Cobra seats vs s197/s550 seats - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old April 16th, 2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Cobra seats vs s197/s550 seats

I have the standard GT seats in my car and I'm looking to upgrade. I have done a lot to the handling and ride of the car and realize my seats just aren't adequate anymore. I am leaning more towards adapting s197 or s550 seats than racing seats (cheaper) so this is geared towards those who have sat in Cobra/March 1 seats and either s197 or s550 seats. Which one's do you like more in regards to comfort and bolster?

I really like the Cobra seats but I don't like how in their most upright position (like any sn95 seat) are still leaning back, and the lack of headrest. I have heard the s197/s550 seats are much more comfortable but what about the bolster?

Thoughts?

The ultimate daily driver project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old April 28th, 2019, 04:54 AM
Regular

I saw a guy on YT who got some base s550 seats in a fox body so they should fit fine in a new edge (with drilling to adapt seat brackets). The downside is weight. The drivers seat is close to 50 pounds vs a racing seat like recaro, Sparco, corbeau, which are 20-30 pounds each.

'01 Mustang GT 5M
Drivetrain:
Steeda,Dragon,Accufab,SLP LMII,Magna X,Triax,3.73,PBR/Stoptech/Porterfield,Alum DS
Suspension:MM C/O F 350#,Griggs SFC,MM LCAs,FRPP UCA,MM PHB,Mach1 STB,Prothane SB Bushing,18X9 03 Cobra
post #3 of 18 Old April 28th, 2019, 11:32 AM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
After 210,000 miles my driver's side front seat is pretty much worn out. I book-marked this page a long time ago but did nothing with it. You keep your seat frame but put on new foam and seat cover. You can have Cobra, Mach 1, and other seats using your stock seat frame. I don't know if its something you might want but it might give you another option.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/catalog/...t_type=616&p=1

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old April 28th, 2019, 07:43 PM
MM Fanatic

I love the seats in my 17 gtpp. They have nice bolsters that actually hold me in and unlike the shitty seats in my 07 gt, the headrest is at the correct angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #5 of 18 Old May 10th, 2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
After 210,000 miles my driver's side front seat is pretty much worn out. I book-marked this page a long time ago but did nothing with it. You keep your seat frame but put on new foam and seat cover. You can have Cobra, Mach 1, and other seats using your stock seat frame. I don't know if its something you might want but it might give you another option.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/catalog/...t_type=616&p=1
I was actually planning that route. I had bought a set of the larger 4 way adjustable headrests and I was gearing up to buy the foam and upholstery, but I did the math and the conversion was going to be around $1k to do both seats. I was thinking at that price point I might as well buy real Cobra seats, and if I decide to sell them I can at least make my money back, where as the "fake" Cobra seats I can't do that.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

After some time of searching I ended up settling on a set of Corbeau Trailcats.

I really wanted s550 seats and they were pretty easy to find on Ebay for $600 and under but freight was killer and averaged about $500. I tried to save money and used my original electric track with the Corbeau's but it didn't really work for me. I'm a tall guy at 6' 3" and my head touched the headliner so I ended up buying the Corbeau seat track and that lowered the seat quite a bit. If you're more average height, then the OEM seat track would work fine. I also purchased the extension track that moves the seat back 4" for more leg room.

Overall I am very satisfied with the seats. The bolsters hold me in well and the seats are comfortable and help with the stiffer suspension. The car was already pretty comfortable with the stiffer suspension, not harsh but certainly noticeable. Now it's on another level. The seat absorbs more of the bumps but still leaves me feeling connected to the road. I feel like it's a good compromise between a racing seat and a stock seat. It doesn't have thigh bolsters so it's easier to get in and out and I don't risk destroying that area as quickly. Plus, the wife has given her stamp of approval.

The first weekend I got everything installed with the Corbeau track, my wife and I spent a day driving to small towns around the state and that was the first time I felt like the car earned its GT badge. Cruising around those small two lane highways with cruise control set to 60 ish the car just felt so good and smooth. It was just effortless driving.

post #6 of 18 Old May 20th, 2019, 02:43 PM
Regular

Dexdiman, I really like those seats! Nice choice!

Do you have any more pics of the seats?

How is the clearance between the seat and the centre console?

About how much lower do you think you sit compared to stock seats/brackets?

Thanks!

'02 GT

Black - 5 Speed

Accufab 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC catted Prochamber, Flowmaster 40 weld-ins, Magnaflow 3.5" tips, H&R SS springs, Steeda CC plates, Tokico Blues, '03 Cobra Brakes, MACH 1 grill delete, 18" staggered Saleens, SCT Tuning
post #7 of 18 Old May 21st, 2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULMEOVR View Post
Dexdiman, I really like those seats! Nice choice!

Do you have any more pics of the seats?

How is the clearance between the seat and the centre console?

About how much lower do you think you sit compared to stock seats/brackets?

Thanks!
Thanks! The clearance is really good and I think they fit a little better than the stock seats, as there is about a 3/8" gap between the seat and center console. If you do end up getting the Corbeau track the mounting bracket holes allow for adjusting so you can get it centered properly.

I would say the seat sits about 3/4" lower than the stock seat.

I am currently looking to modify the bracket though. I personally like a more upright driving position and I've already added 1/2" spacers to the rear to try and have the seat more vertical but it's not enough. So I am planning to cut a weld the front of the bracket to lower the front of the seat. For people who liked the stock "lean back" position or like the more reclined seat then this won't be necessary as the Corbeau track is virtually the same position as the stock seat just lower.

I have a closeup of the stitching and texture, but what other pictures would you want? I don't mind taking pictures for clearance or mounting curiosities.

post #8 of 18 Old May 21st, 2019, 07:36 PM
Regular

They sound great. I also like the upright “more vertical” driving position as well. I feel the same as you, that the stock seats don’t provide much head support and if you put your head against the headrest, that you’re almost looking up at the sky (only a slight exaggeration).

What do you mean by the more leaned back feel of the seats? Is it that the seat back doesn’t go upright enough, or that the lower seat portion is too angled and not flat? Or both? Is there any head support, for example, could you put your head against the headrest and still drive comfortably?

If you have some clearance pictures, specifically by the centre console, that would be great. Or really any other pictures. I’m kind of a whore that way.

Also I’m assuming that you must buy the Corbeau brackets as well? I’d like to keep my factory power seat, but realize that’s probably not an option here.

Thanks, man!

'02 GT

Black - 5 Speed

Accufab 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC catted Prochamber, Flowmaster 40 weld-ins, Magnaflow 3.5" tips, H&R SS springs, Steeda CC plates, Tokico Blues, '03 Cobra Brakes, MACH 1 grill delete, 18" staggered Saleens, SCT Tuning
post #9 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Regular

It's not the seats that are the problem but the car. The seats on the ground felt really good and upright, and the head rest was well placed and right behind my head. Then I mounted the seats into the car and the seat is really leaned back while the seat back is fully upright. I was hoping the Corbeau track would help with that but the seat sits very much like stock in the sense that the seat is pretty far leaned back. Again not an issue with the seats, but the way the car mounts the seat. Even the stock seats felt really good and upright on the ground.

You can use the stock electric track. You'll just need to buy some metal to adapt the bolt pattern of the stock seat bracket to the bolt pattern of the Corbeau. I originally bought a piece of metal about 5' by 2 1/4" and hardware from Home Depot and mounted the seat into the car without a fitment issue, but my head touched the headliner and the seating position was a little high for me. I couldn't see traffic lights anymore unless I hunched down. Lol. This wouldn't be a problem with an average height person. So, in the end, I bought the Corbeau track.

My plan is to cut a little vertical piece from where the front of the track mounts to the car and re-weld the mounting bracket to the track in a different position to lower the front of the seat. I drew up a quick little picture for reference. Again this is all personal driver position preference and not necessary by any means.

I'll upload some pictures tonight after work.

post #10 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2019, 10:09 PM
Regular

Alright, I think I need to find a local shop that sells these seats so I can sit in them and see how they feel. Then, judge how they would feel mounted in either a custom bracket, or on the Corbeau bracket.

I have a feeling my sitting position might be better, since I'm much shorter than you (5' 6").

Looking forward to the pics!

Thanks man!

'02 GT

Black - 5 Speed

post #11 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Front mounting:

Door clearance:

Center console clearance:

Rear mounting:

post #12 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2019, 02:21 PM
Regular

Looks like a well fitting street seat. My Corbeau TRS rub on the doors a bit.

'01 Mustang GT 5M
Drivetrain:
Steeda,Dragon,Accufab,SLP LMII,Magna X,Triax,3.73,PBR/Stoptech/Porterfield,Alum DS
Suspension:MM C/O F 350#,Griggs SFC,MM LCAs,FRPP UCA,MM PHB,Mach1 STB,Prothane SB Bushing,18X9 03 Cobra
post #13 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2019, 11:12 PM
Regular

Wow, it’s like those seats were built to fit these cars!

Thanks for the pics! I’ll be ordering a set eventually, to replace my stock cloth seats.

Let me know how it goes, if you end up modifying those brackets to lower the seat angle.

'02 GT

Black - 5 Speed

post #14 of 18 Old May 24th, 2019, 08:54 AM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Dexi that looks awesome! I went with cloth with suede inserts seats from cipher auto. Got their seat tracks too. I lost electric functionality but I got them on a sale and they feel great. I also don't slide around at all like I did in my stock seats.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
post #15 of 18 Old May 24th, 2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_GT View Post
Looks like a well fitting street seat. My Corbeau TRS rub on the doors a bit.
Yeah I was a little worried because they can fit up to a 40" waist while most other seats are meant for 38" waist. TRS's are more of a race seat while these are more stockish, and now that I think about that it makes sense. A seat with a more aggressive bolster has the tendency to be a wider seat overall even with a smaller waist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULMEOVR View Post
Wow, itís like those seats were built to fit these cars!

Thanks for the pics! Iíll be ordering a set eventually, to replace my stock cloth seats.

Let me know how it goes, if you end up modifying those brackets to lower the seat angle.
I'm hoping to in the next 2-3 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
Dexi that looks awesome! I went with cloth with suede inserts seats from cipher auto. Got their seat tracks too. I lost electric functionality but I got them on a sale and they feel great. I also don't slide around at all like I did in my stock seats.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk
My seat selection was a little limited. I didn't want a racing seat, but something that still had good support. Plus I have a 40" waist and most seats max out at 38". So that significantly limited my choices as well.

post #16 of 18 Old May 25th, 2019, 06:56 AM

love those seats! nice job!
post #17 of 18 Old July 29th, 2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Regular

I finally had the time to get the seat bracket cut and welded, and I also welded the seat extension directly to the seat bracket eliminating the 1/8th inch ish gap between the seat bracket and extension. I added a 3/8th inch spacer to the rear of the seat between the bracket and the floor as well.

I personally think it's a much better seating position for me. This raised the back of the seat more vertical (not as much as I really wanted but close) and allows me to slide the seat back farther for more leg room while still being able to reach everything comfortably.

This isn't really necessary for an average height person but I would recommend this for taller, space challenge individuals like myself. I'll upload some pictures when I can.

post #18 of 18 Old July 30th, 2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Regular

I basically did what I diagrammed earlier. I just cut out the little 3/4" step up from the front of the bracket, and welded the mount parallel with the bracket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page