1998 GT - 4.6 Upgrades - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old November 12th, 2016, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

1998 GT - 4.6 Upgrades

I just purchased a 1998 Mustang GT, 4.6 5sp.... I had a car like this when I was younger but it was an Auto. I always wanted another little mustang to play with but I insisted it be a manual car. With that being said, I have it now and just trying to determine how I want to proceed with making it better.

The car has 93k original miles. I feel like thats great mileage considering its 18 years old.

It sounds like the throwout bearing isnt in the best condition, so I plan on replacing the clutch this winter. Advance Auto has a street/strip clutch for $214.99. Thinking about making this choice and also replacing front brakes and calipers because I have some pulling and brake noise. Not a big deal.

Moving on tho, I would like to bolt on some things to help with my speed, sound, and general performance. This is just like my "phase 1" of the project.

In this order, secondary to price and just a basic sequence I have put in my head. (I am posting this for guidance on budget and value from you mustang experts).

1. Upgrade Clutch
2. Replace pulleys on front of motor
3. Cold Air Intake
4. BBK Dual Stage Throttle Body
5. Headers with Cutouts (2.5")
6. X pipe exhaust and remove the cats in the process.

Again, this is just my phase 1, I have other ideas in the future such as...

1. Cam upgrade
2. get the heads rebuilt or replaced
3. Rearend Gear

If you guys or gals have any suggestions, please let me know. I look forward to hearing your advice.

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old November 13th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Regular

I have a 1998 GT myself. It had 62000 miles on it when I bought it from behind a barn under a oak tree. What I have done so far is replace all the bushings in the front end, new front lower control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar, rear control arms and axle bushings. I have Pypes the beast exhaust system on the way which includes x-pipe mufflers and tips. And the clutch will be replaced soon along with a set of 3.73's. No CAI is needed just take the silencer off the inlet.
post #3 of 5 Old February 1st, 2017, 12:42 AM
Regular

Spray it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old January 13th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Regular

Hey man, sounds like some good plans for the car! If you ever need parts, I can definitely hook you up for almost everything you listed!
post #5 of 5 Old April 5th, 2018, 08:14 AM
Regular

Sounds like a good plan!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page