Run A VCT Deleted Coyote With A Tuned New Edge PCM??? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old September 17th, 2018, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Run A VCT Deleted Coyote With A Tuned New Edge PCM???

As the title states, I'd like to know if it's possible to delete the phasers/VCTs, and run a Coyote engine on an appropriately tuned New Edge PCM? I saw today that MMR makes VCT lockouts and the thought came to my mind that this would be a great option for a Coyote swap on a budget. In theory, all you'd need is to modify your stock harness, locate sensors, and source the usual components to complete the swap. Thoughts?

2001 Laser Red Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old September 18th, 2018, 09:09 AM
King Trashmouth

People run 3V engines with VVT lockouts on their stock PCM, so that aspect is possible. Most of the other sensors you can adapt or install on the Coyote. The hard ones are going to be the crank and cam sensors. They will have to be the same type and use the same tone rings as the 4.6. If not you would have to adapt them somehow.
post #3 of 4 Old September 18th, 2018, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Regular

What do you think about the firing order? Seems like that'd put the brakes on the whole thing. As far as the cam and crank sensors, I'd be able to use the stock 5.0 reluctor wheels, stock 5.0 crank sensor, and one 5.0 camshaft position sensor(pick one, doesn't matter which one, 2 intake, 2 exhaust) since the 4.6 PCM only requires one signal.

2001 Laser Red Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old September 19th, 2018, 01:30 PM
King Trashmouth

You could get around that by essentially changing where the injector and coil wires go. Since it's not batch fire or waste spark, all it does is fire 8 cylinders in a certain order. It doesn't care what number that actual cylinder is, it's just going to fire it next.

It does look like the Coyote uses the same number of teeth for a crank gear as the 4.6. I don't know if the alignment is exactly the same, but even if it isn't, you could tune around that. I couldn't find any good information about the cam gears or how their cam sensors are set up. Even then, the engine can run without one. It will just take longer to start until it figures out the cam/crank sync.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page