Advice on getting engine in - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old August 14th, 2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
1C2
Regular

Advice on getting engine in

Hey guys, spent a couple hours today trying to get my engine in my 03 GT. I cant seem to get it to avoid hitting everything while lining everything up. It needs to slide straight back onto the trans, but it cant because the studs on the engine mount need to lift up and go straight down into their holes, but they cant because of the trans... Really hard doing it by yourself, so any tips would be appreciated.

91 GMC Syclone
95 Taurus SHO mtx
99 Mustang GT-Sold
94 Probe GT
03 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old August 15th, 2019, 08:04 AM
Hans Sprungfeld

Definitely move the trans backward. You need the clearance. I've never done it with the transmission bolted on its mount. I usually drop the engine in on its own, then the transmission from the bottom.
post #3 of 5 Old August 15th, 2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
1C2
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
Definitely move the trans backward. You need the clearance. I've never done it with the transmission bolted on its mount. I usually drop the engine in on its own, then the transmission from the bottom.

Ah that makes sense. Damn now I gotta crawl underneath it 😞

91 GMC Syclone
95 Taurus SHO mtx
99 Mustang GT-Sold
94 Probe GT
03 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old August 20th, 2019, 11:10 AM
Regular

Just did this this summer. Get an adjustable engine hoist thingy, you crank it to tilt the engine to different angles as you set it into the engine bay. I want to say they're like $30 from HF, I bought mine at Northern Tool for around $35 I think. Support the trans with the floor jack then unbolt the trans cross-member, remove shifter from above, unbolt the driveshaft, then slowly lower the trans. Should be good to go.

I had good luck dropping in my engine and trans bolted together as one unit with the motor mounts and long tube headers already bolted to the engine. Only thing i had to remove was the starter, BUT I have the MM k-member which may have helped me.
post #5 of 5 Old August 27th, 2019, 09:43 PM
Regular

So yes you have to pull the tranny back to get the engine in on its mounts then bolt up the trans. Wether its a manual or auto you gotta get the engine in first. If you can I would suggest pull the tranny out from under and bolt it to the engine then stab the whole thing in. It’s seriously alot easier! Trying to get the trans back on the bosses and line up your clutch or torque converter is such a PIA in the car. Out with room to move around is so much easier and quicker than fiddling around in your back and praying the first time its mated correctly. Good Luck!!! Happy trails!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page