Home protection..for a chick - Page 4 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 101 Old January 30th, 2012, 06:25 AM
More average than ever

I believe the hardest part about this whole business is if you could actually shoot a human being if needed be. Much easier said than done. I think I could do it, but the key word is "think". I have never shot someone, ergo, I can't say for sure if I could. But I do agree with the others, shotgun is best for home protection. If close quarters are what you would expect to shoot in, a hand gun would be much more maneuverable. Revolvers are more reliable than magazine-fed pistols, they don't jam, but are slower to reload. Just be sure not to miss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 101 Old January 30th, 2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowbaltSS View Post
I believe the hardest part about this whole business is if you could actually shoot a human being if needed be. Much easier said than done. I think I could do it, but the key word is "think". I have never shot someone, ergo, I can't say for sure if I could. But I do agree with the others, shotgun is best for home protection.

If close quarters are what you would expect to shoot in, a hand gun would be much more maneuverable. Revolvers are more reliable than magazine-fed pistols, they don't jam, but are slower to reload. Just be sure not to miss.
What you're trying to say w/ the two parts in bold b/c I'm confused. You recommend a shotgun for home protection. But then say a handgun would be more maneuverable in close quarters. So are you saying a handgun would be better for close quarters? I would classify a home as close quarters. So you can see where it's confusing.

post #63 of 101 Old January 30th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Priest of the Car Gods

Just some things to keep in mind with a shotgun: 00 buckshot is still very much powerful enough to kill/injure after passing through two typical walls. I don't recommend using it as a defense round for that very reason.

If you dig around, you can find videos on youtube showing how effective birdshot actually is, and it's low penetration through walls keeps you from accidentally shooting little Susie in next apartment over.

Function > Form, always
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 101 Old January 30th, 2012, 06:04 PM
One Man Wolf Pack

Send a message via AIM to 06RedfireGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowbaltSS View Post
I believe the hardest part about this whole business is if you could actually shoot a human being if needed be. Much easier said than done. I think I could do it, but the key word is "think". I have never shot someone, ergo, I can't say for sure if I could. But I do agree with the others, shotgun is best for home protection. If close quarters are what you would expect to shoot in, a hand gun would be much more maneuverable. Revolvers are more reliable than magazine-fed pistols, they don't jam, but are slower to reload. Just be sure not to miss.
I know I could if I had to. No, I have had to but I am 100% certain I could pull the trigger in that situation. When you are pointing a gun at someone is not the time to decide this. I know the ramifications of that action, and have come to terms with them. God forbid I ever have to, but if I do, it will be because my life, or the life of a loved one is in danger and hesitating in that moment gets people killed.

You should not own a firearm for self defense if you do not feel the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendDexter View Post
Just some things to keep in mind with a shotgun: 00 buckshot is still very much powerful enough to kill/injure after passing through two typical walls. I don't recommend using it as a defense round for that very reason.
Home Defense Test For Shotgun Ammo - YouTube

If you dig around, you can find videos on youtube showing how effective birdshot actually is, and it's low penetration through walls keeps you from accidentally shooting little Susie in next apartment over.

I prefer not to use a load where thick clothing could be considered armor. Birdshot is for birds, buckshot is for bad guys.

Now if you live in an apartment, there can be an exception to this. If I lived in an apartment, my 6 round capacity shotgun would be loaded #6 #6 #4 #4 00buck 00buck with the #6 being loaded last to be the first to fire. I will admit that the large majority of people who would break into a home would be scared off by being hit by small shot, but I'm not going to trust my life to statistics. I want something with more balls there if I need it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #65 of 101 Old January 31st, 2012, 12:19 AM
More average than ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
What you're trying to say w/ the two parts in bold b/c I'm confused. You recommend a shotgun for home protection. But then say a handgun would be more maneuverable in close quarters. So are you saying a handgun would be better for close quarters? I would classify a home as close quarters. So you can see where it's confusing.
Mostly depends on the layout of the house and its size. For tiny hallways, the handgun could work better for searching room to room if you hear someone in your house. If you know the intruder is in a spacious room like the living room, a shotgun would be preferable imo. So many variables to consider. Overall a short shotgun with like a 18in barrel or so would be my first choice.
post #66 of 101 Old January 31st, 2012, 08:48 AM
All Homo All The Time

I have a illegal sawed off 12 gauge loaded with 000 buckshot, should get the job done.
post #67 of 101 Old February 1st, 2012, 10:18 AM
Old timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare69 View Post
I have a illegal sawed off 12 gauge loaded with 000 buckshot, should get the job done.
Yeah, good luck with that, you will be sharing a cell with billy bob when you shoot someone with an illegal gun.
post #68 of 101 Old February 1st, 2012, 10:22 AM
All Homo All The Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Yeah, good luck with that, you will be sharing a cell with billy bob when you shoot someone with an illegal gun.
My buddy who is a LEO said I can have it as long as I dont take it out of the house and can use it for home protection. Plus I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6 anyways.
post #69 of 101 Old February 1st, 2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
My buddy who is a LEO said I can have it as long as I dont take it out of the house and can use it for home protection. Plus I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6 anyways.
I would rather be judged by 12 for using a legal gun than judged by 12 for using an illegal gun. If you cannot protect yourself w/ a legal gun, you need to work on your real world shooting and less digital shooting.

post #70 of 101 Old February 1st, 2012, 01:29 PM
All Homo All The Time

Quote:
I would rather be judged by 12 for using a legal gun than judged by 12 for using an illegal gun. If you cannot protect yourself w/ a legal gun, you need to work on your real world shooting and less digital shooting.
Im waiting for my extended mag and frag rounds to come in for it.
post #71 of 101 Old February 1st, 2012, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
What do you mean by fray rounds? I wasn't aware there were fragmenting slugs. Google turned up the exploding ones.
post #72 of 101 Old February 1st, 2012, 05:39 PM
One Man Wolf Pack

Send a message via AIM to 06RedfireGT
Quote:
Quote:
Your LEO friend is retarded and doesn't know the law. If the barrel is shorter than 18" you are committing a federal felony of being in possession of an unregistered short barrel shotgun. If you use it in self defense, even if justified, you will go to jail.

My advice to you is to destroy the barrel immediately and buy one of legal length.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #73 of 101 Old February 1st, 2012, 05:41 PM
Official Thread Killer

Garage

'06 v6 - sold
'07 GT/CS - 10/10/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
Well my ass ain't going to fill it self motherfucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocolleenox View Post
I thought it was big enough Rukus.
post #74 of 101 Old February 1st, 2012, 05:44 PM
Skirt Chasing Philanderer

Quote:
FYI-Neatly placing grenades in a circle doesnt constitute a frag round...

Just saying...

post #75 of 101 Old February 1st, 2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brought_pain View Post
What do you mean by fray rounds? I wasn't aware there were fragmenting slugs. Google turned up the exploding ones.
It's a BF3 reference from my comment.

post #76 of 101 Old February 1st, 2012, 05:54 PM
BWAL Is My Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastFox View Post
FYI-Neatly placing grenades in a circle doesnt constitute a frag round...

Just saying...

I LoL'd.
post #77 of 101 Old February 1st, 2012, 06:09 PM
Old timer

Quote:
Your LEO friend is an idiot then. You cannot even own that weapon much less use it.
post #78 of 101 Old February 1st, 2012, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
It's a BF3 reference from my comment.
So no fragmenting shotgun slugs? THAT FUCKING SUCKS! I WAS KIND OF EXCITED!!!!
post #79 of 101 Old February 1st, 2012, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
You sawed off your shotgun and told your buddy cop? Are you for some reason capable of owning a sawed off shotgun legally? Are you a tighty-whitey special forces guy? Does the shotgun squirt water?

I think some specifics aren't being told...
post #80 of 101 Old February 1st, 2012, 06:56 PM
BWAL Is My Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by brought_pain View Post
You sawed off your shotgun and told your buddy cop? Are you for some reason capable of owning a sawed off shotgun legally? Are you a tighty-whitey special forces guy? Does the shotgun squirt water?

I think some specifics aren't being told...
Ya. Like he is 16 and doesn't even own any guns. Much less a sawed off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page