How do you practice shooting your CCW? - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old December 5th, 2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt

How do you practice shooting your CCW?

Just wondered how you guys practice shooting your CCW of choice?

I've been going to the range a lot recently, and the first few times I went was just to try shooting different things, now that I've settled on one I'm wondering what's the most effective way to train with it?

I see some guys at the range that take their carry guns in and they'll shoot at 15 yards or less, and rip through ammo in a hurry, basically pump and dump, which seems practical to me. Plus its a lot of fun

Other guys, they'll put the target further away and shoot slower.

Is it just a matter of personal preference or is there a "right" way to practice shooting a carry gun?

Also, for anyone that gives a shit, I settled on the Glock 42. I was originally going to get an LCP, and still might down the road, but the Glock was a little bit easier to shoot, probably because its a tad bit bigger. Still fits in my back pocket with a wallet holster and goes bang, which is all I wanted.

MM BRONY CLUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattlebot View Post
It's good looking and it feels so nice and soft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old December 5th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Regular

Any range trip I have I take 2 approaches. First draw from concealment and Fire rds on target at varying distances. Focus on a fast smooth draw. Getting the gun up and out of concealment is crucial in a confrontation. Some indoor ranges do not allow drawing from a holster which causes problems here. Fire at 7, 15, and 20 yds. See how fast you can push at each distance while still staying accurate and on target.

At the end of the range session I try and run at least 2 mags through the gun with slow controlled fire focusing on sight picture and trigger control. This allows you to end on a skill that is extremely necessary to stopping a potential threat. Trigger control and soft picture are the biggest things people struggle with when shooting a pistol.

Happy to answer any other questions you have.
98FireyGT! likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old December 5th, 2015, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

I'll give that a shot! Thanks man.

MM BRONY CLUB

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old December 6th, 2015, 02:22 AM
sev
Regular

also practice reloads.

Have a friend load your magazines with random numbers of rounds. Practice reloading from however your carry your reload (if you carry a reload). As an alternate, have your friend put some snap caps in randomly. Practice clearing malfunctions.
post #5 of 24 Old December 6th, 2015, 04:27 AM
At the Apex pulling 1.28g

Send a message via Yahoo to Whiskey11
Human reaction is to fire as fast as you can. I tend to practice using a blank 8.5"x11" sheet of paper at various ranges. I shoot as fast as I can and keep the rounds on that paper. Keep backing up until I have to slow down.

Do it enough and you'll get pretty damn fast and accurate.

I also have range trips where my single goal is to stress myself out as much as I can. Run, jump, pushups, fire on the move, fire from awkward positions, fire offhand, etc. Why? Because stressing yourself out and pushing limits helps you a.) know where those limits are to begin with, and b.) push those limits higher.
98FireyGT! likes this.

2015 Mustang GT/PP Autocross Build Thread:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-pp-build.html
post #6 of 24 Old December 6th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Disturbin' The Peace

a combination of regular target shooting and shooting after drawing
haven't practiced reloads yet, but it a gun that only holds 5+1 it would be a good idea

2002 Lightning
2003 Mustang GT-Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by L
In the 21st century, information is power, to where any human being can learn how to do anything with the touch of a button. With that the most powerful thing a person can do is share ideas and information.
post #7 of 24 Old December 6th, 2015, 06:46 PM

I'm no expert but I also started out from shooting mainly rifles and shotguns. I never really grew up with handguns. That's not to say I didn't shoot them (when at the range with my dad's friends I would shoot their handguns), but my parents didn't own any when I was growing up.

That said, I really started with the basics when I started carrying. Everyday I would go out and target shoot at various ranges to get familiar with the gun. Standard punshing holes in targets and nothing special. When not on the range I would practice drawing and bringing up in the house. After I was familiar with the gun I would hold it down by my side and bring it up and shoot quickly at a target (various ranges). Once I got decent at drawing in the house, I took it down to the range and practiced drawing and shooting from my holster.

Now I have an app downloaded on my phone for practice. What I press start it will wait a random time before beeping. At the beep I draw and shoot 3 or 4 rounds. The app records the shooting and logs time for each shot. I started very close to the target and moved back as I got better.

I'm not saying this is the right way or only way to practice, just what I do.
98FireyGT! likes this.

post #8 of 24 Old December 6th, 2015, 07:39 PM

There are endless ways to train. As already mentioned, practicing reloads and clearing malfunctions is essential, so is firing under stress. Doing pushups and running before shooting is good for this. Also lots of dry firing and trigger reset. I train shooting on the move- forward, backwards, sideways, kneeling, prone, behind cover, behind concealment, 1 hand, sideways, drawing with opposite hand, striking target and drawing, have partner grab/choke you while firing, shoot past/have partner shoot past you to understand the stress of having rounds go by and having non threats in your line of fire, low light, no light, and flashlight techniques as well. Obviously all this over time...As far as distance, I like to start around 100 yards, then go to point blank and work my way back, just my preferance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
fuck a willing possum
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
lol seriously.. who the fuck bowls sober and pays for it?
post #9 of 24 Old December 7th, 2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1dmb! View Post
There are endless ways to train. As already mentioned, practicing reloads and clearing malfunctions is essential, so is firing under stress. Doing pushups and running before shooting is good for this. Also lots of dry firing and trigger reset. I train shooting on the move- forward, backwards, sideways, kneeling, prone, behind cover, behind concealment, 1 hand, sideways, drawing with opposite hand, striking target and drawing, have partner grab/choke you while firing, shoot past/have partner shoot past you to understand the stress of having rounds go by and having non threats in your line of fire, low light, no light, and flashlight techniques as well. Obviously all this over time...As far as distance, I like to start around 100 yards, then go to point blank and work my way back, just my preferance.
Shooting by someone is one of the dumbest things I've heard, IMO. Have a firing line and no one goes in front of it except for cease fires. That's basic gun safety that should always be followed. I would be surprised if anyone else agreed that shooting past someone is a good idea.

Also, starting at 100 yards seems excessive for carry practice. But that's just my opinion.
98FireyGT! likes this.

post #10 of 24 Old December 7th, 2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
Shooting by someone is one of the dumbest things I've heard, IMO. Have a firing line and no one goes in front of it except for cease fires. That's basic gun safety that should always be followed. I would be surprised if anyone else agreed that shooting past someone is a good idea.

Also, starting at 100 yards seems excessive for carry practice. But that's just my opinion.
I guess it depends on your reason for carrying, but I think its dumb to not train like you would fight in a real life scenario. If your engaging an active shooter in the mall your going to have to aim past/between people.

Quote:
fuck a willing possum
Quote:
post #11 of 24 Old December 7th, 2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
If your engaging an active shooter in the mall your going to have to aim past/between people.
So set up barrels or have something rolling through your sight picture. Stuff that when you inevitably miss isn't going to potentially kill someone.

I really hope you're not training like you picture a real life scenario and shooting between people as they run by. I'm hoping the "dumb not to train like a real scenario" statement just happened to get mixed in with the "aiming past/between people" scenario. If you're really shooting past people and especially people running past/around your target then I have no response as I'm completely baffled.

post #12 of 24 Old December 7th, 2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
So set up barrels or have something rolling through your sight picture. Stuff that when you inevitably miss isn't going to potentially kill someone.

I really hope you're not training like you picture a real life scenario and shooting between people as they run by. I'm hoping the "dumb not to train like a real scenario" statement just happened to get mixed in with the "aiming past/between people" scenario. If you're really shooting past people and especially people running past/around your target then I have no response as I'm completely baffled.
The idea is to feel what its like to have rounds go past you and feel confident when in real life, inevitably, non targets are in or near your line of fire. Its a stress test. Obviously everyone involved has to be confident in their skill level to do it. They made us do it in the police academy, and although it was scary, I felt completely confident when I did it. People weren't running around, we had a firing line and every other guy would walk forward and shoot about 5 yards ahead of the line while the guys behind us shot in between us, then the line would walk up and do the same.

Quote:
fuck a willing possum
Quote:
post #13 of 24 Old December 7th, 2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure the RSO would kick me the fuck out in a hurry if I tried any of those sort of things. I live in an apartment, its not like I have my own private range to do whatever I please, so I gotta follow the rules set by the range owners.

MM BRONY CLUB

Quote:
post #14 of 24 Old December 7th, 2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FireyGT! View Post
I'm pretty sure the RSO would kick me the fuck out in a hurry if I tried any of those sort of things. I live in an apartment, its not like I have my own private range to do whatever I please, so I gotta follow the rules set by the range owners.
Yea thats why most public ranges suck, especially indoor.

One thing you can use if the place you go has it though is taking the counter off in your booth and set it up for cover. They should be okay with you doing that.

Quote:
fuck a willing possum
Quote:
post #15 of 24 Old January 16th, 2016, 09:51 AM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FireyGT! View Post
Yes I would. This is basic range safety. I would also give you a match DQ and ask you to leave if you tried this at any of the matches I where I was a range officer. Absolutely no one goes down range until all guns are cleared and made safe. I understand why police officers may train that way but no way is that happening at a public range.

For a CCW gun with a 3" inch barrel I would practice mostly at 5-15 yards (15-45 feet). Buy some USPSA targets. Staple two together. The one in front is the victim and the one in back is the villain. Try shooting the villain without hitting the victim.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #16 of 24 Old January 16th, 2016, 01:26 PM
MM Fanatic

My range doesn't allow drawing your weapon from a holster, nor rapid fire. Plus their closest targets are 7 yards.

So I practice by picking the gun up off the bench, taking the safety off, and getting the first shot on target. Once I got to the point where I can pick up the gun from various positions and hit the target accurately on first shot, I felt more comfortable.

I also practice at a gravel pit near my grandmother in law's house. Then I can do draw and multiple shot drills, and I do most of them at 5 to 7 yards, my goal being to empty a magazine quickly but on target, and being able to reload from my carry position and maintain accuracy.

While at home, I double and triple check that I have an empty chamber, and practice drawing and getting on target often. Many times while sitting on the couch, and also when going from room to room. Usually this is done when I'm alone or when everyone else is in bed, and the weapon is always pointed in a safe direction, and I keep my trigger discipline in check.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote:
I guess it depends on your reason for carrying, but I think its dumb to not train like you would fight in a real life scenario. If your engaging an active shooter in the mall your going to have to aim past/between people.
I disagree. If you're in an active shooter situation, your priority is not to take down the shooter, especially if there are civilians between you and the shooter. Your priority is SELF defense. You are responsible for every bullet you fire, and if one of them hits a non combatant, you're going to jail for manslaughter.

You do not shoot if your shot is not clear. Period. Your priority in an active shooter situation is to defend yourself, not everyone else. Watch that video of folks practicing an aggressive active shooter. Not a single one shot past other people, and 3 out of 4 got shots on target. Only 2 "won" because they had the shooter wearing body armor, but still, you don't go in guns blazing like a movie. You shoot close.

Way, way too much potential to shoot/kill some innocent person otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
post #17 of 24 Old January 16th, 2016, 05:12 PM
FBGM

Once you get the basics down I like to add a little challenge because the likely hood your going to be calm is zero, I like to do something that will get your heart rate up. BTW I only do this when there's no one at the range, I do jumping jacks. Not a lot but enough to feel your heart pumping. That way you get used to sway and trying to focus on what you need to hit.

And woodman I think he's thinking from a LEO perspective.

Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica wheels, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
post #18 of 24 Old January 16th, 2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
My range doesn't allow drawing your weapon from a holster, nor rapid fire. Plus their closest targets are 7 yards.

So I practice by picking the gun up off the bench, taking the safety off, and getting the first shot on target. Once I got to the point where I can pick up the gun from various positions and hit the target accurately on first shot, I felt more comfortable.

I also practice at a gravel pit near my grandmother in law's house. Then I can do draw and multiple shot drills, and I do most of them at 5 to 7 yards, my goal being to empty a magazine quickly but on target, and being able to reload from my carry position and maintain accuracy.

While at home, I double and triple check that I have an empty chamber, and practice drawing and getting on target often. Many times while sitting on the couch, and also when going from room to room. Usually this is done when I'm alone or when everyone else is in bed, and the weapon is always pointed in a safe direction, and I keep my trigger discipline in check.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

I disagree. If you're in an active shooter situation, your priority is not to take down the shooter, especially if there are civilians between you and the shooter. Your priority is SELF defense. You are responsible for every bullet you fire, and if one of them hits a non combatant, you're going to jail for manslaughter.

You do not shoot if your shot is not clear. Period. Your priority in an active shooter situation is to defend yourself, not everyone else. Watch that video of folks practicing an aggressive active shooter. Not a single one shot past other people, and 3 out of 4 got shots on target. Only 2 "won" because they had the shooter wearing body armor, but still, you don't go in guns blazing like a movie. You shoot close.

Way, way too much potential to shoot/kill some innocent person otherwise.
My job makes taking down the shooter #1 priority, but you're right, it otherwise isn't priority. I'm not suggesting that it's a good idea to go in guns blazing, but it's not always going to be an ideal opportunity to take a shot. I guess I should have specified that carrying with a pistol permit is different than carrying with a shield. I can be covered to some extent if I hit a civilian, as I'm expected to take the target down and its on me every second they continue to engage. This is why I train the way I do, and I'm just saying it's not a bad idea for anyone else to.
Woodman likes this.

Quote:
fuck a willing possum
Quote:
post #19 of 24 Old January 16th, 2016, 10:01 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

What extent would you be covered? Under my states laws you cannot endanger innocents to engage combatants. Id imagine new york laws are not less restrictive. Basically in our training it was "if you cannot stop the threat without endangering others you cannot fire."
Woodman likes this.

Procharged 2000 5 Speed BAB GT, built motor, blower cams, 10 lbs, lee blankenship tune 430/405

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
post #20 of 24 Old January 16th, 2016, 11:17 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
My job makes taking down the shooter #1 priority, but you're right, it otherwise isn't priority. I'm not suggesting that it's a good idea to go in guns blazing, but it's not always going to be an ideal opportunity to take a shot. I guess I should have specified that carrying with a pistol permit is different than carrying with a shield. I can be covered to some extent if I hit a civilian, as I'm expected to take the target down and its on me every second they continue to engage. This is why I train the way I do, and I'm just saying it's not a bad idea for anyone else to.
Since I'm not a police officer, I can't think like one. Yes, training under stress is a good idea, but not realistically feasible for most of us. We are limited by (in my mind) very sensible safety rules at our ranges to keep people from shooting themselves in the foot, shooting others around them. We simply can't in most cases train like you do.

I'm also curious about what protections you have when on duty. I understand having some limited amount of liability in certain situations, but I can't imagine it being authorized to shoot into a crowd. The potential for a lawsuit is staggering.

Quote:
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page