Stock balancer with underdrive pulleys - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old May 7th, 2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Stock balancer with underdrive pulleys

I’ve recently put an oil pump on my car, I feel like the ghetto bbk piggy back style ups I have were the culprit. Especially since installing it again and I can see the pulley running out a little bit. I don’t have my stock pulleys anymore, would it be the end of the world to put my stock harmonic balancer back on and run it with the aftermarket water pump/alternator pulleys? I’m more concerned about the water pump pulley if anything at all. Will be ordering a steeda kit shortly.

2004 Mustang GT 40th Anniversary
Full Mac Exhaust (LT Headers, Pro Chamber, Catback)
BBK UDP's
FRPP 4.10 gears
Diablo Predator Tuner
MGW Short Throw Shifter
JLT CAI
Eibach Proline Springs lowered 1.5"
18" Saleen wheels, 305 Nitto Drag Radials
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 8th, 2019, 12:27 AM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
Will it fit? Underdrive is achieved by either making the crank/main (drive) pulley smaller or the accessory (driven) pulley larger than the original diameter pulleys or both. The set on my car when I bought it had a smaller crank pulley and a larger water pump pulley. When I had the supercharger installed I didn't want to spin it too slow reducing boost so I bought a stock crank pulley. It wouldn't fit. There is not a lot of clearance and the larger stock crank pulley hit the larger underdrive water pump pulley. Out of frustration I bought an electric water pump to replace the underdrive pulley.

The stock crank pulley might not fit without changing the water pump pulley.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #3 of 4 Old May 8th, 2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Regular

I ended up throwing on the stock balancer and keeping the bbk water pump pulley, it clears but barely. I had to take the water pump pulley off and wrap the belt around it then put it back on. Works fine now but have a stock pulley ordered.

2004 Mustang GT 40th Anniversary
Full Mac Exhaust (LT Headers, Pro Chamber, Catback)
BBK UDP's
FRPP 4.10 gears
Diablo Predator Tuner
MGW Short Throw Shifter
JLT CAI
Eibach Proline Springs lowered 1.5"
18" Saleen wheels, 305 Nitto Drag Radials
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old May 21st, 2019, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast

I can almost guarantee that's why it failed. You are lucky the front main isn't failed either. Those piggy back setups are bad. I bought one, installed it, and sent it back after I could visibly see the pully just runout out radially. I ordered a set of trick flow sfi approved for a bit more, but it replaces the harmonic balancer with a smaller one. Works great. I would have rolled the front main out and checked it if I were you.

|4.10's|CMS Stage I cams|70 tb/plenum|HedMan Long tube Headers|SLP Power Flow cat back|93 octane tune|SFI U/D's| Team Z k-member/control arms| Strange coilovers|strange adjustable shocks|qa1 Caster camber plates| Weight Redux|Stall Coming soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page