Modded Mustang Forums banner

thinking of getting an aftermarket steering wheel and have SRS?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MineralGreyGT 
#1 ·
So

I might be looking into getting an aftermarket steering wheel for my car but only thing is I have to pass emissions here in MA. If I unplug the SRS sensor and plug it back in when i install my factory steering wheel for emissions will there be any issues with the air bags or sensors?

#2 ·
I have an aftermarket GT steering wheel and have no SRA light or codes. I think an SRS code only throws the SRS light not the CEL. I know you need a special scanner to read those codes through the obdII. I don't know if the RMV inspection system picked up those codes or not.

#3 ·
First the WARNING stuff:

Do NOT mess around with the air bag connections until you have disconnected the battery ground cable and waited 2 to 3 minutes for the SRS backup battery (really a big capacitor) to discharge.

OK with that out of the way, you can trick the drivers side SRS module into believing the air bag (bomb) squib is present by placing a 2.3 Ω resistor across the gray/orange and gray/white wires at the clockspring connector under the dash. The SRS module monitors the squib by running a very low current signal through it, not enough to fire the squib, to verify that the squib's resistance is 2.3 Ω.

2.3 Ω is not a common value, however two 4.7 Ω resistors in parallel will work. I just twisted together and soldered the leads of two 1/4W components, then "shaped" the soldered leads with flat jaw pliers so that they would plug right into the harness end of the clockspring connector.

This is a Grant 714 mahogany wheel on a MOMO hub (redrilled for the 5-screw Grant mount):

The cover for the steering column is the bottom of a 6" wedding cake pan from Walmart, I made a brush holder from a 3/8" nylon bolt and an old power tool carbon brush to pass the horn ground through to the MOMO slip ring.

The cruise control switches were replaced with round rocker units and installed in a small polished panel in the shift surround:

The clockspring was removed, however no cutting or tapping of stock wiring was needed--it is a fully reversible modification.

Reactions: MineralGreyGT
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.