Gt dud - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old February 2nd, 2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Gt dud

Hello, have a rebuilt engine in my 2000 gt. The car sat for over a year so I put in a new engine, a new fuel tank from the bad gas sludge and a new fuel pump. The car ran like a pony should until after about a 30 min drive it would shut down and leave me stranded. After about 30 min cool down the car would fire up and off I go until the pumps over heated again. Since the fuel pump was after markets I bought from rock auto. I pulled it and got a replacement and again left me stranded after about 30 min of driving. When I drove the car it didn't lack any power.

I then got a Ford motor sports fuel pump from rock auto. Now the car will run all day long. I can rev it as high as I want. But when I try to drive it, it bogs down like I hit a brick wall and jerks badly. I can't go 5mph in it now.

I've checked for air leaks. I've changed coils, fuel injectors, maf sensor, fuel pump driver module, fuel tanks, purge valves, EGR valve, 2 computers programed by the dealership And still won't drive.

I hooked up my data logger a few yrs back and it shows that when I mash the gas to the floor, my air goes up and my fuel shuts down. When I released the pedal, my air drops to normal and fuel pressure comes back up.

This is a beautiful gt that's been sitting for about 5 yrs. I need to fix it or crush it. Any suggestions on where to look for a solution or any recommendations on a mustang shop in Ga that can fix it? I leaning towards fuel issues because the aftermarket pumps ran the car until the pumps got hot without power loss or issue. Where as the Ford pump never shuts off but stallsnthe car under throttle.

Ol gold mare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old February 2nd, 2019, 09:41 PM
King Trashmouth

Have you changed the fuel filter with all that? That would be my first move.

Then if you know your pressure is dropping, I'd work from there. See what your FPDC is, if it's being commanded to max and just isn't making it there.
post #3 of 10 Old February 4th, 2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Regular

I changed fuel filter first when I installed the new pump and tank. According to data logger fuel pressure drops when it should go up. Air intake pressure goes up and down as it should

Ol gold mare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old February 4th, 2019, 08:35 PM

sounds like you have a restriction is your fuel filter on backwards? PPRV functioning properly

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #5 of 10 Old February 5th, 2019, 09:06 AM
Regular

It definitely sounds like you have some blockage going on in your fuel system.
post #6 of 10 Old February 6th, 2019, 12:18 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
Data Logger? I don't have one and I could be wrong but... Don't they measure fuel pressure at the face of the injector? If so it should read a constant 40 psi.

I have a manual gauge that reads pressure at the fuel rails. That thing jumps all over the place. I thought something was seriously wrong once and took the car to Ford. It cost me $300 for them to tell me nothing was wrong. Joe at Tricktuners then explained the difference.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #7 of 10 Old February 6th, 2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Regular

The fuel filters not on backwards. I'm wondering if the car sitting so long could the fuel line have tar built up in it like the fuel tanks do when they sit a long time. I figured it didn't because it ran with lots of power with the aftermarket pumps. But the aftermarkets did vapor lock. I don't know. This car has all new everything and has sat now almost 5 yrs.

Ol gold mare
post #8 of 10 Old February 13th, 2019, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Hawaiianbro
This is what My fuel pressure reads with a warmed up engine with the key in accessory mode. Not started yet.
This is at idle with a warmed up engine.

Top is fuel pressure / Middle Oil Pressure / Bottom A/F wideband

Hope that helps.

Sounds like if you had gas sludge in the tank you may have it in your fuel lines. Do you have a spot on your fuel rail you can connect a pressure gauge too? If you put the car in acc mode the pump should pressurize the fuel rails. Mine will sit around 28 if I didnt start it for a long while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2000 mustang gt triple pod gauges1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	203469   Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang gt gauges.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	203471  
post #9 of 10 Old March 7th, 2019, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

If you have an air compressor, un hook the supply line at the filter outlet, and in hook it at the fuel rail inlet, blow air through it. Will be easy to tell if there is a restriction. Also double check that you connected all the hoses for the evap vent stuff when you re-assembled after fuel pump changed, evap leak CAN = vacuum leak which based on what you describe (dying when applying load) that may be the issue. ALSO, unplug the MAF and see if the car will run, it should go into an OPEN loop and be somewhat drivable if there is a MAF or air handling issue.

|4.10's|4200 Circle D Stall Converter|CMS Stage I cams|75 tb/Eddy Vic Jr/6061 Plenum|Long Tube Headers|SLP cat back|93 octane tune|SFI U/D's| Team Z k-member/ctrl arms| Coilovers|Strange shocks|Mild Weight Redux
post #10 of 10 Old March 16th, 2019, 01:28 PM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Any updates?

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page