'98 jeep grand cherokee laredo - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old January 11th, 2016, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

'98 jeep grand cherokee laredo

well I finally got my hands on a back up/snow vehicle. too bad its a hand me down. my father and I have been looking for a cheap throw away truck or jeep for us for about 2 years now. after last winter we said fuck it since if i could drive this car threw that snow(8" fell in one storm multiple times) I should be fine.

well back in aug my father started filling out his papers to start drawing his pension at the age of 55. they asked him what he wanted done with his IRAs. he was like well how many do i have and what can i do with them. he got surprised to find out he had 5 different ones that equaled $15k. he threw one into his pension to make it add another $9 a month, rolled over a $3k into my nephews name, and took the other 3 for a total of $8k after taxes and penalties.

about a week later he shows up at my house in a '15 Nissan frontier and looks at me goes, "you got your jeep....but i will still need to use it once in awhile." so now i have a grand Cherokee that i have to piece back together and clean back up.....but i do have a low, low mileage(not even 128,xxx) '98 grand Cherokee in my drive.

which brings me to my first fix......do you guys think like me and think the turn signal switch is bad? it is clicking really loud and when you turn left or have hazards on it flashes really fast but right and it blinks normal. after that im off to fix the interior fan motor. im not going to reach over and pop the glove box to get it started every morning.

'00 v6: sold
'05 v6: crashed
'07 Jeep GC
'88 Mazda RX7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old January 11th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Regular

the good news is a 98 ZJ is a good rig. it's a laredo so i'm guessing it's not quadradrive (full time 4x4). if it's not that is a good thing. the viscous coupling in the ZJ quadra drives all go bad. as they also did in the WJ's. the front axle shafts use CV joints. But it's the same axle in all lp30 jeeps. so any wrangler, cherokee, (tj, yj, xj) shaft with a ujoint will work when they fail. i usually pay 50 bucks a side. so that's a good thing.

What motor's in it?

I can't help you on the turn signal or fan motor.
post #3 of 5 Old January 11th, 2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

It's got the 4.0 straight 6 under the hood. This thing is almost all orignal. The only thing done to it is the muffler rusted out and we had a pipe welded into its place. She is a little noisy but not wake the neighborhood loud.

'07 Jeep GC
'88 Mazda RX7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old January 11th, 2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimsonKnight View Post
when you turn left or have hazards on it flashes really fast but right and it blinks normal.
Might be a dumb question but have you checked to make sure all the turn signal bulbs on the left side are operating and not burnt out? A lot of times fast clicking in one direction and normal in the other is a burnt out bulb (or bulb replaced with a LED). Probably a dumb question, but worth checking first.

post #5 of 5 Old January 12th, 2016, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

one of the tings I checked where all the bulbs sonic. I was leaning toward the switch cause I get an annoying click under the passenger side dash when the signals are on also.

'07 Jeep GC
'88 Mazda RX7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page