Vert Window Gap - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old March 6th, 2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 76
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Vert Window Gap

Hey guys I've been having a leaking issue with my drivers side window for a while now and I can't figure out how to fix it. The leak is due to a slight gap between the top of the drivers side window and the seals on the top. I cannot get the window to seal tightly in the weatherstrip. If I adjust the bump stop up any further then the window hits the top. It's almost like the window is not going far enough inwards into the seal. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

https://ibb.co/cXYi07
https://ibb.co/kNNXtS
https://ibb.co/gKcXtS
https://ibb.co/hsoGL7
Bobbydd21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old March 6th, 2018, 10:53 AM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
 
TheOdessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,215
           
iTrader: 4 reviews
Welcome to the wonderful world of the vert life. If I ever get a new stang... never again

With that said is your weatherstripping stock? I've been slowly replacing mine due to sagging and it disintegrating. First the trunk decided to fail letting in water and causing a mold infestation. Then I did the outter lower window seals because the old ones were faded.

Lmr sells replacements.

The only time I can think of that I close my door and the seals don't line up is if the car is jacked up... but that was before the flsfc. I'd stick the stands behind the front tires on the frame and the front of the car looked like it was drooping down a bit. Unibodies...fun

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
TheOdessa is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old March 6th, 2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 76
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of the vert life. If I ever get a new stang... never again

With that said is your weatherstripping stock? I've been slowly replacing mine due to sagging and it disintegrating. First the trunk decided to fail letting in water and causing a mold infestation. Then I did the outter lower window seals because the old ones were faded.

Lmr sells replacements.

The only time I can think of that I close my door and the seals don't line up is if the car is jacked up... but that was before the flsfc. I'd stick the stands behind the front tires on the frame and the front of the car looked like it was drooping down a bit. Unibodies...fun
This vert and I have a love hate relationship haha.

I thought warn seals was the issue too so I just replaced all of them. No improvement. Passengers side is fine.
Bobbydd21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old March 6th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 979
 
Garage
iTrader: 3 reviews
It almost looks to me like the door may be out of alignment, based on the gap in the 3rd pic. You can adjust the window track in the front and rear IIRC as well, may need to slightly adjust the frame up in the rear portion.

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

1992 5.0 Auto Hatchback...needs wiring, interior, ...basically everything

RIP: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile
Derfdog15 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old March 6th, 2018, 01:26 PM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
 
TheOdessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,215
           
iTrader: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post
It almost looks to me like the door may be out of alignment, based on the gap in the 3rd pic. You can adjust the window track in the front and rear IIRC as well, may need to slightly adjust the frame up in the rear portion.
I was installing component speakers in my car over the weekend and found a random piece of metal sitting on the bottom of the door behind the speaker. I'll have to take a pic. I wonder if that's what it is. I almost threw it away but it was plastic on it that looks like goes up against the glass.

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
TheOdessa is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old March 6th, 2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 76
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
I was installing component speakers in my car over the weekend and found a random piece of metal sitting on the bottom of the door behind the speaker. I'll have to take a pic. I wonder if that's what it is. I almost threw it away but it was plastic on it that looks like goes up against the glass.
Hmm intersting. I wonder if something similar is happening here.

I also found this:
One of the comments on that video says "Good vid. If I can add some advice. Before doing this, make sure your door hinge/pin assemblies are tight and not worn out. This will cause the door/window assembly to droop down, and misalign. That and your door latch striker plate should also be properly adjusted. Worn hinge pins are a common weak spot on these doors (like mine were). Just saying."

I wonder if this could be the issue? If the door is closed though I don't see how the hinge/pin would cause a window misalignment. It seems like the door dragging would just make it harder to close, but once closed I don't see how the door could still be drooping.
Bobbydd21 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old March 6th, 2018, 02:38 PM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
 
TheOdessa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,215
           
iTrader: 4 reviews
I think the poster on that video was pointing out 2 separate issues. Window misalignment OR door misalignment. Now you got me wondering how my window looks.

OP take off the door panel and poke around. See if you saw random metal on the bottom of the door like me. Takes all of 5 mins to remove the panel.

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
TheOdessa is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old March 6th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 979
 
Garage
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbydd21 View Post
Hmm intersting. I wonder if something similar is happening here.

I also found this: 99-04 Mustang window track repair - YouTube
One of the comments on that video says "Good vid. If I can add some advice. Before doing this, make sure your door hinge/pin assemblies are tight and not worn out. This will cause the door/window assembly to droop down, and misalign. That and your door latch striker plate should also be properly adjusted. Worn hinge pins are a common weak spot on these doors (like mine were). Just saying."

I wonder if this could be the issue? If the door is closed though I don't see how the hinge/pin would cause a window misalignment. It seems like the door dragging would just make it harder to close, but once closed I don't see how the door could still be drooping.
I don't have my 03 on hand, and my '92 doesnt have front windows, or interior, or well most of the car. But I can take some pics of the door gap on the fox if you guys want, so you can see how it could effect things. On the fox, my doors need aligned for sure, and you have to lift up and push at an angle to get them to latch. I could see how missaligned door hinge would cause just enough droop/outer push for the window to not seat right.

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

1992 5.0 Auto Hatchback...needs wiring, interior, ...basically everything

RIP: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile
Derfdog15 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old March 6th, 2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 76
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
I think the poster on that video was pointing out 2 separate issues. Window misalignment OR door misalignment. Now you got me wondering how my window looks.

OP take off the door panel and poke around. See if you saw random metal on the bottom of the door like me. Takes all of 5 mins to remove the panel.
Nope I've had the panel off for the past week trying to fix this and I haven't seen any.
Bobbydd21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome