Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   All Other Vehicles (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/all-other-vehicles/)
-   -   bought a new car. 1970 galaxie 500 (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/all-other-vehicles/560849-bought-new-car-1970-galaxie-500-a.html)

kyle2002stang! August 4th, 2015 03:49 PM

bought a new car. 1970 galaxie 500

last sunday me and my brother were driving down the highway and decided to take a detour through a little town of about 100 people. i saw the car and decided to get a closer look. as i was checking it out, the owner happened to pull up and ask me if i was interested in buying it. i asked what it was worth and he said "$20". at first i thought he was joking! so i took it home for 20 bucks.
its a 1970 Galaxie 500 two door "fastback" with a 351W, FMX 3 speed, and unknown rear.
needless to say its got issues. it hasnt ran since 1991, so theres that. the guy said it was his dads car and it was parked when he passed away. he said it still ran good when parked. he bought it in 1970 with 200 miles on it. (so im the 3rd owner of the car)
the good thing is he had it sitting up on blocks, so it wasnt sitting in the dirt. the floorboards, frame and rockers are all there and in good shape, but the quarter panels are a bit tough.
surprisingly the engine wasnt even siezed! im going to try and see if i cant get it to fire after doing a good tune-up and changing all fluids.

06RedfireGT August 5th, 2015 04:21 PM

Damn $20? Can't beat that. Definitely could be a cool project.

Austin August 5th, 2015 07:55 PM

Damn.

I'll give you $40 and I'll pick it up lol

TCStang August 6th, 2015 05:18 PM

Damn that's awesome. You could make a quick profit if you get it running.

foxfive August 11th, 2015 08:53 PM

Pics or said Galaxy doesn't exist :)

kyle2002stang! August 18th, 2015 03:43 PM

ill get some pics up soon! i did a tune up on it. i put on new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil, and starter solenoid as well as changed the oil and filter.

i dont have a battery for it, so i tried hooking jumper cables up to the pos and neg cables to see if it wold go but no luck. i can turn it over by hand, but it wont crank with the key. the starter solenoid will click occasionally but thats it. the old cables are pretty rotten and corroded so im going to have some new ones made and go from there.

kyle2002stang! August 19th, 2015 12:56 AM

one cell phone pic is all i have for now

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...psxw9r3gn7.jpg

kyle2002stang! August 23rd, 2015 04:51 AM

IT RUNS!!!!! i put new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, and changed the oil/filter. after that i hooked some jumper cables up to it and with a bit of work she fired up! it was blowing white smoke like a mother fucker, but after running it for a while and getting it warmed up and running a can of seafoam through it it cleared up and stopped. im assuming its just because its been sitting for 23 years. but it now starts up on the first few cranks consistently and runs nice and smooth firing on all 8! im pretty happy about my $20 car lol

Torched02gt August 23rd, 2015 07:29 AM

Awesome! Love Galaxies. 67's are my personal favorite.. Pretty cool story though. Would make a pretty cool weekend cruiser with some more work.

kyle2002stang! August 23rd, 2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torched02gt (Post 10886954)
Awesome! Love Galaxies. 67's are my personal favorite.. Pretty cool story though. Would make a pretty cool weekend cruiser with some more work.

thats the plan. i still gotta go through the brakes and fuel system, as well as flush the transmission and cooling system. once i get that done id like to throw some new wheels and tires on it and just enjoy it. its got some awesome patina

Edgethis August 23rd, 2015 08:56 PM

Awesome car. That is a great story to go with it.

maxgst August 24th, 2015 12:25 PM

That car has so much potential!

kyle2002stang! August 27th, 2015 08:08 PM

everything is almost ready to go! this whole time i was running it out of a gas can. i decided to hook it up t the tank,put 5 gallons in and see what happens. unfortunately it will not run at all now. i guess ill need a new tank and fuel lines now. :( im honestly debating on just throwing a fuel cell in the trunk.

kyle2002stang! August 30th, 2015 10:26 PM

i cleaned the tank out and replaced a bunch of fuel line and replaced the filter and it all works! i put a solid 10 miles of driving on the car. it still needs some carb work i think. you can rev it up in park, but when you stup on it while moving it just kinda falls on its face. i washed it up and waxed it last night. also threw my old bullitts on the rear. i need some small spacers for the fronts to fit.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...pswosg3jre.jpg

kyle2002stang! September 2nd, 2015 12:32 AM

wheels are on! i got a edelbrock performer intake for it that ive had laying around for the last year or two. im also working on getting a 4 barrel carb as well.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps1powpl4x.jpg

Pingar September 2nd, 2015 04:23 PM

That looks good with the bullitts on their.

kyle2002stang! December 11th, 2015 02:32 PM

after 4 months i finally got the title for the car.

i was sorting through some old papers that i found in the car while i was cleaning it and found the original build sheet as well as a registration card from 1970. with some internet searching i managed to find the guy who bought the car brand new in 1970! he was very surprised and happy to find out the car still existed. he traded in a 67 cougar for it. and the dent right above the windshield? turns out its from hitting a fence post he said. interesting stuff!

Edgethis December 12th, 2015 12:10 AM

Thats awesome you found the original owner. Pretty cool about the dent, just adds to the history of the car. The wheels look great on there.

HiMyNameIsWyatt December 14th, 2015 10:54 PM

Badass!

kyle2002stang! February 10th, 2016 07:08 PM

i dropped the old fuel tank out and threw it away as it was full of corrosion and rust. also junked all the original steel fuel line. i installed a brand new tank and sending unit and ran all new 3/8 hard fuel line.

i have all new brake parts waiting to go on as well. maybe ill do it this weekend?

i also got license and registration for it. first time in 24 years this car has been road legal!

i still nedd to figure out the exhaust. it rusted off under the floorboards and is loud as hell. i want to get some headers and build a system from there. run the pipes out the side in front of the rear tires on each side? not sure on mufflers yet either.