Any Opinion's Welcomed, Looking for possible ways to force my Stang into some kind of limp mode - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old July 12th, 2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Question Any Opinion's Welcomed, Looking for possible ways to force my Stang into some kind of limp mode

First off I know this sounds like a weird question and I've to do a bunch of research while not coming up with much. Basically I'm going to be pushing around 15+ lbs of boost into a 10.5:1 CR motor and plan on using meth along with an Intercooler. My tuner knows how to tune using meth just for cooling but is still concerned that meth systems are unreliable in his experience (he's been building and tuning Mustang's for almost 30 years so I trust his opinion).

I've been looking for a way to use the output (12v signal) of an AEM Flow Fail Safe to trigger some kind sensor or something else to trigger a type of Fail Safe. I know our cars don't have a fail safe exactly but they do have a limp mode, FMEM mode, traction control etc. I've looked at the MSD 6 Box but the unit and the needed harness for our cars is almost $800 dollars and most places the harness is unavailable or discontinued......

I know I could just shut off the pump (A1000 return style) But that is not really ideal since it is a street car and honestly I'm not sure what would happen if the pump shut off at 5k in gear (5 speed). I've contemplated using an MSD 2 Step to cut spark as well, not sure if it is possible or safe either. I've thought of using a relay to open the signal or power wire to the MAF but not sure if the ECU will react correctly or even quick enough to save an engine. I considered making the coolant temp sensor read high as well but there is no safety procedure programmed into the ecu for that either. I also thought about using a relay to open the TB sensor but once again not sure if that will work either. I know I could just use a warning light as well, but damage can happen in less than a second and I'm not that fast.

Any ideas everyone??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old July 12th, 2019, 11:21 AM
Hans Sprungfeld

Are you looking for some sort of "safe mode" in the event that there's not any flow from the meth system?

In that case I think the easiest thing to do would be to alter the signal of the IAT sensor to essentially peg, and tune your ACT (air charge temperature) spark adders accordingly to pull a ton of timing, which is exactly what your engine would want to do if you suddenly weren't spraying. You would still maintain power in that condition, just reduced to the amount that it could handle without the meth.

As for achieving it you could use it with a two pole relay. In the normally closed position the ECM gets the normal IAT signal. When the failsafe activates, it energizes the relay to the other pole, which will give it the signal of maxed out IAT. (Which you can achieve through voltage regulators/sources and some resistors.)
post #3 of 3 Old July 14th, 2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Thank You, I considered using the IAT but wasn't sure if it was feasible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page