Average cost to install cams + is it worth it? - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old August 13th, 2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Average cost to install cams + is it worth it?

My 2v is mostly stock aside from LTH and a CAI and I have really been thinking about getting cams installed on it. Exlcuding the parts them self, anyone know an average cost would be to get them installed? I realize some may say do it at home, but I currently don't have the space or tools at the moment to be pulling out my engine and installing cams. If anyone has had them installed before, I'd appreciate any prices you got from shops. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old August 13th, 2018, 11:00 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
I have no idea what the current prices are. It probably varies by region. But regardless of region I don't think they are cost effective. With cams you are looking at low 300 hp. You can bolt on a supercharger without ever taking the motor apart and easily get mid-400 hp. I'm running 450 at the crank (STD corrected 396 at the wheels). If the tune is right our motor easily hold up to that power level. I've been running at that power for over 130,000 miles. My car has 210,000 total miles on it.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #3 of 23 Old August 13th, 2018, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
I have no idea what the current prices are. It probably varies by region. But regardless of region I don't think they are cost effective. With cams you are looking at low 300 hp. You can bolt on a supercharger without ever taking the motor apart and easily get mid-400 hp. I'm running 450 at the crank (STD corrected 396 at the wheels). If the tune is right our motor easily hold up to that power level. I've been running at that power for over 130,000 miles. My car has 210,000 total miles on it.
Yeah, just trying to see how much I may be spending. My father has a 2004 GT with cams and a Kenne Bell and its a great car, but I really think the shop he want to screwed him with labor and price. I really am up in the air with what I want to do with this car. Cams are something I think I would love to do just to get that lope sound with the car, but at the same time I feel it might be smarter for me to just save my money for now and put it towards a possible 4v swap later since they are much better when it comes to making power than the 2v. I appreciate the response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old August 14th, 2018, 12:20 PM
Regular

These mod motors are pretty much at their peek efficiency, and don't respond well to bolt ons. With LT headers, intake, and cams these motors do sound amazing but expect a great sounding motor and that's it. My friend just bought a 2003 GT and he was asking me what mods he should do to the motor. I told him "nothing, supercharge it and be done." If you do any bolt ons, do it for the great sound. I'm not telling you to not get cams, but don't expect power. Cams would be worth it after it's surcharged.

If you go the 4v route, look into a Teksid build. You can pretty inexpensively build a super beefy light motor.

The ultimate daily driver project

post #5 of 23 Old August 14th, 2018, 12:45 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
They arent that bad at all to install. I did mine myself. I sent them out to MHS to get degreed and all you do is line the dots up. Is it worth it? For me it was but I have supercharger.

1998 Mustang Cobra [Sold]
2000 Mustang Gt Built/Blown [Sold]

1995 Mustang Gt Built/Turbo [Part-Out]
1998 Mustang Gt Built 2v / Vortech V3 (Budget Blue)
post #6 of 23 Old August 14th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minos View Post
My 2v is mostly stock aside from LTH and a CAI and I have really been thinking about getting cams installed on it. Exlcuding the parts them self, anyone know an average cost would be to get them installed? I realize some may say do it at home, but I currently don't have the space or tools at the moment to be pulling out my engine and installing cams. If anyone has had them installed before, I'd appreciate any prices you got from shops. Thanks!
Coming from a lot of experience with this car, cams were one of my favorite mods. I had more fun with bolt ons, cams and gears than I did with a blower in top of that, and even more so than a built motor, turbocharger, etc .

Sure, dont expect a rocket ship out of it. But bolt one and exhaust you might be at 250-60rwhp. Cams and a tune can get you an additional 40-50rwhp. It isnt going to make your car hang with a coyote. But it will level the playing field with an NA 4v car that has bolt ons, exhaust and gears.

So it is damn fun. I used to run my friends new edge cobra that had the same mods as mine minus cams.(my car wasnt even tuned) and we would be side by side everytime we raced.

My 02. They will always bring a smile to your face without making you worry about melting pistons or throwing rods.

Mmr900 4.75 striker. Stock heads, CMS stage 2 turbo cams, on3 67mm ball bwaring billet wheel turbo kit @12.7 psi
539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

post #7 of 23 Old August 14th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Regular

Along with the cams u will need to upgrade your valve springs to get a cam worth doing. The cams are worth the sound if u ask me and cushman motorsports stage 2 n/a cams are the ones u want. If staying n/a.
post #8 of 23 Old August 15th, 2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

[
Sure, dont expect a rocket ship out of it. But bolt one and exhaust you might be at 250-60rwhp. Cams and a tune can get you an additional 40-50rwhp. It isnt going to make your car hang with a coyote. But it will level the playing field with an NA 4v car that has bolt ons, exhaust and gears.

So it is damn fun. I used to run my friends new edge cobra that had the same mods as mine minus cams.(my car wasnt even tuned) and we would be side by side everytime we raced.

My 02. They will always bring a smile to your face without making you worry about melting pistons or throwing rods.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think its something I will probably end up doing soon. I honestly am not worried about a major power gain with cams, really just trying to get that lope sound. Thanks for the response!
post #9 of 23 Old August 15th, 2018, 02:53 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Just cams and degree without changing springs $600. Cams, degree, springs $1000. That'll about be the average. Lowest quote I got a few years ago when I inquired was $850 for cams and springs plus shop supplies. Highest was $1200 with everything included.

2004 DSG Mustang Mach 1 4r75w - 508/436 on E85. 460/396 on 93. Intercooled Vortech V1 S trim, Circle D 4c converter, BCA valve body, VRS o/r x pipe. 11.37 @ 120.8 mph 1.63 60'

Last edited by blownstang; August 15th, 2018 at 07:38 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old August 15th, 2018, 08:59 PM

Yes cams are worth it and if your gonna get them get them from Todd Warren. You can find him on facebook at NaSVT. He specs them for you. You can get a set and not have to change springs. My last 2 Machs had cams from todd and I didnt have to change springs and they made good power. I think I got 45 hp through an automatic after the tune and it sounded great Here is a video

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3lvoylqpnq...81%29.mov?dl=0
bodyshot likes this.
post #11 of 23 Old August 16th, 2018, 02:20 PM
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexdiman View Post
These mod motors are pretty much at their peek efficiency, and don't respond well to bolt ons. With LT headers, intake, and cams these motors do sound amazing but expect a great sounding motor and that's it. My friend just bought a 2003 GT and he was asking me what mods he should do to the motor. I told him "nothing, supercharge it and be done." If you do any bolt ons, do it for the great sound. I'm not telling you to not get cams, but don't expect power. Cams would be worth it after it's surcharged.

If you go the 4v route, look into a Teksid build. You can pretty inexpensively build a super beefy light motor.
Would you recommend blower cams on a 4v forged motor with nitrous or just regular comp cams so gains are most when not spraying and some what okay when sprayed?
post #12 of 23 Old August 16th, 2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwabbit703 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexdiman View Post

Would you recommend blower cams on a 4v forged motor with nitrous or just regular comp cams so gains are most when not spraying and some what okay when sprayed?
Huh? Blower cams are for a car with a blower not nitrous. You either want NA cams or nitrous cams. Na cams respond to nitrous well too.

2004 DSG Mustang Mach 1 4r75w - 508/436 on E85. 460/396 on 93. Intercooled Vortech V1 S trim, Circle D 4c converter, BCA valve body, VRS o/r x pipe. 11.37 @ 120.8 mph 1.63 60'
post #13 of 23 Old August 16th, 2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchRedMach View Post
Yes cams are worth it and if your gonna get them get them from Todd Warren. You can find him on facebook at NaSVT. He specs them for you. You can get a set and not have to change springs. My last 2 Machs had cams from todd and I didnt have to change springs and they made good power. I think I got 45 hp through an automatic after the tune and it sounded great Here is a video

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3lvoylqpnq...81%29.mov?dl=0
Sounds good! But if you're not installing yourself you're almost at used blower pricing. Very expensive if someone is just looking for sound like the OP mentioned. Couple hundred bucks away from gaining 200rwhp vs 45rwhp.

post #14 of 23 Old August 16th, 2018, 06:56 PM
Tuning Junkie

Garage
my experience with other cars is yes the camshaft and spring upgrade is worth it. FRPP cams brought new life to fox mustangs i've worked on. I'm in the middle of installing stage 2 cams/springs in my 00 right now. Ive always done my own work so i'm not sure what a shop would cost. Look up how many hours a shop manual says that job will take and use that at another garages labor rate to get a rough idea on the total; remember that is labor only. It is more difficult of a job than I planned for but i think its due a lot to this being my 1st time with modular engine internals.

Match your camshaft choice with your supporting parts and you will enjoy your modified car much more and pay extra for a good shop with an even better reputation to do the install, you will thank yourself later. My .02

Definitely worth it though IMO
post #15 of 23 Old August 16th, 2018, 08:04 PM
Regular

Garage
I said blower cam because at AM blower cam is for both nitrous and blower. They do not recommend NA cam for nitrous motors. But if NA cam respond nice to nitrous, I rather get a NA cam because they will give more power for buck on regular driving off nitrous.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/musta...er-stagei.html
post #16 of 23 Old August 17th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Regular

I was quoted $90 per hour and they were not sure how long it would take.
post #17 of 23 Old August 17th, 2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
I was quoted $90 per hour and they were not sure how long it would take.
Definitely don't go to them.

post #18 of 23 Old August 17th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
I work at an independent repair shop, and that's our going rate for labor also. I have heard of other shops charging up to $120/hr

3.8L Lincoln Locked MustangClutch burned
Now daily driving my 3.8L Auto Mustang
post #19 of 23 Old August 17th, 2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrvince View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
I work at an independent repair shop, and that's our going rate for labor also. I have heard of other shops charging up to $120/hr
That's not my point. The point is that the place told him they don't know how long it will take. What that means to me is that they haven't done many, if any, cam swaps on a mod motor.
bodyshot likes this.

post #20 of 23 Old August 18th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmansracerocket View Post
Along with the cams u will need to upgrade your valve springs to get a cam worth doing. The cams are worth the sound if u ask me and cushman motorsports stage 2 n/a cams are the ones u want. If staying n/a.
Not true. My comp stage 1 262's and stock valve springs were well worth it. From years ago.

https://youtu.be/-eFK73jP7Xw

https://youtu.be/1_EfBQ4Tyjc

Mmr900 4.75 striker. Stock heads, CMS stage 2 turbo cams, on3 67mm ball bwaring billet wheel turbo kit @12.7 psi
539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page