Clunk/clank in front suspension of 96 Cobra - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old June 16th, 2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Clunk/clank in front suspension of 96 Cobra

So I have a very obvious metallic clunk/clank coming from the front left side of my 96 Cobra that seems to be worst at slow to medium speeds over any sort of bump. Oddly enough as soon as I hit the brakes the sound will stop and resume when I let off. I recently replaced the struts, springs/isolators, sway bar end links, ball joints, and inner and outer tie rods but the problem still exists. Only original parts left up front are the bushings, brakes, strut mount, and hub assembly so I'm wondering if its one of those. Before I start throwing more money at this elusive problem figured I asked here to some more knowledgeable people on what your opinions are. And yes everything is torqued correctly and I didn't notice any obvious signs of issues while it was apart.

1996 Mustang Cobra
2011 Taurus SHO
1990 Mustang GT
1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old June 16th, 2019, 11:28 PM

Control arm?
post #3 of 6 Old June 17th, 2019, 08:03 AM
Hans Sprungfeld

You more or less need to get it up in the air and see where there is any play. The fact it goes away with brake application makes me want to look at wheel bearings, or something of the sort. The usual approach is getting it up in the air, check for play by rocking the wheel top to bottom. That will indicate bad wheel bearing. Side to side is more tie rod. Ball joint is usually done by sticking a pry bar under the wheel and checking for a popping, but that's usually most noticeable when turning. For bushings you more or less need to disassemble them for a visual check or you might be able to get away with the pry bar technique in the fore to aft direction. If they're really shot you might be able to notice it by rocking the wheel side to side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old June 18th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Regular

Had a vehicle that did that and it ended up being the bushings. Also had another vehicle and it was the strut mount. The vehicle with the bushing had miles on it so they needed replaced. The vehicle that had the issue with the strut mount was my wife's 2003 caravan and I think it was replaced four different time under the warranty. I was so glad to get rid of that vehicle.
post #5 of 6 Old June 18th, 2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Regular

I guess i should have checked the obvious before posting lol. It turned out it was the anti rattle tabs in the front left caliper. Ironically had a brand new hardware kit laying around for it so i was able to do both front. Fixed the problem perfectly. False alarm but thanks for the help.

1996 Mustang Cobra
2011 Taurus SHO
1990 Mustang GT
1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
post #6 of 6 Old June 19th, 2019, 07:49 PM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

You can check my post history. I was battling a clanking noise extremely similar to this. I did everything. I mean everything. I was like wtf is going on! I changed every thing! I did every thing but.... the lower control arms. The freaking lower control arms were the culprit of my noise issue. The lower control arms come with rubber bushings from the factory. How did I miss this? My 2001 GT with factory rubber bushings in the lower control arms and I didn't think about it.

Long story short. I bought moog lower control arms. I pressed out the bullshit lower ball joints that use a lock but and pressed in moog problem solver ball joints that use an actual castle nut and fitting to grease it manually. Problem solved!

Hind sight is 20/20 But damn it is everything now new under there. When I took out the factory A arms the rubber bushings were shot. Cracked and hard as a rock. The moog replacements were soft and supple. I could have kicked myself for not thinking of this in the first place. I cross shopped Amazon and rock auto to get the best deals.

Amazon had the passenger side cheaper. Rock auto had the driver side cheaper. Amazon had the lower ball joints cheaper as a bundle of 2 after shipping. Go figure.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page