Transmission leak (pics) - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old May 18th, 2018, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
All Homo All The Time

Transmission leak (pics)

A few months ago I changed a bad tailshaft seal and changed my tranny fluid. I now have this leak that idk where its coming from. I filled it from the top and used silicone as my gasket. It may be coming from there but want some opinions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old May 19th, 2018, 01:03 AM
Regular

What year/trans? If I had to take a shot in the dark, I'd say maybe the shifter base gasket, or that silicone you used, or possibly even a hairline fracture.

It's hard to pinpoint in the pictures, degrease it and wipe it down then take it for a spin, it'll be easier to tell where it's coming from. If it's the tailshaft again, it'll spin trans fluid everywhere so you'll get a coat on everything; if it's just leaking from the casing somewhere else you'll see it pretty clearly.

2003 Mustang GT
K&N Cold Air/BBK 78mm Throttle intake/BBK long tubes/BBK cat less X-pipe/Flowmaster 40s
post #3 of 28 Old May 19th, 2018, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
All Homo All The Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredpony69 View Post
What year/trans? If I had to take a shot in the dark, I'd say maybe the shifter base gasket, or that silicone you used, or possibly even a hairline fracture.

It's hard to pinpoint in the pictures, degrease it and wipe it down then take it for a spin, it'll be easier to tell where it's coming from. If it's the tailshaft again, it'll spin trans fluid everywhere so you'll get a coat on everything; if it's just leaking from the casing somewhere else you'll see it pretty clearly.
2003 GT manual trans. Im going to pull the shifter tomorrow to add some fluid, Ill check everything then. The tailshaft seems clean.
GBPackerFan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old May 19th, 2018, 05:03 PM
MM Fanatic

Im thinking its the shifter gasket. The old one needs to be replaced once the shifter has come off for any reason and I think like only one person makes them. My 02 gt has had a leak around the shifter base since I put on my pro 5.0. Have you checked the shifter bolts?

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #5 of 28 Old May 19th, 2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
All Homo All The Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtS197 View Post
Im thinking its the shifter gasket. The old one needs to be replaced once the shifter has come off for any reason and I think like only one person makes them. My 02 gt has had a leak around the shifter base since I put on my pro 5.0. Have you checked the shifter bolts?
I ordered a new gasket as no local auto parts stores carry it. $16.99 from LMR so it will be next week before it comes in. Im going to clean up the trans and add fluid and see if the new gasket fixes the leak.
post #6 of 28 Old May 19th, 2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
All Homo All The Time

I’ll never use silicon again. Had to use a pry bar and hammer to break the shifter loose.

Got it all cleaned up and ready for the new gasket. The entire trans is dirty so it’s hard to tell of it was coming from the top.
post #7 of 28 Old May 20th, 2018, 10:32 PM
Regular

Yeah that gasket is a pain to find, hopefully that works for you!

2003 Mustang GT
K&N Cold Air/BBK 78mm Throttle intake/BBK long tubes/BBK cat less X-pipe/Flowmaster 40s
post #8 of 28 Old May 25th, 2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
All Homo All The Time

Installed the new gasket a couple of days ago and this morning confirmed it’s still leaking. 2-3 drops under the car and one drop building on the bottom of the trans. I cleaned up the trans the best I could so this weekend I’ll get back under there and see if I can tell where it’s coming from.
post #9 of 28 Old May 25th, 2018, 05:31 PM
MM Fanatic

I read there is a vent up there close to the shifter that can clog and cause leaking. I dont know how you would be able to get to it without dropping the trans though.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #10 of 28 Old May 25th, 2018, 08:05 PM

Garage
Make sure all bolts are tight for tail shaft housing. There are two at very top forward of shifter.

Quote:
I read there is a vent up there close to the shifter that can clog and cause leaking. I dont know how you would be able to get to it without dropping the trans though.
Only vent is up top, at front of transmission where bell meets case.

Ed...
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 35" tires, daily ride
1984 Mustang GT350 Vert, 351w project
2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange/5speed Best 1/4 [email protected], 1/8 [email protected], 1.57 60' - Best 60' 1.51, just a NA 2v, 320rwhp/326rwtq
post #11 of 28 Old May 26th, 2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
All Homo All The Time

Quote:
Ill check that, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
Make sure all bolts are tight for tail shaft housing. There are two at very top forward of shifter.

Only vent is up top, at front of transmission where bell meets case.
Can those be reached without dropping the trans?
post #12 of 28 Old May 26th, 2018, 10:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare69 View Post
Ill check that, thanks.

Can those be reached without dropping the trans?
Maybe, you might be able to see them from tunnel opening where shifter comes into car. About 3" ahead of the front two shifter bolts. If enough room you might get a rachet with short extension to them. May even get to them from under car with extensions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolt location.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	202313  

Ed...
2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange/5speed Best 1/4 [email protected], 1/8 [email protected], 1.57 60' - Best 60' 1.51, just a NA 2v, 320rwhp/326rwtq
post #13 of 28 Old May 26th, 2018, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
All Homo All The Time

I still cannot tell where it’s coming from so I got my can of carb cleaner and hoses down the trans to really clean it up. Took some before pics and will check back in later to see if I can tell about where the leak is. I checked the bolts and they are all tight.

That white wire is my cell phone cord that got jammed when putting the shifter back together.

It may be where the factory silicon joints are. It looks like it’s somwhere above the crossmember but I can see much above it.
post #14 of 28 Old May 27th, 2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
All Homo All The Time

After driving the car today I checked again. It’s coming from somewhere above the cross member as it’s the only place with trans oil. I cannot see where though. I don’t believe it’s from the shifter base as all that looks clean. Any ideas?

post #15 of 28 Old May 27th, 2018, 08:34 PM

Garage
What about the speed sensor there? It looks wet in pics or is that from flash?

Ed...
post #16 of 28 Old May 27th, 2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
All Homo All The Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
What about the speed sensor there? It looks wet in pics or is that from flash?
Is this the speed sensor?

No signs of a leak from there.
post #17 of 28 Old May 31st, 2018, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
I’ll never use silicon again. Had to use a pry bar and hammer to break the shifter loose.

Got it all cleaned up and ready for the new gasket. The entire trans is dirty so it’s hard to tell of it was coming from the top.
I use red high temp RTV,

Don't bother prying and pulling on the shifter you will break something. Get a small 2x4 and set it on the either side of the shifter you can get at from underneath the car. Give it one moderate whack with a hammer and the shifter will pop right of. Done deal...

Is this thing still leaking?
post #18 of 28 Old June 1st, 2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
All Homo All The Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyshot View Post
Quote:

I use red high temp RTV,

Don't bother prying and pulling on the shifter you will break something. Get a small 2x4 and set it on the either side of the shifter you can get at from underneath the car. Give it one moderate whack with a hammer and the shifter will pop right of. Done deal...

Is this thing still leaking?
Yeah. I’ve determined it’s somewhere above the crossmember and cannot get to it without dropping the trans. So once a month I’ll add a bit of fluid as it only leaks a few drops when I drive it. It will need a clutch within a year so I’ll address it then.
post #19 of 28 Old June 1st, 2018, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:

Yes that is the speed sensor, It looks like the revers inhibitor sensor might be leaking on the other side of the trans. You just might be able to get at that sensor from under the car. If it is leaking they are just held in with tread tape and a bit of anaerobic sealant cant hurt. I bet that is where its leaking. You don't have to drop the trans just get a jack under it and pull the cross member to gain access. Check your cross member while your at it, if its stock I bet it needs replacement.
post #20 of 28 Old June 1st, 2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
All Homo All The Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyshot View Post
Quote:

Yes that is the speed sensor, It looks like the revers inhibitor sensor might be leaking on the other side of the trans. You just might be able to get at that sensor from under the car. If it is leaking they are just held in with tread tape and a bit of anaerobic sealant cant hurt. I bet that is where its leaking. You don't have to drop the trans just get a jack under it and pull the cross member to gain access. Check your cross member while your at it, if its stock I bet it needs replacement.
Thanks man! I’ll definitely give that a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page