3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dans02GT
  • 1 Post By Dans02GT
  • 1 Post By Dans02GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old April 13th, 2016, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

buying a mark viii for the motor, few questions

Hey guys,
I'm picking up a Mark VIII saturday to have a teksid block to build. debating keeping the b heads and intake as well.

I've read the swap thread stickied in the 99-04 section, so I know what I need for the motor and accessories.

As far as pulling the motor goes, I've done that on other cars so I can figure out 99% of it, just wondering if there are any bad spots to be aware of?

Also wondering what the best spot to lift the motor from is?

As far as the rest of the car goes, I'm looking for parts that are worth a few bucks before it goes to the scrapper.

Already planning on selling the transmission, computer, engine harness, coil packs (switching to COP and it's a 95, but too cheap to pass up), and considering selling the IRS setup. What else is worth more than the nearly nothing that the scrapper will give me? the interior is trashed, and the exterior is in ok shape but the paint is badly faded.

thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old April 17th, 2016, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

No one has any ideas?

So, I bought it, and it's sitting over my dad's pit. Y pipe and driveline are out, transmission is 90% out.

Planning on pulling the radiator, air pump, AC compressor, Power steering pump, and maybe a few other things tonight. might get the motor out if everything cooperates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160416_111222.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	181938  
post #3 of 10 Old April 17th, 2016, 02:29 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans02GT View Post
Hey guys,
I'm picking up a Mark VIII saturday to have a teksid block to build. debating keeping the b heads and intake as well.

I've read the swap thread stickied in the 99-04 section, so I know what I need for the motor and accessories.

As far as pulling the motor goes, I've done that on other cars so I can figure out 99% of it, just wondering if there are any bad spots to be aware of?

Also wondering what the best spot to lift the motor from is?

As far as the rest of the car goes, I'm looking for parts that are worth a few bucks before it goes to the scrapper.

Already planning on selling the transmission, computer, engine harness, coil packs (switching to COP and it's a 95, but too cheap to pass up), and considering selling the IRS setup. What else is worth more than the nearly nothing that the scrapper will give me? the interior is trashed, and the exterior is in ok shape but the paint is badly faded.

thanks guys
Advertise the parts on the SCCOA and TCCOA websites, the carrier for the final drive is aluminum, as are the rear lower control arms so they're highly sought after. The carrier will work in Cobras, but not the rear LCA's. The seats, if in nice shape, are worth buying to those with Mark VIII's, or with Thunderbirds or Cougars that want an easy upgrade.

As far as lifting the motor goes, I'd do it like pretty much any other modular.

The "B" heads do well with boost, but the "C" heads and intake are a BIG improvement, and much less hassle since you won't need a window switch or other switch to control the IMRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old April 17th, 2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on the rear carrier.

I'm aware of the shortfalls of the b heads. I have an s trim that's about to be sent in to go to si trim.

I might be able to get a set of c heads at pick n pull but aside from that I think id be better spending the money elsewhere.
Woodman likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old April 17th, 2016, 04:07 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the rear carrier.

I'm aware of the shortfalls of the b heads. I have an s trim that's about to be sent in to go to si trim.

I might be able to get a set of c heads at pick n pull but aside from that I think id be better spending the money elsewhere.
No worries. Yeah, if you have a blower already, stick with the B's.

Quote:
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
post #6 of 10 Old April 17th, 2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip on SCCOA and TCCOA. Looks like that rear end will net me ~$250.

That, combined with the sold transmission means that, before the rest of the car is sold/recycled, my block, heads and intake is costing me $50.

All told, I might make money parting this car and getting my motor.
Woodman likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old April 17th, 2016, 05:57 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on SCCOA and TCCOA. Looks like that rear end will net me ~$250.

That, combined with the sold transmission means that, before the rest of the car is sold/recycled, my block, heads and intake is costing me $50.

All told, I might make money parting this car and getting my motor.
I'm not a member on SCCOA, but I can post something up for you on TCCOA in the marketplace if you like.

Quote:
Quote:
post #8 of 10 Old April 25th, 2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Well, I said good bye to the Mark this morning. Scrap steel sure is cheap these days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160425_090600.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	182529   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160425_090449.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	182537  
post #9 of 10 Old April 25th, 2016, 05:05 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Well, I said good bye to the Mark this morning. Scrap steel sure is cheap these days.
That makes me sad... They were really nice cars. We wouldn't have the IRS in the Cobra or the current cars without them. Didn't even look that rusty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tears.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	182545  

Quote:
Quote:
post #10 of 10 Old April 26th, 2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
That makes me sad... They were really nice cars. We wouldn't have the IRS in the Cobra or the current cars without them. Didn't even look that rusty.
True.

This Mark gave it's frail life for my Mustang.

To be fair, this one was beat to shit.

If I can, at some point, I would like to build a Mark VIII as a "Cannonball Run" car. I think it would be perfect, and I already have a co-pilot.

The luxury of this car was obvious even in this example, and its' comfort would be perfect for the long range, high speed run.
Woodman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page