Any Cherokee Sport owners in here? - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 Old September 19th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Moderator
 
03SonicBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,592
                     
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
I need to do the rear main on mine but it doesn't even leak a 1/4 of a quart between oil changes so I haven't found the motivation.
I replaced mine several months ago because the drop of oil on my epoxy flour was bothering me. I dropped the pan at night, let it sit overnight, and changed it the next morning. Doing it that way, it wasn't dirty and was pretty quick. The biggest PITA was getting the oil pan gasket to seal up and not leak. After a couple tries, I went RTV.

03SonicBoom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 43 Old September 19th, 2014, 03:17 PM
You had one job!
 
TCStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 9,138
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Yeah it's not a difficult job just not on my priority list but i will end up doing it in the next month or so when it's oil change time again.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
TCStang is offline  
post #23 of 43 Old October 25th, 2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic
 
fb93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 3,351
             
iTrader: 0 reviews
Came across a 2000 for cheap. Seller says the engine runs great at first, but the head is cracked, gets hot and stalls within a couple minutes. Its only got 194k on it. The head is obvious and i have no issues replacing a head, but is there anything else to look for with it as far as the stalling? Or is this a pass?
fb93 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 43 Old October 25th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
AR Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: AR
Posts: 1,216
       
iTrader: 0 reviews
How cheap? Last thing you want to do is have unknown motor issue's just buying a car unless the deal is an absolute steal.

I bought a 97 grand cherokee(175k miles) and a 99 grand cherokee(126k miles) both 4x4 and both with the 4.0 for $400 bucks each a couple weeks ago. I had to buy a rear end for the 99 since it wasn't there and I am in it for $650 now and took me a couple hours putting it all in with gear oil change and brake bleeding. The 97 works great just needs tires which I was replacing anyways for a bigger set. The 97 did have a stalling issue on start up but it was only a couple shots worth of parts cleaner and a few minutes cleaning the IAC to fix it.


You can find deals out there.
AR Stang is offline  
post #25 of 43 Old October 25th, 2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic
 
fb93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 3,351
             
iTrader: 0 reviews
Theyre asking 1700. There are others on my list that need nothing other than cosmetics, but im not counting this one out just yet as i dont mind a little wrenching. But if i find the floors are rusted, its a definite pass. I got enough of that with the Mustang.

Last edited by fb93; October 26th, 2014 at 12:52 AM.
fb93 is offline  
post #26 of 43 Old October 25th, 2014, 09:36 PM
SlowFiveOh
 
Supra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,370
       
iTrader: 0 reviews
Miss my XJ. 1999 Cherokee Sport 2 door. 4.0L 5 spd 4x4



Also had a 93" with 6.5" lift & 33's


2013 5.0 / Roush TVS 82mm / VMP Twin 67mm TB / ID1000's /JPC Longtubes / Kooks AB's / 1 piece aluminum DS / BMR Suspension + Strange struts/shocks
Instagram ~ @slowfiveoh
Supra is offline  
post #27 of 43 Old October 27th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
AR Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: AR
Posts: 1,216
       
iTrader: 0 reviews
For 1700 I would pass and get one with a good drive train and fix the cosmetic issues.
AR Stang is offline  
post #28 of 43 Old October 30th, 2014, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic
 
fb93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 3,351
             
iTrader: 0 reviews
What are you paying for insurance on your Cherokees? I tried getting a quote from different places, but they want the VIN, which i dont have because i havent bought anything yet. Unless its ebay, the sellers arent sharing VINs, and im not driving all over creation just to get them. Or, you fill in some info and they dont even give a quote, and dont even ask for an email lol. WTF? Or you have to pay to get a quote. Seriously??? Asking you guys seems to be the least stressful right now.

If you have two insured vehicles (say a Cherokee and a Mustang, only) what are you paying together? Im simply trying to get a general idea of what i may pay before i get a Cherokee so i can work everything out with the Mustang. The plan is to use the Cherokee as a second vehicle so i can work on the Mustang (but still drive it when needed), but if i drop insurance for the Mustang and transfer everything over, i cant drive the Mustang back and forth to the shops as it wouldnt be insured. The shops wont touch it. And i simply dont have the skill nor the time to do the work myself.
fb93 is offline  
post #29 of 43 Old October 30th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Moderator
 
03SonicBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,592
                     
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fb93 View Post
What are you paying for insurance on your Cherokees? I tried getting a quote from different places, but they want the VIN, which i dont have because i havent bought anything yet. Unless its ebay, the sellers arent sharing VINs, and im not driving all over creation just to get them. Or, you fill in some info and they dont even give a quote, and dont even ask for an email lol. WTF? Or you have to pay to get a quote. Seriously??? Asking you guys seems to be the least stressful right now.

If you have two insured vehicles (say a Cherokee and a Mustang, only) what are you paying together? Im simply trying to get a general idea of what i may pay before i get a Cherokee so i can work everything out with the Mustang. The plan is to use the Cherokee as a second vehicle so i can work on the Mustang (but still drive it when needed), but if i drop insurance for the Mustang and transfer everything over, i cant drive the Mustang back and forth to the shops as it wouldnt be insured. The shops wont touch it. And i simply dont have the skill nor the time to do the work myself.
I don't have a Cherokee, but I have a Grand Cherokee. I don't think my insurance rates are a good reference because everyone I talk to is absolutely shocked. I pay $550 every 6 months for full coverage on my car, wife's car (2011 Sorento), and my house. That's roughly $90/month for full coverage on 2 vehicles and a house.

The reason I'm actually responding is because you should be able to get a VIN number or something. Find one in your local area and go get the VIN number. Then call for a quote and use that number. Or ask people for the VIN so you can run a Carfax report.

03SonicBoom is offline  
post #30 of 43 Old October 30th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
AR Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: AR
Posts: 1,216
       
iTrader: 0 reviews
The mustang and the accord I do full coverage and it is like 90 something a month. I don't remember the exact amount off the top of my head. The quote I got for adding the ZJ liability only was 20ish dollars a month.
AR Stang is offline  
post #31 of 43 Old October 30th, 2014, 09:06 PM
You had one job!
 
TCStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 9,138
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
I pay 630 a year for full coverage on my 01 xj. The mustang is 1000 a year.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
TCStang is offline  
post #32 of 43 Old October 30th, 2014, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic
 
fb93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 3,351
             
iTrader: 0 reviews
They dont make this easy, at all. I tried going thru my current insurance company with an online quote and they wont give me one online lol. Thats pretty shitty imo. They want me to call. I cant even add another vehicle online, i have to call. I got a message stating it looks like you already have an insurance policy with us. Well, duh! Tried Geico and Progressive but i stopped as soon as they asked for my SS#. Its like trying to join Facebook, they want EVERYTHING lol. Why cant they give you a quote with just your age, vehicles year, make, model and possibly mileage? Its just a quote.

I guess they need to be sure you actually exist? A SS# has its uses, but for some things i dont see the point, or the need. I tried using a VIN off a random Jeep (same model etc.) for sale on ebay and apparently the VIN is not enough. They still wanted to know my address, height, weight, if i dress left or right and how i cook my noodles. That last bit was sarcasm.

Looks like im stuck having to make a phone call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Stang View Post
The mustang and the accord I do full coverage and it is like 90 something a month. I don't remember the exact amount off the top of my head. The quote I got for adding the ZJ liability only was 20ish dollars a month.
So 110 give or take per month for all three? Sounds pretty good to me. I can only hope i get a deal like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
I pay 630 a year for full coverage on my 01 xj. The mustang is 1000 a year.
What youre paying for the Jeep is about what im paying now for the Mustang, give or take. Full coverage. So youre at 1630 per month? Ouch.
fb93 is offline  
post #33 of 43 Old November 3rd, 2014, 02:14 PM
You had one job!
 
TCStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 9,138
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fb93 View Post
They dont make this easy, at all. I tried going thru my current insurance company with an online quote and they wont give me one online lol. Thats pretty shitty imo. They want me to call. I cant even add another vehicle online, i have to call. I got a message stating it looks like you already have an insurance policy with us. Well, duh! Tried Geico and Progressive but i stopped as soon as they asked for my SS#. Its like trying to join Facebook, they want EVERYTHING lol. Why cant they give you a quote with just your age, vehicles year, make, model and possibly mileage? Its just a quote.

I guess they need to be sure you actually exist? A SS# has its uses, but for some things i dont see the point, or the need. I tried using a VIN off a random Jeep (same model etc.) for sale on ebay and apparently the VIN is not enough. They still wanted to know my address, height, weight, if i dress left or right and how i cook my noodles. That last bit was sarcasm.

Looks like im stuck having to make a phone call.



So 110 give or take per month for all three? Sounds pretty good to me. I can only hope i get a deal like that.



What youre paying for the Jeep is about what im paying now for the Mustang, give or take. Full coverage. So youre at 1630 per month? Ouch.
No I pay 1630 a year for full coverage on both.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
TCStang is offline  
post #34 of 43 Old November 4th, 2014, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic
 
fb93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 3,351
             
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
No I pay 1630 a year for full coverage on both.
Oops, you did say per year. Not enough sleep i guess.

I finally got a quote from my ins.. The Mustang + a possible 99 Cherokee came to about 145 per month with full coverage. Not bad, but i was hoping for closer to 110. I would still need to figure out where to park the Mustang in all of this which was, and still is, my main concern. I am in no way ready to sell her just yet. Not untill i can fix her up a bit. I hate to say it, but yes, ive been thinking of letting her go.

I got a qutoe from Progressive as well. Lots of pointless questions. Anyway, their quote was $39-44 depending on the plan. I liked those numbers, but what i didnt like was that i couldnt select collision or comprehensive, for ANY of them, which made no sense to me. So screw that. No matter how old the vehicle, i always add those to my policy. But if i cant, see ya.

I have not been able to test drive anything yet, but this is what i have found so far. Lots of ugly.

2000 for $1700 - Needs a new head. I could fix it no problem, but PASS.
2000 for $3995 - Fred Flintstone owned this one (no joke and that price is real). Left rear spring bushing shell disintergrating BAD. Exhaust supported with wire...not a good sign. What else is about to fall off or has been half-assed? PASS.
2000 for $2200 - The driver side is uneven with rust and the center console was not bolted down. Valve cover caked in dirt (including the oil fill cap) and the bushings shot to hell. A rushed repair and it wasnt maintained properly. PASS.
1997 for $2500 - No response from seller in over a week. PASS
1997 for $2800 - Needs windshield. No response from seller in over a week. PASS
1999 for $3000 - Maybe.
1997 for $1750 - Engine sounds like a diesel, faintly. Bad bearings? Broken piston? Cracked head? Flywheel bolts hitting the bell? Water pump? PASS.
1999 for $2000 - Looks new. EVAP code. No response from seller in over a week. PASS
1999 for $2500 - One small rust spot on the driver side toeboard but used for towing. What shape is the transmission in? One rear shock dented good. Bushings shot to hell front and back. Rear axle bumpstop fell off barely touching it lol. Not maintained properly. PASS.
1994 for $1999 - Looks good but needs inspected. PASS.

Some of those i could deal with, but some are just .
fb93 is offline  
post #35 of 43 Old November 4th, 2014, 03:42 PM
You had one job!
 
TCStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 9,138
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Prices are insane in your area for junk. They are not near as expensive here in TX.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
TCStang is offline  
post #36 of 43 Old November 5th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
AR Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: AR
Posts: 1,216
       
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
Prices are insane in your area for junk. They are not near as expensive here in TX.
For the price of those and how junky they sound head down towards the south and buy one. You can get a decent running one for less than 1k most weeks. The extra money you save on buying one could cover travel expenses.
AR Stang is offline  
post #37 of 43 Old November 5th, 2014, 03:56 PM
You had one job!
 
TCStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 9,138
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Stang View Post
For the price of those and how junky they sound head down towards the south and buy one. You can get a decent running one for less than 1k most weeks. The extra money you save on buying one could cover travel expenses.
agreed

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
TCStang is offline  
post #38 of 43 Old November 10th, 2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic
 
fb93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 3,351
             
iTrader: 0 reviews
That 99 that was a maybe looks like a probably not. My work scheduling simply wont allow it for the next couple of weeks thanks to the holidays. My mom drove me down the last time to atleast look at it, even tho the dealer was closed. My Mustang doesnt do long trips. I dont trust it. So for now, my search is on hold.

For those that have used Craigslist to find a vehicle, how often have private sellers gotten back to you? Because none, and i mean absolutely NONE, not a single one has EVER returned a call or email in the last 2 months. TWO. I have called, and emailed, more than once to let them know i am interested. WTF is up with people? Is this a game to them or something? This isnt just a rant, i really want to know wtf is wrong with these people. Dealers, no problem. Private sellers, forget about it.

At this rate im better off building a sled and commandeering the neighbors dog to pull me around.
fb93 is offline  
post #39 of 43 Old November 10th, 2014, 04:56 PM
You had one job!
 
TCStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 9,138
               
iTrader: 0 reviews
I had a lot of no replies when shopping craigslist too. I had better luck with calling than email or text.

1968 Coupe- Sold
2007 Premium GT- Sold
2015 GT- Premium auto, 3.55 gears, 20's

MY CO BUILD
TCStang is offline  
post #40 of 43 Old November 11th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
AR Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: AR
Posts: 1,216
       
iTrader: 0 reviews
Craigslist is hit or miss. If they sell the vehicle they won't return emails or calls and such is all I figure. I bought my 71 dart on CL, and these last couple jeeps on CL. I usually get response's if I contact within the first week of listing since people normally actively check then.
AR Stang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome