I hate my STR.Ts...go Bilsteins!

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Cammed / Geared / 440wh 400wt

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old November 22nd, 2018, 12:46 PM

OP keep in mind you should run Fox body shocks and struts if you want to go lower than 1.5" or so. They wont be as compressed as the 99-04 units, plus is the Fox ones are usually more affordable.
GBPackerFan likes this.
post #23 of 37 Old November 22nd, 2018, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
I had prokit springs with srt.t struts/shocks and found the ride pretty harsh. I switched my suspension setup around to accommodate for a torque arm - coil overs up front and torque arm springs out back - with single adjustable koni yellows and the ride is so much better than before. I would highly recommend the koni yellows for a lowered car. Not to mention you can adjust the firmness of the ride to your liking. Prokit springs and koni yellows would be a really solid setup that would put you right at an 1.5” drop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 Old November 26th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
Ah damn it - I was going to go with the STR.T's. Now I'm reconsidering.

Aren't you supposed to match the spring rate to the type of strut/shock you get? I don't mind dropping the coin on the Bilsteins but google searches yeilded a lot of guys liking the STR.T's with steeda sport springs.

With my current shocks and struts (Monroe Sensatracs) which I have because I installed during stock height the ride is pretty harsh - ess hitting bumps at high speed.
I'm sure the STR.Ts are great with the right springs, but Bilsteins are on another level. They are much firmer but not harsh at all. This link lists recommends springs for the HDs - https://www.maximummotorsports.com/1...1382-P773.aspx. I personally have the HDs with the H&R Race springs and I do not regret the setup at all. It's low but not so low I scrape on speed bumps and curbs when parking. I took the car out last summer on a cruise on some back roads and was aggressive and it was the most fun I have ever had driving the car.

The ultimate daily driver project

post #25 of 37 Old November 26th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to finally03gt
Back when I did mine, I went with the Eibach Pro and some SR caster plates. If I recall, the springs are progressive, so some give at the top, then get stiffer. I was pleased with if for daily driving...

'03 GT Auto-BBK CAI,FRPP 3.73 Gears,SCT 4-bank chip, Cobra Calipers, 13" dimpled/slotted rotors & SS front lines, BC Racing Coil Overs, BMR Single Adj. RLC, Prothane bushing kit,18x9/18x10.5 ESR R08 Wheels
post #26 of 37 Old November 27th, 2018, 07:34 AM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtS197 View Post
I can understand that but honestly you might as well at least get cc plates just in case. I bought my car lowered without plates and have put new tires on it without problems but that doesnt mean you wont. What if you take it to an alignment shop and they cant get it to spec? Youll be kicking yourself for not having them.
My car isn't lowered and after 200,000 miles it needed caster camber plates to get the alignment spot on. I'm also running Koni STR.Ts. I replaced my worn out shocks and struts with them. I have no problem with them. I think the ride is fine.
Chandler Hunt likes this.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #27 of 37 Old November 27th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by finally03gt View Post
Back when I did mine, I went with the Eibach Pro and some SR caster plates. If I recall, the springs are progressive, so some give at the top, then get stiffer. I was pleased with if for daily driving...

I am thinking of using those springs with Bilsteins struts. I am trying to minimize my headers scraping. How did yours do with scraping/bottoming out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #28 of 37 Old November 27th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Regular

It really depends what you want to do with the car. If you want a comfortable DD street car, drag racing once and awhile and don't plan on tracking or auto crossing then STR.Ts/Tokico/etc will be great. If you primarily want to track and auto cross but still want comfort for street then I'd look into Bilsein. If you want to do a lot of everything, Koni Yellows. The most important part is matching a spring to the strut. You could have the best struts and cheap springs or visa versa and the car will ride/drive horrible.

The ultimate daily driver project

post #29 of 37 Old November 27th, 2018, 01:04 PM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexdiman View Post
It really depends what you want to do with the car. If you want a comfortable DD street car, drag racing once and awhile and don't plan on tracking or auto crossing then STR.Ts/Tokico/etc will be great. If you primarily want to track and auto cross but still want comfort for street then I'd look into Bilsein. If you want to do a lot of everything, Koni Yellows. The most important part is matching a spring to the strut. You could have the best struts and cheap springs or visa versa and the car will ride/drive horrible.
See this is what I read too. You have to match the shock and strut to your spring. I'm thinking of calling steeda because in all honestly I don't know what matches well with their sports. Guys with 05 to 09s run steeda sports with the str.t and love them but I don't know in a new edge.

Right now the ride isn't horrible but it's border line tolerable. I run Monroe sensatracs with less then 4k miles on them. It was fantastic at stock height but just a 1.5 drop and I almost feel like those Hondas going down the road that are dropped when I hit a pot hole or bump. On the highway if there is an imperfection on the road and I'm going 70 i almost have yo brace for impact as I know it's going to be a jarring hit.

I don't run low pros or anything. 17" on nitto 555s so I know it's my shocks and struts

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
post #30 of 37 Old November 27th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEdgeGT2002 View Post
What set of springs do you guys recommend that would lower it enough to eliminate some of the gap but safe enough where I wouldnt need caster/camber plates or bump steers?

2002 GT hard top

Thanks,
Where are you located? If in San Francisco-Bay Area-Northern California I have Eibach Prokit that I can part with for cheap. Bought them new and swapped them out for stiffer springs after 20k miles.

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
post #31 of 37 Old November 28th, 2018, 08:11 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler Hunt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by finally03gt View Post

I am thinking of using those springs with Bilsteins struts. I am trying to minimize my headers scraping. How did yours do with scraping/bottoming out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I did the eibach pro-kit with the springs and shocks. I never bottomed on anything ride quality was pretty comfortable and handling was much improved. Not to mention better looks with the drop.

'03 GT Auto-BBK CAI,FRPP 3.73 Gears,SCT 4-bank chip, Cobra Calipers, 13" dimpled/slotted rotors & SS front lines, BC Racing Coil Overs, BMR Single Adj. RLC, Prothane bushing kit,18x9/18x10.5 ESR R08 Wheels
post #32 of 37 Old November 28th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Regular

I will say I'm a fairly conservative personality, and it was my daily driver. But I thought the eibach pro-kit with dampeners was a good blend for everything I was trying to accomplish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140917_140933_1543410828352.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	203291  

post #33 of 37 Old November 28th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I finally got rid of my C Springs...they were way too stiff for my liking. I just bought BMR springs. I'm hoping they are in between the C Springs and the stockers based on their drops and spring rates.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Cammed / Geared / 440wh 400wt

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
post #34 of 37 Old November 28th, 2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser27 View Post
Where are you located? If in San Francisco-Bay Area-Northern California I have Eibach Prokit that I can part with for cheap. Bought them new and swapped them out for stiffer springs after 20k miles.
That requires caster/camber plates and bump steer kit, dont it?
post #35 of 37 Old November 28th, 2018, 08:50 PM
Regular

Quote:
I used the CC plates with mine, so can't say if you can do without. I was all good with now bump steer. It's only about 1.5" I think, so not extreme. My front LCA's were pretty level and not far from parallel with my tie rods

post #36 of 37 Old December 1st, 2018, 01:26 PM
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Nope, they are nice to have but not required. What is required is swapping the OEM pinion snubber for a shorter one.

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
post #37 of 37 Old December 1st, 2018, 03:35 PM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser27 View Post
Nope, they are nice to have but not required. What is required is swapping the OEM pinion snubber for a shorter one.
Wait what lol I didn't do this and I'm dropped 1.5inches

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page