2013 Ford Taurus brake sticking - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old February 13th, 2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
FBGM

2013 Ford Taurus brake sticking

I've had this car since November and today I noticed that when I came to a stop the rear of the car made a groaning sound. I could smell burning brakes and could feel my right rear wheel was very hot and for sure hotter than the rest of the wheels. Has anyone else had a problem on a ford and know how long it would take to replace. It looks like it's part of the caliper that holds the pads and because of corrosion it doesn't let the pad lift off the rotor so they are always dragging.

Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica wheels, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old February 13th, 2016, 05:16 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Pic would be nice but I think a good cleaning with a stiff wire brush or wheel should clean it up good enough to free it up. If it's the actual sliders that the ears of the pads are held I know I always get a new set included when I buy pads. Otherwise I think you would have to replace the caliper.

When mine started doing that it ended up that the internal ratcheting system for the e-brake was stuck. I ended up replacing the caliper, twice.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #3 of 7 Old February 13th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Dirt Dives Me Crazy

My parents 13 SHO did the same thing. I think it's a known issue that Ford doesn't wanna do anything about. The garage said they've had other cars with the same issue. Theirs were stuck and warped the factory rotors. They upgraded to powerstop carbon ceramic pads and their drilled/slotted rotors. Car stops on a dime now. It is a very noticeable difference. They haven't had the problem since. I pretty sure my dad checks where the caliper slides on the rear and cleans and greases it when they swap from winter to summer wheels twice a year as well.

https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic56003_1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old February 13th, 2016, 10:47 PM
MM Fanatic

Remove the calipers, LUBE the slide pins, if pads are worn down, replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
post #5 of 7 Old February 14th, 2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
FBGM

This is what I found. My calipers don't look like that at all in the video they look brand new, still completely silver and the areas where the clips are have no corrosion at all. I checked the pad thickness and theres still a lot of meat on them. I did double check to see if my E brake was off since Ive only used it once, I put it on and took it off. I then drove home and when I got home my rear rotors were completely cold after driving for 45 mins. I didn't take the wheel off since my dad said not to and that we would be taking it to the dealership on Monday. Ill try to get a picture of the caliper but it will be with the wheel on but Ill get several pictures from different angles of the caliper, rotor and pads.

Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica wheels, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
post #6 of 7 Old February 15th, 2016, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
FBGM

I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong so they are just gonna lube the slide pins up.

post #7 of 7 Old February 15th, 2016, 04:49 PM
DSMs are cool...

My dad's 2011 F150 had some weird break locking up problem..some pump was bad and they replaced like 2 calipers..

1973 Chevelle SS - 454...4300lbs hunting for 12's (13.1)
1993 Eagle Talon TSI: 5spd AWD Turbo. Fixing for DD fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page