Modded Mustang Forums banner

forced induction assistance please

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  EDDIEDOVER 
#1 ·
ive decided that im going procharger for my relatively stock 2002 mustang gt. but do i buy it in kit form or piece it together? i have 78mm throttle body and plenum with ford racing intake and cold air intake now. but im gonna need a parts list as well. thank you!

right now i have 42lb injectors and 255lph fuel pump already and waiting. what else do i need?

#4 ·
I would check out svtperformance, corral.net, and facebook classifieds. They pop up from time to time. I would buy one with an intercooler.

#6 ·
I pieced my vortech kit together back when I was supercharged. Honestly I was very happy with that decision as you get all the parts you want to your liking. And the price is way less than new. I got a vortech V3 blower with the bracket and bolts for like $1500. Then did my own FMIC kit that was around $300. Bought a used vortech open race bpv for like $150. After the belt I had less than $2000 in the system.

I also noticed you didnt list a maf.... A lightning maf will work perfect for you and you can get them for around $50. If you want to sound like a jet driving around then get a slot style maf and open bpv.

#7 ·
yeah i havent found anything for even close to that price. lol. ive priced out my entire kit piece by piece for right under $5000 total. then obviously gotta get a tune after the fact. i want to go procharger brand because its self lubricating, no running oil lines. so thats probably why im having trouble getting things cheaper. but will be worth it in the end i think. cant wait til next spring ya know?

#8 ·
prices on things have gone up considerably, that list shaun made is irrelevant, I pieced mine together around the same time he did his list and I never came close to finding some of the prices he did. Its a great list, and pretty invaluable but try not to focus on prices.

superchargers.com has most everything you will need for mounting the supercharger on the car once you have found a head unit, I scored mine on ebay refurbished through vortech's ebay store for 890.00. The bracket kit was just under 300, I had the CX racing intercooler but ditched it for a mishimoto R which is much nicer, don't cheap out on the BOV Tial makes a nice piece. Dont bother with a power pipe waste of money and sucks up a **** ton of water in the rain, just a filter on the head unit is all you need, I am stock engine, hp 292 cams 3.33 pulley and just a filter on the head unit and last time I was on the dyno I made 540whp, I actually gained 1lb of boost when i ditched the power pipe. good luck

Also one thing in the past everyone thought the way to go for fuel is to modify the basket and drop in something, DO NOT MODIFY THE FUEL BASKET this is not good, this all you need and will support up to 525whp https://www.amazon.com/Walbro-TU229HP-Fuel-Module-Assembly/dp/B00EBOP2ZO dont believe me call Fore the fuel guys in florida, this is the exact pump assembly I have, its literally the same BBK unit American Muscle sells without the BBK sticker and 300 dollar price tag.

#9 ·
Dont limit yourself to Procharger if you are wanting a self lubricating blower. The vortech V3 which is what I had is self lubricating (no oil lines)

#10 ·
I picked up a complete Vortech system (non inter-cooled, oil feed) for $1,500 two years ago on eBay. The only thing I did was replace the single lip oil seal (the one right behind the pulley) with a new double lip for like $15, I daily drive my car and have had zero issues in those two years and beat the snout of of it. In addition to what other folks have mentioned about looking at the for sale sections in the Mustang forums, what worked for me was to go onto Facebook and join every Mustang group I could find, especially the ones selling things. I also searched eBay. I tried Craigslist search engines, that never worked well for me.

I would remain open to either a Vortech or Procharger, both are excellent systems. If you want a good deal, you will have to be aggressive, have money in hand, ready to make a deal and stay glued to eBay, the forums and the Facebook groups, you will have to check every thing at least once a day, and be patient. It took me two months of hardcore, dedicated all out searching, and even then I had two times I wanted to close out a deal just to have someone beat me to it. There are good deals out there, you will have to spend them time to look for them.

I have a complete breakdown on what it cost me all in, see attachment. Include in that price I spent $150 for custom welding of the inter cooler piping and you will have to figure in the cost of a tune.

Attachments

#11 ·
I went with the ProCharger P-1SC with the 3-core intercooler. That intercooler at the time was the best on the market. I installed it when at the 80,000 mile mark. The car currently has 212,000 miles. I sent the head unit back in once for a new seal. This was totally my fault. I lost a spacer changing a belt and when I bolted the head unit down the pulleys were out of alignment. I shredded a belt. The frayed belt hammered against the seal and made it leak. That is the only problem I've ever had in 132,000 miles.

Unlike Vortech, ProCharger is self-contained. It does not use engine oil for lubrication. ProCharger sells an accessory, an oil line, that makes the drain plug much more accessible. I change oil ever 5,000 miles at the same time I change engine oil. I only use ProCharger brand oil in it.

I use full-synthetic oil in my motor, European blend 0-40. It still has the additives that have been taken out of American oil. I did the dipstick mod. Our oil pans will hold up to 8 quarts of oil without interfering with the crank. A 2000 GT dipstick shows full at 5 quarts. Years ago a member ran his oil pan dry blowing up his motor. He was operating at high rpm with the engine dipstick on add. I know use a 2003 dipstick I bought at Ford. It shows full at six quarts. At 212,000 mile my motor only uses one quart per 5,000 miles. Even at the add mark it still has 5 quarts of oil.

I recommend ProCharger. Mine has 132,000 miles on it and it is still going strong.

#12 ·
Again... Vortech's have self contained lubricating blowers. The V3 blowers require zero oil lines.

If you can find a good deal dont limit yourself to procharger

#13 ·
Just like the old days. There are ProCharger drivers and there are Vortech drivers. Back then, when this forum had lots of members, the ProCharger drivers were outnumbered. Don't get me wrong, Vortech makes good blowers and unless things have changed most of the Vortech blowers are not self-contained and they do not ship with an intercooler. The ProCharger stage 3 intercooler that I have is one of the best on the market.

I really don't care what people buy but I have 132,000 miles on mine and its still going strong. That to me is testament to a good blower and the P-1SC is their bottom line blower.

#14 ·
Im not trying to push him in either direction just stating the fact that he has options when trying to find good deals self contained blowers. I've ran both vortechs and prochargers and I can honestly say they are both great head units. Obviously if hes hunting for a used unit it totally depends on how the previous owner treated it.

Reactions: Eagle2000GT
#15 ·
if you want to go with 8 rib set up on pulleys (you may not need them if low boost) i have a brand new in box ford motorcraft 8 rib power steering pulley and motorraft a pulley/clutch in box ill take $80 plus shipping and if you need vorteh v3 3.33 pulley add $50 its brand new never installed as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.