Modded Mustang Forums banner

How fast do cop cars go?

27K views 194 replies 89 participants last post by  DickH 
#1 ·
I have heard that the crown vics max out at 110 mph. Do any of yall know more about cop cars?

#11 ·
I love that Movie! wish my car could do some of those drifts.
I heard they have stuff now that can tag a car so they don't even have to chase the car, all you gotta do is tag something metal, like the license plate, and eventually, you'll get caught.

#17 ·
Speed governor on a Crown Vic is ~127 according to my buddy that got one at auction. Not sure that they'd go too much faster than that, it's the 2v 4.6L going through an automatic, and the Police Interceptor package adds at LEAST 500 lbs to an already heavy Crown Vic.

#18 ·
I know for a fact that MS state troopers top out faster than 140.

I was driving to my house one Christmas night after spending the day with my family and I had to be at work at 3am that night so I was in a bit of a hurry. I had my cruise set 90mph for the 3 hour drive from my home town to my house. On an open stretch of raod I look up and see blue lights comming up behind me fast. I think "Aww HELL.... Im got". So I start slowing down and moving to the right getting ready to get my ass a speeding ticket. Well w/o even looking at this trooper in my mirror ...im thinkin he is comming up behind me. Right when I start to get off to the shoulder of the raod this guy flys by me so fast... he shakes my car! I was like WTF?! So I started speeding up again.. thinking wow I dodged that one. As he was pulling away I wondered how fast he was going so I down shifted to 4th and mashed the gas. I ended up getting right to 140mph and this trooper was STILL walking away from me. I couldnt gain a foot on him. I said screw it at 140 and went ahead and shut her down. Igot 15mins up the road and I see that troopers lights again. There was an injury accident in the south bound lanes (I was north bound) As I passed the accident scene they were landing a med helicopter on the road.

Anyway I rambled a bit too much but yeah... I know FOR SURE.... Mississippi state trooper cars are faster than 140.

#19 ·
You know, thinking about it, my buddies car wasn't an official PI car, it was just an ex-cop car. I'm 90% sure the PI cars have the speed governor removed.

That being said, you're still dealing with a very heavy car being propelled by a stock 2v Mustang motor.

Now, that's only the Crown Vics. I know next to nothing about the Caprices, Camaros, and other vehicles used.

#21 ·
just for the record 180K is 112.5. take the KPH and multiply it by 0.625.

oh and v606er whats the base for the question. Are you planning on trying to run.

we have the new chargers too but they are all v6 cars with a tune. There is only 1 v8 charger. And it belongs the the Sheriff.

#25 ·
My friend has a interceptor crown vic that his dad got at an auction. I raced him 1/4 mile and put like 5 cars on him . They are so heavy that they have no accel. Would not reccomend running from the cops though lol!

#26 ·
My friend has a interceptor crown vic that his dad got at an auction. I raced him 1/4 mile and put like 5 cars on him . They are so heavy that they have no accel. Would not reccomend running from the cops though lol!
you have to admit though, it would be fun

#27 ·
i doubt you can outrun the police helicoptors. i know of a cop w/ a SC'd charger and that thing is pretty darn quick. here's my s197 interceptor, i'm not a cop, but i am down w/ the 5-0.

#29 ·
the badges i got off ebay for $11. just this weekend this cop was looking at my car for a pretty long time, thought he was gonna harrass me, but turns out he's a car guy too.

#32 ·
back home im from a real small town in ohio with one cop and not even a police station the sheriff (21 years of age lol) they gave him a brand new 2000 crown vic and it topped out at 132 he races me all the damn time when i go back home like he will be able to outrun me lol

#35 ·
they have 1 undercover v8 charger where i live and it dove past me while i was sitting in the dunks parking lot the other night round 12. i must say that things a beast. i heard it far before i saw it, and there was a crown vic behind it that was also going WOT and it looked like it was standing still.

i followed them and they happened to be on their way to a strip mall that had caught fire.

#40 ·
i own a 1995 c.v. interceptor, I got off the tribal police here. It is set at 123mph up hill down hill and probally sideways(it dont shut down). How ever i had a stateboy checking out my ride, and he said he had one going 140 something before it blew, that one wasn't governed. most city and countys are governed about 110 mph, i guesse it depends on where the governor sits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.