Logan motorsports 3V swap - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old April 22nd, 2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Logan motorsports 3V swap

Has anyone heard or had contact with Logan Motorsports?

I am looking at swapping my 98' GT from my current 2V to a 2010 3V. I have the complete car and can take whatever I need/want from the car. I just know there are a few brackets that I will need such as a different throttle cable and bracket, exhaust header adapter, and some other items.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old April 22nd, 2019, 08:57 PM
MM Fanatic

No clue but Id skip the swap if youre not going to use the frpp control pack. Vct helps with power production. With the vct locked out youll give up power. At that point you might have well just swapped in a 4v that makes similar power but is a lot easier to swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #3 of 18 Old April 23rd, 2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtS197 View Post
No clue but Id skip the swap if youre not going to use the frpp control pack. Vct helps with power production. With the vct locked out youll give up power. At that point you might have well just swapped in a 4v that makes similar power but is a lot easier to swap.

I plan on taking everything out of the 2010. Engine, Trans, ECU, Wire harness, dash, everything and put it in my 98'. I know it will require a lot of custom work, which I am fine with doing.

From what I have read most people actually lock the cams and it is a aftermarket upgrade. Not sure why they make aftermarket cam phaser lockouts if you say it reduces power.

---------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

Quote:

In addition, the 3V is lighter then the 4V, will help cornering since I go to the track with the car. Also quite a bit less $$$ than what a 4V or even a coyote swap would be. I have an opportunity to switch to a engine with 100HP more over stock. I have seen there were many people who did it back in 2009-2013 with great results.

98 GT, manual, Steeda short throw, long tube headers, H-pipe, CAI, 70mm throttle body, 4.10 rear gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old April 23rd, 2019, 11:23 AM
MM Fanatic

The logan motorsports package isnt what you want then anyway since it was meant for someone to keep the 2v ecu. If youre swapping the engine, ecu, etc. you wouldnt need it. Really the only part you’d need are 2v to 3v exhaust adaptors or weld 3v flanges on 2v headers.

And a 4v swap is much easier but I wont get into that. A coyote would be tough yes but at least there are swap headers readily availible.

Cam phaser lockouts are for someone who wants to run a big cam. With a big cam the ecu can adjust the cam timing too much causing the valves to make contact with the piston.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #5 of 18 Old April 23rd, 2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust

Quote:
The logan motorsports package isnt what you want then anyway since it was meant for someone to keep the 2v ecu. If youre swapping the engine, ecu, etc. you wouldnt need it. Really the only part you’d need are 2v to 3v exhaust adaptors or weld 3v flanges on 2v headers.

And a 4v swap is much easier but I wont get into that. A coyote would be tough yes but at least there are swap headers readily availible.

Cam phaser lockouts are for someone who wants to run a big cam. With a big cam the ecu can adjust the cam timing too much causing the valves to make contact with the piston.

The exhaust adapters were the main reason I was trying to get a hold of them or see if there were any more around for the ease of swapping. That is the only item that would potentially hang me up. I may end up cutting off my flanges now on my current long tubes and make a new flange that adapts to the 3V.

Great information on the Cam phaser. I have seen these mentioned, but was really never told what they were specifically used for. I saw they would be best with aftermarket cams or if you used the 2V computer to lock it in full retard or full advance position.

The 4V would maybe be easier, but for the time I do not have a 4V sitting at my feet. I've seen many people say the 4V as one of the easiest and best swap for these cars. But, as stated, I have a complete 3V car ready to do whatever I want. Plus my current engine is upwards of 180K miles.

I am really wanting to do something that is custom to the car. Taking a complete engine/trans, ECU, and what I can fit or make work in my car would be something that you do not see everywhere. I would also have the electronic fuel pedal assembly as well. I've read up on this and if I keep my current cable I would need to switch it to a cobra cable with a aftermarket throttle body that was the cable attachment on the side.

98 GT, manual, Steeda short throw, long tube headers, H-pipe, CAI, 70mm throttle body, 4.10 rear gears
post #6 of 18 Old April 23rd, 2019, 02:42 PM
MM Fanatic

I understand, I thought you wanted the kit so you could run the 2v ecu. Now those exhaust adaptors, Im not sure if theyre still made or not. I doubt it since 3v swaps are the thing of the past. Maybe you can get a set off ebay but I doubt it.

Also you have to use the electronic pedal or else the ecu will go into limp mode. And you’ll have to run a trans for 96-04 gts and the tr3650 from the s197 won’t work due to the semi-remote shifter design.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #7 of 18 Old April 23rd, 2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I understand, I thought you wanted the kit so you could run the 2v ecu. Now those exhaust adaptors, Im not sure if theyre still made or not. I doubt it since 3v swaps are the thing of the past. Maybe you can get a set off ebay but I doubt it.

Also you have to use the electronic pedal or else the ecu will go into limp mode. And you’ll have to run a trans for 96-04 gts and the tr3650 from the s197 won’t work due to the semi-remote shifter design.

I will more than likely just make my own adapters for the exhuast. I know a few shops that should have material for it.

For the trans. Why would I need to use a 96-04 GT trans? I plan on getting a different aluminum driveshaft since I am sure the length will change. My buddy has a 04 GT with a TR-3650 in it now. I have heard about the "semi-remote" shifter, but have not looked into that much as I was not sure which years had that.

post #8 of 18 Old April 23rd, 2019, 05:32 PM
MM Fanatic

Because the sn95/new edge chassis doesnt have the provision for the rear shifter bracket not to mention the shifter would be way further back. Not worth the hassle. Just use a 3650 or t56 from an 01-04 car and be done with it.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #9 of 18 Old July 26th, 2019, 06:07 AM

What’s your update on this? Always curious about other 3V swapped peeps.
post #10 of 18 Old August 27th, 2019, 06:42 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Pretty sure Logan went out of business about 5 years ago. They were local to me and have not heard a peep about them since about 2014.

2004 DSG Mustang Mach 1 4r75w - 508/436 on E85. 460/396 on 93. Intercooled Vortech V1 S trim, Circle D 4c converter, BCA valve body, VRS o/r x pipe. 11.37 @ 120.8 mph 1.63 60'
post #11 of 18 Old September 3rd, 2019, 11:54 AM
Regular

3V swappers unite!
I finally started my 3v swap this year. I worked hard on it from January until about June, then had to table it until this winter. I have my 3v in my car and have bolted up some accessories and pullies. Next for me is the intake, fuel, etc. I have an idea for how to adapt my 2v IAC so I'll get going on that next. I've found that the 3v power steering pump works better since the elbow at the base of the pump angles away from the frame rail under the battery tray. The 2V hose setup will rub this frame rail. Also you have to get creative for mounting the power steering fluid reservoir using the 2V pump bracket. The 3V pulley layout is different so there is no provision for the stock 2V reservoir bracket. There's a few other tricks needed but enough guys have done this before to use as a resource. I have 3v header flanges mated to a set of 2V BBK LT's, it works and fits nicely in the MM K-member. Also I'm using a cable-acutated TB from a 2003 Cobra, you'll need that if running the 2V ecu. You can adapt it to the stock 3V intake using an aluminum TB spacer from Steeda or whoever makes them.....just drill your own bolt pattern.

One big drawback to me is that the stock hood won't work anymore since the 3V intake sits up so high. Get a small cowl or some people say the 03-04 Cobra hood will work.
post #12 of 18 Old September 4th, 2019, 04:53 AM

There is a company that makes a remote IAC for us. I just forgot the name at the moment haha sorry that’s what I used to control the idle on mine. Not sure if you can see it in this pic or not. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7DDDA777-8050-4476-804B-5F7D989FC96B_1567587147298.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	203947  
post #13 of 18 Old September 5th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Regular

Thanks for that pic 3Vstang. Any chance you can send me some close-up pics under your hood? I'd love to see more about your IAC and your steering pump reservoir. I can PM you my email or phone number to text them. Please let me know.
post #14 of 18 Old September 5th, 2019, 01:56 PM
MM Fanatic

Im surprised people are still interested in this swap. I used to want to do it myself because I appreciate the 4.6 over the coyote fanboyism but imo its not worth it unless you run the control pack. But dont let that stop you thats just my opinion.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #15 of 18 Old September 7th, 2019, 02:54 PM

I got my 60k engine for about $1200 to replace my blowed 2V so it was a no brainer for me, lose 80lbs off the front and a 20-30rwhp bump. That was about 5 years ago. They are so cheap now it’s crazy.
post #16 of 18 Old September 8th, 2019, 08:28 PM
MM Fanatic

Hows the low end torque with the cam phasers locked?

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #17 of 18 Old September 9th, 2019, 07:42 PM

From what I remember if you lock them out the way they are you will lose around 10rwhp up top. If you “clock” the phaser and then lock them out you would lose the TQ. From what I remember. Don’t hold me to that ha.
post #18 of 18 Old September 10th, 2019, 10:12 PM
MM Fanatic

Its a shame that you cant use 2v timing gears and dial them in. As I recall its either fully retard or fully advanced. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page