Need feedback on rivals - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old August 28th, 2015, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Need feedback on rivals

I have sorta decided to put a supercharger in my wimpy six which means running in CAM. yay! I looked into tire options and it seems BFG rivals are the only ones with 315 or 335 width for my 18x11 forgestar. Or is there other autocross type summer tires available around that size? I was wondering if any of you have used rivals before or suggest a different tire of around that width. For rivals how long do they last (for close to peak performance) if used only for autocrossing? Any particular nuances of it that you know of?

"Engineering. Where the noble semiskilled laborers execute the vision of those who think and dream. Hello, Oompa-Loompas of science."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old September 4th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Regular

Garage
Nitto makes the NT01 in a 315/30/18 it is their best track tire. It has a tread wear rating of 100. I use Nitto NT05's and I think they have excellent grip but they only go up to 295s
post #3 of 19 Old September 8th, 2015, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by condore View Post
Nitto makes the NT01 in a 315/30/18 it is their best track tire. It has a tread wear rating of 100. I use Nitto NT05's and I think they have excellent grip but they only go up to 295s
For CAM class minimum UTQG is 200. so NT01 is out

"Engineering. Where the noble semiskilled laborers execute the vision of those who think and dream. Hello, Oompa-Loompas of science."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old September 11th, 2015, 04:44 AM
Regular

I think bfg is going to be it for cam. But I did read the new Bridgestones are going to be made in 295 next year hopefully that happens.

'00 Mustang 266hp 305 ft/lbs Sold
'14 Mustang premium with track package
post #5 of 19 Old September 11th, 2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam03rc View Post
I think bfg is going to be it for cam. But I did read the new Bridgestones are going to be made in 295 next year hopefully that happens.
cool. looking at the test data bfg S does not sound much behind Stones, although the stones are better all across the board. 315 stones will be just awesome. It is very hard to convince companies to manufacture such big tires because the customer base is virtually none.

post #6 of 19 Old September 11th, 2015, 10:35 AM
At the Apex pulling 1.28g

Send a message via Yahoo to Whiskey11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalendu123 View Post
cool. looking at the test data bfg S does not sound much behind Stones, although the stones are better all across the board. 315 stones will be just awesome. It is very hard to convince companies to manufacture such big tires because the customer base is virtually none.
RE71R's in 305/XX/19 next year... no word on wider 18's though.

2015 Mustang GT/PP Autocross Build Thread:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-pp-build.html
post #7 of 19 Old September 11th, 2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey11 View Post
RE71R's in 305/XX/19 next year... no word on wider 18's though.
I think 19 is getting more popular recently aided by big brake compatibility. So they may not even consider wide 18s.

post #8 of 19 Old September 11th, 2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I think 19 is getting more popular recently aided by big brake compatibility. So they may not even consider wide 18s.
Sadly.... if going to an 18" wheel didn't completely screw all of my gearing in stock class, it'd be on the list of wheels to buy. They do exist (Forgestar CF5's fit over the 15" rotor 6 pot brembo's on my car) but DAMN are the tire choices all too short for the gearing in this car.

post #9 of 19 Old September 11th, 2015, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Sadly.... if going to an 18" wheel didn't completely screw all of my gearing in stock class, it'd be on the list of wheels to buy. They do exist (Forgestar CF5's fit over the 15" rotor 6 pot brembo's on my car) but DAMN are the tire choices all too short for the gearing in this car.
Yup makes sense. The biggest attraction between 18 vs 19 is price difference in tires. Tires for 18 are much cheaper. My F14s fit 14" 4 piston brembos for sure. Not sure if my 30 mm effective offset in front can accommodate 15" brakes or not. Well 14" brakes should be plenty enough for our cars.

post #10 of 19 Old September 11th, 2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Yup makes sense. The biggest attraction between 18 vs 19 is price difference in tires. Tires for 18 are much cheaper. My F14s fit 14" 4 piston brembos for sure. Not sure if my 30 mm effective offset in front can accommodate 15" brakes or not. Well 14" brakes should be plenty enough for our cars.
The issue for most wheels isn't spoke clearance, it's barrel clearance to the outer edge of the caliper. For instance, my 18x9 Enkei PF01's clear just fine with a small spacer because the barrel of the wheel hits long before the caliper is anywhere near the spokes.

post #11 of 19 Old September 11th, 2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
The issue for most wheels isn't spoke clearance, it's barrel clearance to the outer edge of the caliper. For instance, my 18x9 Enkei PF01's clear just fine with a small spacer because the barrel of the wheel hits long before the caliper is anywhere near the spokes.
Yup. precisely.
Btw looks like it has been pretty interesting (read frustrating) nationals for FS muscle car folks. Is it too early too assume that if the M3 stay in FS, all mustang/camaro participations will move to STPony (?) or ESP? The street tires are clearly not helping the muscle cars in FS.

post #12 of 19 Old September 11th, 2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Yup. precisely.
Btw looks like it has been pretty interesting (read frustrating) nationals for FS muscle car folks. Is it too early too assume that if the M3 stay in FS, all mustang/camaro participations will move to STPony (?) or ESP? The street tires are clearly not helping the muscle cars in FS.
Couple of things really screwed FS up that I'll cover more in depth in the build thread but it boils down to this:

Rain on day one on the power course and dry on day 2 on the transitional course... that pretty much explains the dominance of the M3's.

post #13 of 19 Old September 11th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Regular

I'm still trying to decide what to do for next year sell my 18x9 sve drifts with 265 rs3 to raise money for something wider just not sure what do 18x10 or 11? Trying to stay cost friendly

Been watching the results from nationals all week, stangs got killed in FS, cam-c times were almost the same as FS that class needs some help to make it bigger but then youd have big names missing from street touring and ESP. And Peters dominates ESP what does he have done to that sstang to be that fast??

post #14 of 19 Old September 11th, 2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I'm still trying to decide what to do for next year sell my 18x9 sve drifts with 265 rs3 to raise money for something wider just not sure what do 18x10 or 11? Trying to stay cost friendly

Been watching the results from nationals all week, stangs got killed in FS, cam-c times were almost the same as FS that class needs some help to make it bigger but then youd have big names missing from street touring and ESP. And Peters dominates ESP what does he have done to that sstang to be that fast??
The Peters Mustang is maxed out in just about every way except the goofy update/backdate stuff. I'm pretty sure the only comfort the car has left is the AC but it is definitely on coilovers/swaybars/watts link/aero. Tires were 335's all the way around if not wider. It's the car that Boardkat and I have been discussing the past two years or so that no one has built until this year.

post #15 of 19 Old September 12th, 2015, 05:04 AM
Regular

Thats absolutely crazy, love to see it in person and look it over for sure.

post #16 of 19 Old September 12th, 2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
The Peters Mustang is maxed out in just about every way except the goofy update/backdate stuff. I'm pretty sure the only comfort the car has left is the AC but it is definitely on coilovers/swaybars/watts link/aero. Tires were 335's all the way around if not wider. It's the car that Boardkat and I have been discussing the past two years or so that no one has built until this year.
Well the driver matters the most. I think Peters and Dollmeyer showed that very well co-driving a car. And Dollmeyer took the second place on a 4.6 GT. As I always believed we are not there yet to rule out the old 4.6 motors.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Quote:
cam-c times were almost the same as FS
Yeah that baffles me too. For a class like CAM, it should be faster than FS. Then again it depends on set up and drivers.

post #17 of 19 Old September 13th, 2015, 12:07 PM
F*stocker

Quote:
Yeah that baffles me too. For a class like CAM, it should be faster than FS. Then again it depends on set up and drivers.
The reason CAMC times were close to FS times is because we ran day one on the wet and they had both days dry. Otherwise it would have been a rout in favor of the stock class cars.

If CAMC becomes a national class, that will change as some midpack drivers would be tempted to move over for a better chance at a trophy.

2013 Mustang GT track pack - AX rat, 2013 X1 s28 M Sport - DD

Contributing blogger at racingready.com......wannabe to real racer!
Autocross with SASCA
post #18 of 19 Old September 13th, 2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Well the driver matters the most. I think Peters and Dollmeyer showed that very well co-driving a car. And Dollmeyer took the second place on a 4.6 GT. As I always believed we are not there yet to rule out the old 4.6 motors.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Indeed. The Peters car doesn't have the same development and prep time that the Dollmeyer/Bergstrom car has and Dollmeyer/Bergstrom have been running wide ass tires for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time which is part of the reason that car is as fast as it is. Dollmeyer is a hell of a driver too which helps! I wonder if he is still lurking around here on the forums. He used to anyway.

As for CAM-C... it doesn't surprise me at all. That class is so underdeveloped right now it doesn't surprise me that they are running the times they are. When a real CAM-C car shows up, the real pace of the class will be shown and it will be slower than ESP but not by much.

post #19 of 19 Old September 13th, 2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Indeed. The Peters car doesn't have the same development and prep time that the Dollmeyer/Bergstrom car has and Dollmeyer/Bergstrom have been running wide ass tires for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time which is part of the reason that car is as fast as it is. Dollmeyer is a hell of a driver too which helps! I wonder if he is still lurking around here on the forums. He used to anyway.
It does take time to get used to wide ass tires. Finally I have started to get the hang of it.
I too think CAM class participants are mid pack drivers at best as of now and not well prepped cars. Honestly a well CAM-prepped fox body or a turbo coupe can be almost unbeatable - light weight with a power punch. To achieve that in S197 or S550 is much tougher (aka costly) mainly because of inherently more weight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page