Help with my daily driver!! - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old December 31st, 2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
needs more boost

Help with my daily driver!!

Can anyone tell me if this can/is worth fixing? With the amount of rust i'd probably be better off getting a new vehicle but I really can't afford it right now. Really appreciate any advice you guys can give me!

Just driving down the road the other night and this happened lol

Just a supercharged 2v
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old December 31st, 2015, 09:50 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Got anymore pictures of the underside?

I know quite a few people on wranglerforum.com have threads about YJ/TJ rust repair. That would be a good place to start.

Last edited by AR Stang; January 6th, 2016 at 06:24 PM. Reason: I spelled a word wrong.
post #3 of 10 Old January 2nd, 2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
needs more boost

I'll try to get some more pics tomorrow. I went to wrangler forum.com first and looked through some threads but whenever I went to register it wouldn't let me so I ended up coming back here lol

Just a supercharged 2v
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old January 6th, 2016, 05:10 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

@2k2wranglerx is our new jeep expert

2000 Mustang GT vert - Gone
2002 Mustang GT coupe - Sold on 12/20/17
2007 BMW 335i
1994 BMW 328i - Foxbody 5.0 Swap
post #5 of 10 Old January 6th, 2016, 06:26 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03torchGT View Post
I'll try to get some more pics tomorrow. I went to wrangler forum.com first and looked through some threads but whenever I went to register it wouldn't let me so I ended up coming back here lol
That's odd it wouldn't let you register. For rust on these though I believe they even make weld in kits to fix a lot of the common area problems. I am not 100% though on that.
post #6 of 10 Old January 6th, 2016, 06:29 PM
MM Fanatic

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Edgethis
Crazy it broke like that, I would check that floorpan out too. Jeebus thats alot of rust.

1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5 Build Thread
1968 Mustang fastback 351w/C4 Fastback Build

post #7 of 10 Old January 8th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Regular

That tj isn't long for this world lol. you've got a couple of options.

they make these: Auto Rust Rear Trailing Arm Mounts Frame Repair Kit - Right Side - ART-124R

you're going to have a couple hours cutting and welding but it is a legitimate repair for that issue. the problem is, if that corner looks like that, then there's probably a lot of other places as well. and the body mounts on the tub (just from that pic) look like they're on their way too. if that's the case you're going to keep fighting a losing battle with rust... i see your fenders are gone too which is pretty typical.

i'm guessing that's a 4 cylinder? usually a 4 cyl with a rotten frame will bring a grand or so... assuming you have like, 140k miles, if you fix that frame you should be able to get 2500-3500 or so for it.

oh, your other option is a frame swap. places like D A V E Y S J E E P S . C O M - Specializing in Jeeps & Jeep Parts can sell you a clean frame and the swap really isn't that bad. it took me about 4 days to do the one i did. the front clip comes off in an hour. the tub lifts off with everything attached to it... problem is if your tub is rotten... then why even bother ya know...

What year/miles/trans/motor is the jeep?

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

also, jeepforum.com is a better resource than wranglerforum.

or Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world. but only post in the non-hardcore jeep section.
post #8 of 10 Old January 10th, 2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
needs more boost

^ How much do you think it'd cost to fix it? If I could get $3500 for it that would be amazing. Honestly at this point I just want to get it paid off and sell it lol It's a 1997 with 150k miles, 5 speed, and like you guessed it's a 4cyl.

Just a supercharged 2v
post #9 of 10 Old January 11th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03torchGT View Post
^ How much do you think it'd cost to fix it? If I could get $3500 for it that would be amazing. Honestly at this point I just want to get it paid off and sell it lol It's a 1997 with 150k miles, 5 speed, and like you guessed it's a 4cyl.
well assuming just that one side is junk you're looking at $250 in materials. if you can't weld then you need to find a shop to do it. i'd guess another $500 but it really depends on the shop and if they're afraid of it or not.

without seeing it i can't say. if there's other areas of rot on the frame you're probably better off to walk away or go get a clean frame and do a frame swap.

i did a frame swap with a buddy of mine and it took us a solid weekend. grabbed the impact gun and started zipping the thing apart. it really wasn't that bad. I think he had 400 bucks into a really nice frame. and maybe 50 bucks in new bolts.

that'd be what i'd do if i decided to keep it. also just FYI, you'll need a 4 cyl frame unless you want to get into cutting and welding new mounts. the 6 and 4 cyl mounts are in different locations and are welded in from the factory.
post #10 of 10 Old January 16th, 2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
needs more boost

^ I'm just getting a new car lol how much if anything would you say it's worth in it's current condition?

Just a supercharged 2v
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page