Gun guys get in here - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old September 24th, 2014, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
gtscrewd

Gun guys get in here

Going to be getting a handgun for the house,never have owned one we've got rifles for hunting etc. What's a good handgun that's not going to break the bank and has easy features aka wife friendly. Just a side note not picking this up to go shooting every weekend. Just going to be around in case shit hits the fan.

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old September 24th, 2014, 10:09 PM
One Man Wolf Pack

Send a message via AIM to 06RedfireGT
Budget?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #3 of 21 Old September 24th, 2014, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
gtscrewd

200.00 / 400.00

July 2013 rotm winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old September 24th, 2014, 10:28 PM

Honestly, I think the best bang for your buck is going to be a Glock, XD, or M&P. Find one of the desired caliber and whichever one feels good to you.

I believe they run around $500, so a little over your budget. But all three are quality firearms, great first pistols, easy to operate, and will last a lifetime if cared for.

post #5 of 21 Old September 24th, 2014, 10:37 PM

I trained my wife on a springfield XD 9mm. very easy to use
post #6 of 21 Old September 24th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Fox2102 Send a message via MSN to Fox2102
If you can get your budget in the 450 - 550 range you can pick up a nice glock, springfield XD, or a smith and wesson.

In the 300 - 400 range I would suggest a sigma series smith and wesson. Good round count, reliable, and has a rail for a light. It's pretty much a glock clone but the trigger on them sucks.
post #7 of 21 Old September 24th, 2014, 11:57 PM
One Man Wolf Pack

Send a message via AIM to 06RedfireGT
Find another $100. There are tons of quality guns in the $500 range.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #8 of 21 Old September 25th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Cornholed Manthusiast

Yea hold out and spend 450-500 on a Glock or M&P

Care packages for the troops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastFox View Post
The world has turned into such a safe place that idiots are now capable of not only thriving, but reproducing as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1dmb! View Post
I use my Mustang to impress other guys.
post #9 of 21 Old September 25th, 2014, 01:34 AM
Chicken Fucker

I picked up my M&P Shield for about $345 OTD. It's on the smaller side but it's been very accurate and reliable. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Stang View Post
moral of story drugs are a hell of a drug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
Peni are evil, conniving assholes. They do this to us all the damn time. Don't trust it!
post #10 of 21 Old September 25th, 2014, 01:37 AM
sev
Regular

Like others said, Glock / M&P / XD would be a good fit. Used they're going to be mid 300, low 400's. New will be 500ish depending on where you go and the store price. Could be slightly higher, could be slightly lower, these are very rough estimates. Call different gun stores and ask for prices

9mm ammo is cheap and magazine capacity is high on all of these pistols in that caliber. Recoil is also light, so neither you nor the wife should have problems shooting

But remember: you're not just buying the gun. You are also going to need ammo (both practice and SD), magazines, cleaning accessories, maybe a holster etc. Depending on what your definition of "shtf" is, this can be a 1 or 2 hundred dollars, or it can be a thousand or more.

Remember also: you have to train to be proficient and safe. This involves potential range fees, costs of training ammo, costs of classes (if you so choose to take one) etc. It takes time and practice to become proficient. Make sure you take the wife and have her learn as well. At the very, very least, have her learn to handle it and unload it.

Do not let these potential costs deter you. Shooting is a great hobby and a great sport to get involved in. It is also good that you're looking to be prepared.

If standing at a range shooting at paper isn't your thing, take a look for IDPA matches or things of the like. Make it interesting and you'll get into it.

Good luck and stay safe

Last edited by sev; September 25th, 2014 at 03:46 AM.
post #11 of 21 Old September 25th, 2014, 04:12 AM
FBGM

Faym go down to Manchester firing line and go shoot some of their pistols to see what you want.

Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica wheels, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
post #12 of 21 Old September 25th, 2014, 11:18 AM
MM Fanatic

XD, M&P, or Glock are all great guns and will fill your need. Nothing wrong with buying used guns either. Take it out and shoot it, make sure it works ok, but I've only ever traded in guns to buy different guns. I have a 3" 1911 I bought used for $400 that shoots great and is flawless.

Make sure you and your wife practice, and use the gun. If either of you aren't 100% sure in it's operation, it could go badly in a defensive situation. I would also recommend carrying at all times, especially if you and your wife can get a CCW permit. If you can't, at least carry in your home. You have no idea how far away your bedroom is when someone is kicking in your door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
post #13 of 21 Old September 25th, 2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
gtscrewd

She just came home with a beretta 92fs it's used but seems brand new. Thanks for all the info guys

July 2013 rotm winner
post #14 of 21 Old September 25th, 2014, 07:43 PM
"out of order"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
I picked up my M&P Shield for about $345 OTD. It's on the smaller side but it's been very accurate and reliable. Just my 2 cents.

i +1 this. i have 2 shields i bought the 9mm for my wife and i have the .40. paid 360 for the 9mm and 370 for .40. my wife easily got the hang of it. no hiccups out of them. easily concealed. overall great pistols only thing i dont like is. magazine capacity and thumb saftey on the slide.

they are colorfilled now. mine is silver and my wife's is hot pink.
i also have glock's,kahrs and a kel tec p11.. from my experience do not go with a keltec. my p11 will stove pipe randomly. it could go through 4 mags and no malfunction or it will stove pipe 2 times the next mag. (not trusting my life or familys life with that.) i carry either a glock or s&w.
hope this helps!!

Carolina Crew #9
post #15 of 21 Old September 25th, 2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faym 08 View Post
She just came home with a beretta 92fs it's used but seems brand new. Thanks for all the info guys
A quality firearm, I have one myself. Make sure you practice with the firearm. I got mine and it shot WAY low. Low enough to the point I questioned if I would be able to shoot accurately enough to hit in a high stress situation. I had 3 other people try it, shot low. I dragged a table and rest down into the field. Shot the handgun from a rest and it was still low. Even when completely covering the bullseye with the sight, it was low. I had to get a new rear sight to make it shoot on target. I know a lot of people say their guns shoot low and it's because of the shooter (not the sights). That's why I had 3 good handgun shooters try it and then had it shot from a bench rest. Just make sure you're able to shoot your firearm accurately enough for your needs.

Also, there's a spring upgrade you can buy for cheap from Brownells that makes the DA pull SIGNIFICANTLY lighter and it's very easy to install yourself. I don't remember the PN, but I'm sure a quick Google search would get you a number.

post #16 of 21 Old September 26th, 2014, 10:37 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

That Beretta is a quality pistol. Nice choice. I have a px4 and like it a lot. I was gonna recommend the m&p shield also. I got mine for $310. Great gun. It's my favorite carry pistol by far. I shouldn't have painted it gold amd polished the barrel but it tucks away nicely. Lol

"Happiness is being blown and stroked at the same time"
V6 => Teksid 302 stroker
Caitlyn Jenner swapped
My Build Thread click link
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html
post #17 of 21 Old October 13th, 2014, 12:47 AM
its JUSA 2V

Also a shield owner, prob my fav handgun i own, but that beretta is a nice gun also

THE BUILD THREAD

380/360 [email protected] 2.1 60' on nt555's

daily 99 7.3 supercrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG2V View Post
he literally gets bj's from hamsters
post #18 of 21 Old October 14th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Made in U.S.A.

Those kinds of deals on the Shield aren't available now it seems like. I paid MSRP but I wanted it now so I was willing to pay for it. A month ago I could of got it for $400 but that sale ended. Found some places online selling for $385 but like I said I couldn't wait. Planning on getting some TFOs on it ASAP. Probably polish the feed ramp, etc.

On a random note, for whatever reason I still get annoyed that more companies don't package their guns in nicer cases like Springfield. I don't even ever rarely use those cases but I still like them! lol
post #19 of 21 Old October 14th, 2014, 10:54 PM
its JUSA 2V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
Those kinds of deals on the Shield aren't available now it seems like. I paid MSRP but I wanted it now so I was willing to pay for it. A month ago I could of got it for $400 but that sale ended. Found some places online selling for $385 but like I said I couldn't wait. Planning on getting some TFOs on it ASAP. Probably polish the feed ramp, etc.

On a random note, for whatever reason I still get annoyed that more companies don't package their guns in nicer cases like Springfield. I don't even ever rarely use those cases but I still like them! lol
Yeah... shield comes in a cardboard box... springfield comes in a cut foam hard plastic case lol

THE BUILD THREAD

380/360 [email protected] 2.1 60' on nt555's

daily 99 7.3 supercrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG2V View Post
he literally gets bj's from hamsters
post #20 of 21 Old October 14th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Enthusiast

Not a handgun but perfect home protection weapon, Remington 870
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page