Catalytic Converter options - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By SSG Pate
  • 1 Post By TheOdessa
  • 1 Post By Snorky

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old April 21st, 2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Catalytic Converter options

I have an mostly stock 03 GT and my cats are bad. What's the best route to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old April 21st, 2019, 11:35 PM

You have emissions in your State? if not delete them. If you have to keep them try to find you some CATS from someone who deleted them so you get a good OEM product.
CYAL8R likes this.

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #3 of 10 Old April 22nd, 2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG Pate View Post
You have emissions in your State? if not delete them. If you have to keep them try to find you some CATS from someone who deleted them so you get a good OEM product.
Thank you for the response.

I'm in the ATL Metro area, so yes I still need them. I honestly was a bit leery of getting them second hand because my experience with all F-L-M is that the cats go out quickly along with that damned air suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old April 23rd, 2019, 06:16 AM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYAL8R View Post

I'm in the ATL Metro area, so yes I still need them. I honestly was a bit leery of getting them second hand because my experience with all F-L-M is that the cats go out quickly along with that damned air suspension.
I have BBK long tubes, bbk off road H pipe and borla stingers. I ended up welding in 2.5" magnaflow cats part number 59956. They are a high flow 200 cell count stainless steel cat with a metallic core. They claim to be 49 state legal.

I went this route as I wanted a robust cat (metallic core) that is freeflowing as possible while being affordable (200 cell) and robust enough to handle boost down the road. No more exhaust fumes. The tail pipes don't get as dirty and it killed the trumpeting the stingers made. All while only killing sound levels maybe 10 percent. Plus it's from a reputable company. No issues here and happy as can be with them.

If you're just utilizing your stock mid I'd get the stock cats cut out and 2 of these magnaflows welded in. Stock piping is 2.25".

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk
CYAL8R likes this.

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
post #5 of 10 Old April 25th, 2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
I have BBK long tubes, bbk off road H pipe and borla stingers. I ended up welding in 2.5" magnaflow cats part number 59956. They are a high flow 200 cell count stainless steel cat with a metallic core. They claim to be 49 state legal.

I went this route as I wanted a robust cat (metallic core) that is freeflowing as possible while being affordable (200 cell) and robust enough to handle boost down the road. No more exhaust fumes. The tail pipes don't get as dirty and it killed the trumpeting the stingers made. All while only killing sound levels maybe 10 percent. Plus it's from a reputable company. No issues here and happy as can be with them.

If you're just utilizing your stock mid I'd get the stock cats cut out and 2 of these magnaflows welded in. Stock piping is 2.25".

Excuse my ignorance but are you saying cut the stock ones off (4) and weld back in the(2) magnaflows?
post #6 of 10 Old April 25th, 2019, 09:45 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

Excuse my ignorance but are you saying cut the stock ones off (4) and weld back in the(2) magnaflows?
The main cats are the rear, the fronts are precats.
CYAL8R likes this.

Mmr900 4.75 striker. Stock heads, CMS stage 2 turbo cams, on3 67mm ball bwaring billet wheel turbo kit @12.7 psi
539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

post #7 of 10 Old May 4th, 2019, 12:22 PM
Regular

If it’s legal in your state, you might as well get an aftermarket catted x pipe and enjoy a power gain going from 2.25” to 2.5” pipes. I’ve had a magnaflow catted x since 2003 and still pass smog without issue.

'01 Mustang GT 5M
Drivetrain:
Steeda,Dragon,Accufab,SLP LMII,Magna X,Triax,3.73,PBR/Stoptech/Porterfield,Alum DS
Suspension:MM C/O F 350#,Griggs SFC,MM LCAs,FRPP UCA,MM PHB,Mach1 STB,Prothane SB Bushing,18X9 03 Cobra
post #8 of 10 Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:

Hey man, ya gotta picture of that? I have longtubes and I don't think I have the real estate to put highflow cats on. Mainly just wanna get rid of smell.

|4.10's|CMS Stage I cams|70 tb/plenum|HedMan Long tube Headers|SLP Power Flow cat back|93 octane tune|SFI U/D's| Team Z k-member/control arms| Strange coilovers|strange adjustable shocks|qa1 Caster camber plates| Weight Redux|Stall Coming soon
post #9 of 10 Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
Quote:

I have BBK long tubes with a BBK high flow x-pipe. It had Flowmaster mufflers. Flowmasters drone. The drone was loudest between 1800-2200 rpm (cruising speed). I finally got to a point where I couldn't stand it. I had the Flowmaster mufflers cut out and Magnaflows welded in. Sounds great.

The only problem I have is an occasional check engine light and a slow to heat failure. That is because the sensors have been moved farther back.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 08:17 AM
Regular

Here are some options for you. Got an email that they are running 10% off for Memorial Day.

https://www.jegs.com/c/Exhaust-Syste...0002&langId=-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page