OBD2 port stopped working - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old July 17th, 2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

OBD2 port stopped working

I know this thread was posted before and alot of good things were said, but still at a loss because nothing has worked.

SO, what happened was... my 98 cobra had an issue with the idle not wanting to kick down when stopping at a light and was throwing 2 DTC's for the egr and iac. Would idle at like 2000 rpm's. So I went through and changed:

-throttle position sensor (TPS)
-exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR)
-idle air control valve (iac)

After doing this my check engine light immediately turned off. But when I tried to put my scanner on it to put a tune on the car it wouldn't connect.

SO...its not the tuner because it works fine on other vehicles for pulling DTC's but even my simple 20 dollar scanner wont power up.

- checked and replaced every fuse under the hood and under the dash. Nothing!
- tried disconnecting different sensors to try to get it to come on. Still Nothing!!
Dont know what else to try.

Please help!!!

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

I'm really hoping it's not anything serious since there hasn't really been a noticeable loss of power or drivability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old July 17th, 2019, 08:02 AM
Hans Sprungfeld

First thing I would do is check for power and ground at the connector. Refer to this link for which pins to check:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig4_300350886

I would assume the network itself isn't down since your gauge cluster runs off that network as well.
post #3 of 4 Old July 25th, 2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

What do you mean network? All gauges but my speedo work I use a app for speed. I did a battery reset on the car too and cleaned up connections and that didnt help. I'm not getting any power at pin 16?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old July 25th, 2019, 02:10 PM
Hans Sprungfeld

There's a communication network (CAN) where the devices communicate with one another, including the ECU, gauge cluster, and anything you plug in to that port.

Think of it like a LAN setup at home. You can't connect to the LAN with your one laptop, but your other computers on it are doing fine. That way you know the LAN itself isn't the issue.

Since you don't have power, you're going to have to trace that wire and see where there's a bad connection, whether it's a fuse or connector somewhere. Unfortunately I don't have the diagrams for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page