1986 Panther Kallista - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old September 1st, 2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

1986 Panther Kallista

Looking for some opinions/advice for a pretty unique car. It's my dads 1986 Panther Kallista in Florida and it has some issues. I work on it when I visit them, but that's only a few days a year so we're going to transport it to Maryland so I can dedicate more time to it.

It has an N/A 2.3l Ford and came with a manual trans and carb, but the PO swapped in an auto and EFI. Over the years, I've replaced most of the 'quality' British wiring, flushed fluids, the coolant twice, hoses, fuel lines, belt, starter, relay, and other basic parts. HUGE chunks of rusted metal flushed out with the coolant so I'm not confident in the overall longevity of the motor, and we had the gas tank epoxy lined but it still has issues. The heater core is corroded and probably leaking, no gauges work, more re-wiring is needed, and I haven't even looked at the rear-end yet. I've got my work cut out for me, but the engine is first and foremost.

I've been thinking about getting a 2.3l turbo engine, and I'm assuming the motor mounts and trans would bolt up? What about wiring harness and engine management? Would it be more worthwhile to just get a whole donor car from the era? What about a 5.0 swap? I know just replacing the N/A 2.3l with another one would be the easiest, but if I'm replacing the engine, I might as well add a little power. I also have a running 1995 turbo Miata which would be a fun drivetrain to put in.

In short, I'm looking for a route to a fun and reliable car, and the choice of engine is the starting point. The car weights ~2,300 lbs so 200hp+/- would be plenty, especially over the stock 88hp. Thoughts/opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old September 15th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Bo Baustin

Garage
Is the 2.3 NA an L series?

If that's the case, a lot of ford/mazda 4 bangers should have the same mount locations.
post #3 of 3 Old September 26th, 2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Does that refer to the "Lima" engines? If so, then yes. I found an '87 Tbird Turbo Coupe for sale local and might pick it up just to have everything. Almost a shame, the Tbird is in impeccable condition, but for the price vs sourcing out everything, I think it's worth it for this particular project. I might even recoup some of the cost for the chassis.

1998 GT Convertible Auto - Magnaflow catback, CAI, Bilstein HD's, H&R Race springs, 3.55 rear with TORSEN diff, MSD Ignition, chassis strengthening bits (to be installed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page