Thoughts on diesels - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old July 15th, 2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Token asian guy

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to swervo
Thoughts on diesels

So I'm looking to buy a newer diesel truck in the 6 months or so. I've test driven the big 3 already and so far here are my conclusions just by driving them. They were all priced with in each other the Ford Lariat, Ram Laramie and Chevy LTZ. I like the Ford out of the 3, it has good power and the transmission is smooth, plus it's pretty tough looking. The Ram is a close second, interior is awesome, power is good but the transmission is clunky. The Chevy is alright, I like the interior, but the cabin sits too low to me and the windows are too small. Im used to my 2006 Silverado I guess, where it feels like I'm sitting higher and I can see everything. Power wasn't as peppy as the ford or ram and the Allison transmission is pretty damn good.

What are your thoughts on it? Also, I know I don't need a diesel to tow my stang around and can get by with my 2006 Silverado 1500, but I just want one.

'11 Grabber Blue GT
Instagram @swervo1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
swervo if I ever go gay I'm totally going to marry you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old July 15th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
All three trucks are great anymore. I don't think you can really go wrong.
post #3 of 9 Old July 20th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Im a fan of the PowerStroke as most of the people on this fourm probably are too. But I have heard some bad things. the 6.7 seems to me Like a great motor, but every time i go the my dealer, there are 2-3 different trucks there with blown motors. You never know if its from user error or manufacturing error. on the other hand, Almost all of my buddies have cummins trucks. they are all junk. especially the new ones. they cant keep them on the road for more than a week and a half before it goes in to the dealer for repairs and they are out their trucks for 2-3 weeks. ive heard a few things about the duramax, like they chew through tourqe converters and Chevrolet interior has always been crap IMO.. i wish toyota would get into the diesel game. i feel like it would make the big three up their game. Competition creates legends lol.

2011 5.0

Eibach Pro-Dampers
H&R Super Sports
Magnaflow Competition Axle-Back
:fiveohnation
:KBmustangregistry
:@konabluebryar

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old July 21st, 2015, 01:08 PM
One Man Wolf Pack

Send a message via AIM to 06RedfireGT
I've really been impressed with the 6.7 Powerstroke. It's very smooth, quiet and powerful. I don't have any experience with the Chevy or Ram so I can't compare them. If I were you I would really sit down and think about buying a diesel if the only thing you are towing is your Mustang. I know you said you just want one but just consider the whole picture. Fuel is more expensive, maintenance is more expensive, parts are more expensive, the diesel itself is like an $8000+ option. Any of the big three half ton trucks right now are more than capable of towing the Stang, and are better to live with on a daily basis. They drive better, ride better, handle better, are smaller and easier to park.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #5 of 9 Old July 28th, 2015, 02:22 PM

All are nice, I think I would go with the new dmax. That body style has grown on me.

1998 Cobra CY
post #6 of 9 Old July 29th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RedfireGT View Post
I've really been impressed with the 6.7 Powerstroke. It's very smooth, quiet and powerful. I don't have any experience with the Chevy or Ram so I can't compare them. If I were you I would really sit down and think about buying a diesel if the only thing you are towing is your Mustang. I know you said you just want one but just consider the whole picture. Fuel is more expensive, maintenance is more expensive, parts are more expensive, the diesel itself is like an $8000+ option. Any of the big three half ton trucks right now are more than capable of towing the Stang, and are better to live with on a daily basis. They drive better, ride better, handle better, are smaller and easier to park.
also where your located... if you ever get into any kind of cold you could have gel issues. i know most come with block heaters but still. it can be a problem even when driving down the road. Midwest Illinois there are a ton of diesel trucks running around. but it gets hella cold here and there are a hella lot of diesel trucks on the side of the road on cold days lol.

2011 5.0

Eibach Pro-Dampers
H&R Super Sports

post #7 of 9 Old July 30th, 2015, 01:42 AM
Enthusiast

Really kind of hard to call a cummins junk. Theyre a pretty solid engine,and have been for a long time.

Pm me for billet T45/3650/T56 forks. Usually in stock.
post #8 of 9 Old July 30th, 2015, 03:28 PM
The Dude Abides

Garage
Diesels are the best for big trucks... or maybe everything, not sure.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

"If you can't hear it before you see it, what's the point?" - Jesse James
post #9 of 9 Old July 31st, 2015, 05:31 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottledgt View Post
Really kind of hard to call a cummins junk. Theyre a pretty solid engine,and have been for a long time.
not the new ones. at least the 10 trucks that im around all the time. . the motor is okay but these guys have had them in the shop 24/7 And they dont even push em hard all the time. the truck as a whole is junk. ill say it again and again. the misconception is that dodge is a good truck becasue cummins. no, the cummins is an good motor if you treat it right, just like everything else. the problem is even if you treat the truck itself right its still going to fail, thats where the other companies prosper

2011 5.0

Eibach Pro-Dampers
H&R Super Sports

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page