Steering Rag Joint Help - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old March 31st, 2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Steering Rag Joint Help

I was hoping someone could provide a little advice. I just installed long tubes on my car.

I put in new mounts and bolted up the k-member. For the life of me I can't get the rag joint to go back on the shaft.

I know it's keyed ... I assume the notch goes where the bolt threads through. I locked the column before I started, but the shaft must have rotated slightly.

Anyway, I unlocked the column and rotated it 360 degrees and I couldn't get it to go over the shaft.

Getting in there with a hammer is going to be next to impossible, especially with the header in place.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old March 31st, 2019, 11:43 PM
Regular

I had the same problem with my long tubes, I ended up buying offset steering rack bushings and notching the headers a tiny bit with a hammer.

2003 Mustang GT
K&N Cold Air/BBK 78mm Throttle intake/BBK long tubes/BBK cat less X-pipe/Flowmaster 40s
post #3 of 5 Old April 1st, 2019, 08:02 AM
Rory Bellows

First, clear off the splined part as much as you can. That can make life a lot more difficult than it has to be. A little lube also helps it slide on. You're right that it's keyed with the notch corresponding with the bolt hole. Leave the steering wheel unlocked so you can wiggle it. That should be able to work it on.

Second, if all else fails it's really easy to remove the whole midshaft. There's another pinch bolt underneath the dash, and it collapses. Disengage it from the column, get it lined up and installed on the rack, and then reinstall the midshaft in the column. That one is really easy since it's a square tube with a pinch bolt. Sometimes the shaft doesn't give you quite the alignment you want or need with the rag joint so it's tough to force on. Easier to mount it to the rack first where you can angle it any which way you want, and then get it to meet up with the column.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old April 1st, 2019, 11:54 AM
Regular

I bought a new steering shaft and I had a similar issue and I don't have longtube headers. WickedSnake nailed it if you're having issues assembling it, but if the rag joint and headers are just not working out then you are going to have to notch the headers or buy a steering rack without a rag joint.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/S...tang-P460.aspx

The ultimate daily driver project

post #5 of 5 Old April 1st, 2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much guys. I think I'll try the column approach first, then see what kind on clearance I have.

Currently I think the clearance is good (about 1/4 inch to the primary), and I'm on the shaft; It's that last 1/2 inch where everything mates together that's giving me fits.

Once everything mates up if I don't have good clearance I'll bust out a c-clamp and dent the primary. Thanks again for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page