghanistan war vet.
post #3 of 18 Old February 28th, 2018, 09:11 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
I've had my car since 2006. It now has 208,000 miles and I don't have those problems. I think the previous owner might have had trouble with the door cups because he put a single screw in both sides. It doesn't look bad. I thought it came from the factory that way until I saw other door cups.

The biggest problem with my interior is that the driver's seat is pretty much worn out. I have trouble with the seat belt retracting but I've had that problem since 2006 and think its a design flaw. My trunk still works even though I moved the rear wing back 2" changing its balance. (I hated that middle of the trunk factory location of the 99s and 00s.) I have had to do repairs the most expensive was probably getting the clutch changed (mods don't count). The bearings in my front wheels wore out around the 130-135K mark. The axle bearings in the rear were changed when I put in the 3.73 gears and 31-spline axles. I had to buy two new COPs and replace the intake manifold.

Over the years I don't think I have had excessive repairs on the Mustang... unless I compare it to my wife's 2003 Toyota Highlander. It has almost 250,000 miles and the only repairs are a water pump, tail light assembly and brake pads. It has the easiest brake pads in the world to change. I've changed them twice and both times caught them before they got in the rotors. We're still running the original rotors. The interior looks great when its cleaned up. The driver's seat doesn't even show any wear. I would buy another Toyota Highlander in a heartbeat. Ours has been unbelievably reliable.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old February 28th, 2018, 09:17 PM
King Trashmouth

Mine has stayed in good shape. It may have something to do with a combination of everything being broke when I got it, replacing everything and spending most of its life on jackstands.
post #5 of 18 Old February 28th, 2018, 10:48 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
well... I have never been an aggressive door closer or violent whilst removing the door cups... so mine are inperfect shape. my trunk struts are shot... 2nd set semi gone since the saleen wing literally weighs one metric shit ton compared to the stock one.

As far as irritating things, the bezel around the radio rattles. pulled it out and put some sticky foam tape behind it and now it's silent.

that's about it... any gripes compared to when I bought it were all caused by me modifying everything on the car. less the tranny.

Mmr900 4.75 striker. Stock heads, CMS stage 2 turbo cams, on3 67mm ball bwaring billet wheel turbo kit @12.7 psi
539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

post #6 of 18 Old February 28th, 2018, 11:08 PM
All Homo All The Time

DS window doesnít work unless you remove the door panel and beat on the motor. I will be replacing it next. Paint is in bad shape, clear coat is almost gone on roof and trunk due to being outside most of its life. I have a garage now. Owned it since 2009 and I was the 5th owner. 67k when I got it and now itís 105k strong and soon to be supercharged.
post #7 of 18 Old March 1st, 2018, 11:52 AM
Regular

I bought my car in 2010 and am the 7th or 8th owner of the car. I normally don't buy cars with that many owners but I had every record for anything done with the car since it was bought from the dealer new in 2003, even the original purchase documents. Everyone who owned it before me was a mustang lover so the car was in amazing condition. Aside from regular maintenance - tires, fluids, spark plugs, brakes, etc. I've had to replace the intake manifold, the seat belts (stopped retracting), IAC, trunk struts, and overhaul my suspension because just about every part had perished. Currently, my alternator and A/C compressor are going bad, but they are original to the car so they had a good life.

The interior is in good condition except the driver seat bolster is worn out due to years of getting in and out, and the steering wheel is just starting to show signs of wear where I always put my hands.

Reliability has never been in question. These engines are one of the most reliable engines Ford has ever made. A couple of examples: Went drag racing for the first time last summer. On one of the runs shifted from 1st to 2nd and then into 1st at about 70 mph. The car certainly didn't like that but I shifted into 3rd and kept on rolling with no problems. Still have never had any drive train problems. Another time my engine should have exploded, was on a really hot day my intake cracked and all the coolant in the car drained out in a matter of seconds. I didn't notice until the engine started acting really strangely then I realized the engine temp gauge was pegged. Pulled over and let the engine cool then drove it home with out an issue. Replaced the intake and put new coolant in the engine and she has been purring ever since. God I love these cars.
Mike's03Mach likes this.

The ultimate daily driver project

post #8 of 18 Old March 1st, 2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Devotee

Interesting to hear everyone else's stories. I also have done the door lock actuators, the tie rod ends, and the fuel filler neck gasket. I forgot about those as they were a while ago. Everything else has been a choice to replace/upgrade. I really can't complain considering the car has been my daily driver and has been dead reliable.

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

post #9 of 18 Old March 1st, 2018, 05:52 PM
Regular

So far it's looking like I'll be replacing/rebuilding the engine, starter and I changed the battery. Car is currently sitting in the garage.

1998 v6 - Sold
2000 GT - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - Current
post #10 of 18 Old March 1st, 2018, 06:05 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
I will point out that I had my stock engine canned for 60,000 miles, and supercharged for 12,000 miles as well. and even though driving from point A to point B I would drive it like a 70 year old man during the majority of the day. I ran it hard, a lot! we would go out several times a week looking for... "excitement". lol

Mmr900 4.75 striker. Stock heads, CMS stage 2 turbo cams, on3 67mm ball bwaring billet wheel turbo kit @12.7 psi
539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

post #11 of 18 Old March 1st, 2018, 06:32 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

MY driver's seat is worn out, my carpet is a tad nasty from prev owner, but everything mechanically has been fine. Transmission is stock with 193k miles. Axles are stock. I did do new bearings and seals when I did 4.10s. Almost everything has been replaced suspension wise. It is definitely old but it still runs and drives really well and I would not hesitate to take it on a long road trip.

Just recently my bass stopped working...not sure if it's an AMP issues or headunit issue (stock Mach 460 headunit and amps)...car has been on jack stands for a few months while I put my procharger on it so i haven't had a chance to look at it.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Cammed / Geared / 440wh 400wt

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
post #12 of 18 Old March 1st, 2018, 09:28 PM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

When I get home I'll post my repairs. It's a nice long list too and I have 97648 on the clock. I thought these cars were supposed to be tanks. Not so much

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
post #13 of 18 Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Bought my car new in 02. I just keep on rebuilding it. I still has a few stock items on it.

2002 GT Teksid TFS Heads Edelbrock Intake Twin PTE 6466 turbos TH400/UCC Converter Holley Dominator EFI
2018 Challenger Scat

Eddie Edwards on facebook
post #14 of 18 Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:44 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

I had to replace all 8 cops, a/c compressor, one of the a/c hoses, axle seals, tie rods, alternator, intake manifold, cowl panel, clutch, and battery terminals several times. I think I had 127k on it when I sold it.
post #15 of 18 Old March 2nd, 2018, 03:03 PM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

I'll make a list of things I've had to replace and things that need to be done:

Trunk Shocks
Power Steering Rack
Power Steering Pump
CCRM
AC Resistor Assembly
Alternator
Intake Manifold (came with plastic coolant crossover)
Hood Latch
Lower Ball Joints
Tie Rod Ends
Brake pads and rotors
Radiator (spring a leak)
Heater core inlet and outlet hoses (both broke)
Rear Gear Pinion Bearing (Just went ahead and had the entire rear end rebuilt with 4.10 gears, trac loc, axle bearings and seals, and FRPP cover)
Clutch
TOB
My valve stem seals were leaking causing a smoke screen after idling. Fixed with Mobil 1 5W-30 Full Syn High Mileage Oil and AT205 on every oil change
New shocks and struts needed
New Alternator
New Water Pump
One of the idler pulleys started making noise so I replaced both
New Fuel Filter
New Rear End Pinion Seal (original started leaking)
New EGR Regulator (stock broke on the feed and return lines)
Trunk weather strip
Rewrapped steering wheel with new leather - old crapped out
Timing chain guides (stock had the metal chewed through)
Oil pan gasket
Valve cover gaskets

That's all I can think of that I replaced because it failed. A more detailed list is in my sig - but those had to be done due to failure.

Things I need to get done:
Lower control arms - The bushings are pretty badly worn - Have MOOG replacements that need to be installed
Front driver caliper sticks slightly - have new ones from RockAuto for both sides - need to install
Paint is looking rough
Driver and passenger seat need to be replaced or reupholstered

That's all I can think of at the moment. I am currently doing a few different projects. I have a HID retrofit I need to get done. I have the parts just need to get it done. I'm completely redoing my sound system - just need to get it installed. NVX 6.5 components for the front, install NVX speakers in the rear to fill. Need to build an amp rack for the Hifonics 4-chan amp to run it all. Already have a Alpine Type R 10" sub in a ported box (1CU/FT tuned to 34HZ).

Then there's the things I need to get done. I have the parts (minus seats and paint) but need to get it done.

I also need to rerun the power wires for the amps as the ones I ran 8 years ago were cheap crap.

It's an on-going project.

post #16 of 18 Old March 2nd, 2018, 03:47 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
When I get home I'll post my repairs. It's a nice long list too and I have 97648 on the clock. I thought these cars were supposed to be tanks. Not so much
Just like any car...it's hit or miss. I have a 2010 Dodge Caravan that we've had since 2012 bought it with 32,xxx miles. It now has 148,xxx miles and the only thing I've had to replace is a radiator hose that cost me $10 dollars to make, after the stealership wanted $180. And we replaced the brakes and rotors.

I bought a 2000 GT in May 2013 for 3k, sold it June 2015 for $2,900 only thing I changed on it was the IAC. Bought my Mach 1 March 2017, engine knock Aug 2017. You win some, you lose some.

1998 v6 - Sold
2000 GT - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - Current
post #17 of 18 Old March 3rd, 2018, 02:02 AM
Regular

These cars are well built for sure.

I’ve owned mine since 2004, when I bought it from its first owner with 16,000 miles on it. I’m currently at almost 80,000.

I’ve replaced:

- DS door lock actuator
- Gas tank (original cracked)
- Mach 460 CD player is broken (still have to fix)
- Traction-lok needs a third rebuild
- A.C. no longer works (might just need to refill Refrigerant)
- The foam behind HVAC vents is disintegrating
- DS balljoint

Pretty good! I’m sure I’m forgetting a few things.

I notice some moderate wear on the driver’s cloth seat, and the steering wheel. I’ve also replaced items that wore out from sun damage (tail lights, head lights, “GT” fender badges, cowl cover, wiper arms, etc).

'02 GT

Black - 5 Speed

Accufab 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC catted Prochamber, Flowmaster 40 weld-ins, Magnaflow 3.5" tips, H&R SS springs, Steeda CC plates, Tokico Blues, '03 Cobra Brakes, MACH 1 grill delete, 18" staggered Saleens, SCT Tuning
post #18 of 18 Old March 3rd, 2018, 02:50 AM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

My garage is basically geared around my car. I have shelving and a toolbox filled with either tools I bought for the car or parts I need to install. I like buying stuff but it's hard to find time to actually install the stuff.

From the reading it seems like the guys building my car were angry that day lol I just feel like too much crap has gone bad for the mileage on it. It is a 18 year old car so I can't forget that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page