Sra swap worth it??? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old June 28th, 2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
WFO

Sra swap worth it???

I know this subject has been beat to death but. I’ve got an 01 Cobra eventually down the road going twin turbo. Right now just basic mods nothing big done. A guy locally has a sra he wants to swap with me. Is it really worth it or waste of time? As far as exhaust ect....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old June 28th, 2019, 08:33 PM
Hans Sprungfeld

Depends on what you want out of it. Autocross or more of a daily driver? IRS. Nothing but the drag strip? SRA makes launching out of the hole a lot easier to dial in, and stronger. Street and strip is more of a grey area. Personally I fall into the street and strip category, and I'm opting to stick with the IRS. It isn't as easy to launch, but it's just so much better to drive on the street.
post #3 of 10 Old June 28th, 2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
WFO

I just drive it when I wanna play. More concerned about the power limits. Also the slipping in the diff of the the irs. A concern I have with the sra is the exhaust hitting. I hit now with the irs. Is there a way to go more of a posi with the irs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old June 28th, 2019, 09:23 PM
Hans Sprungfeld

You can run an IRS exhaust with an SRA or IRS. Some of the SRA guys actually run it because they like the looks. The IRS exhaust does hang lower, as it goes under the subframe. The SRA one goes up above the axle. I don't have any clearance issues with mine, and mine is pretty low.

The SRA is stronger. But keep in mind, it's the same 8.8 differential either way. What kills the IRS is the deflection and wheel hop with stock rubber bushings. They can move around a lot, the wheels hop, and then the axles break. If you upgrade to delrin/aluminum bushings (like in the FTBR kit) and go with a reinforced diff cover it isn't an issue. I'm running that kit and have no hop issues. To really push the limits of the IRS (with the upgrades) you have to be making big power. Like 4 digit power.
post #5 of 10 Old June 28th, 2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
WFO

I thought you have to run the exhaust under the axle in a sra as well. Will 3” fit over the top with a 2.5-3” drop? Also what is cheaper in the end to get up to par for hookup and drive?
post #6 of 10 Old June 29th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Hans Sprungfeld

Nope. If you look at the exhausts for sale the SRA ones have a big U-shaped bend that goes over the axle. A 3" exhaust with that much drop will be awfully cramped, but would probably work.

For your average decent setup for either you're looking at-

SRA:
lower control arms and upper control arms ($300-500)
31 spline axles (if not already equipped) ($270)

IRS:
FTBR bushing kit ($700)
Reinforced diff cover ($270)
You could go cheaper with poly bushings or picking and choosing which ones to replace, but that $700 for the top notch FTBR kit is tough to beat.
post #7 of 10 Old June 29th, 2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
WFO

Thanks for all the info. This is a damn tough decision.
post #8 of 10 Old July 1st, 2019, 11:47 AM
Regular

I want a IRS but can't bring myself to spend $1500 +freight to get one so I'm holding out for someone who wants to swap, and seeing posts like these still give me hope of finding someone. I am going for a street build and planning 500-600 HP and with the mods wicked mentioned I have zero concern for IRS reliability. These Ford 8.8/9" diffs are pretty much indestructible which is why they are the standard for drag racing.

The ultimate daily driver project

post #9 of 10 Old July 3rd, 2019, 10:56 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Although I do not regret the performance gains building my SRA. The current list
31 spline axles
Gt500 track lock
3.55 gears.
MM XD LCAs
MM PHB
MM TA
Mm 42tA springs
Koni yellow single adjustables
FORD racing diff cover
Eibach sway bar.

Before this i had MM HD lcas qnd H&R SS springs.

It handles really well, launches well qnd brakes well... but it is a nightmare in fabbing exhaust to clear everything. I could have saved myself a lot of headaches by spending the $1300 or so for an irs+irs exhaust, and then the $1000 for the ftbr kit and brace and been at the same point with less of a headache, far less work. Ie: welding, setting pinion angles, mounting the PHB with plumb bobs and measuring, etc. and have far less NVH on the street had i gone with an IRS.

I guess the questions at hand are, how far do you want to go? What are your goals?

Mmr900 4.75 striker. Stock heads, CMS stage 2 turbo cams, on3 67mm ball bwaring billet wheel turbo kit @12.7 psi
539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

post #10 of 10 Old July 19th, 2019, 06:03 PM
Carving corners

Ill Have to say I love my IRS, its fully built with FTBR kit but its very difficult to get a good launch, best I could muster is a 0-60 in 4.3 seconds with toyo 295 r888r 3.55 gears and a tr3650, I recently got 315 NT01 and a t56 cobra spec and feel like its actually slower lol. Theres a kid at my local track who launches the shit out of his TA car and it hooks, hes on par with the AWD guys, I def struggle but once your in motion you can carry more speed into the corner but I think with a PB and TA you can carry more on the exit.

Follow me on Instagram! Username:whistles._
https://www.instagram.com/whistles._/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page